• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

A Review of Avantair

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
avantair doesnt have an hourly fee like the other fractionals. the fractional share prices and edge card hourly fees account for the average repo time.

Noodles just make it clear you left four years ago and not on the best of terms. You didn't leave you were asked to leave. It would be like a netjet pilot who left four years ago giving an opinion on how the netjet pilots are treated today. It is worthless info. The fact is no one has quit as a pilot for a long time and my experience is people are very happy.

The only reason we know who the poster is, is because we can't remember the last time one of us quit before him

Noodles just make it clear you left four years ago and not on the best of terms. You didn't leave you were asked to leave. It would be like a netjet pilot who left four years ago giving an opinion on how the netjet pilots are treated today. It is worthless info. The fact is no one has quit as a pilot for a long time and my experience is people are very happy.
Actually, you must have me mixed up with some one else. I did not leave 4 years ago, it was more recent than that. Also, I was not asked to leave, I left when I wanted to.

I know several pilots that have left since I did, so you need to get your facts straight before you start making assumptions you know nothing about.

I can't count the number of times I was called and threatened by the CP or DO to do something that was clearly unsafe, or to fly a broken airplane. I still remember asking the instructor during flight training about calls/flows/procedures and being told "This aint no f'n airline, we don't do the ******************** here."

I refuse to work for a company that has a complete disregard for safety, ecourages their pilots to ignore the FAR's, and treated their people like dirt.

noodles, didnt the DO (Joe M) and CP (Dave V) leave some time shortly after you. While I can see that DO telling you it was ok to break a reg, I cant see the CP telling you to. you still bent out of shape over it? didnt i hear u asked to come back at one point? let it go before you give yourself an ulcer. you always were a little high strung.

btw, did you get on with alligient? if you did, good for you.

Last edited:
Noodles I was referring to been there done that. No one has left other than one person for about six months or more. From your previous posts it is at least three years ago get over it already

Hey HazMat.....is it true that 12 months ago, Avantair "layed off" about 5% of its workforce (none of them were pilots).....and that occured while hiring was at a frenzy?

I figured we'd start hearing from the old guard, surprised it took 9 posts to get a Noodles response. Don't know him, but since he,(I believe), was gone by the time I started here 3 years ago, the currency of his experience with the company is a bit lacking.

As to the first post, without going on the attack, I'd like to relate my experience here.

Three years this month, 2.5 of which have been as Captain, not because I'm anything special, but hiring was at a boom when I started. Sad that the state of the economy has thwarted Mr Beentheredoneit's progression, but what operator is doing much upgrading right now? How about the fact that Avantair hasn't done any sort of reduction, not even an awesome voluntary offer, ala Netjets.
My bills are paid, my check is on time, my OT appears every week, and I have a better QOL during my time off than I had at my regional job, or my prior, self-employed non-aviation career.
Putting one kid thru college, spending lots of quality time on my days off with kid #2.

Health insurance has not been a problem for me. Geographically, where I live seems very friendly with our provider, my dental is covered by my dentist of almost 20 yrs, my chiropractor appointments don't need a referral. It'd be nice to get Mr BTDI to have commented on a policy that he was familiar with, not one he declined.

Mx issues have never been a problem for me. If it's broke, write it up, and it'll get fixed. If people are feeling pressured, it hasn't been my experience. Genuine, broken problems have always been taken care of wherever I've been.

Sick days...never taken one except for an injury that kept me from flying for 2 tours. So, I have no experience with partial tour sicktime.

FO pay is being looked at right now. The company realizes that the non-upgrade issue at this time merits some kind of increase for FO's second year pay, and the Pilot's Advisory Committee is working on it. Again, who else in the aviation industry is discussing a pay raise right now? Not even the almighty NJ! (that brass ring is pretty awesome, though!)

FO flying live, and night. He's correct on those facts, but unfortunately, I don't think we're 2/3 to 1/3 live/repo, more like 55/45%. And, any FO who has a good standing streak of good landings can ask the captain flying with him to send a rec to the training office, and usually get released to fly live legs before the 225 mark. AS for night flight, it's important to keep PIC's night current, which is tricky in the summer. I had to go do 3 laps around the pattern in SUS last year on summer solstice, that was a late evening!

FO Blackberry, unfortunately not. But the company gives $25/mo to help with FO personal cell usage. (Wish we'd had that when I was an FO!)

All in all, I'm very happy here. I've found Avantair to be a gradually improving, getting-better-all-the-time operation. In my 3 years, I've seen the fleet more than double, go from a 8/6 to a 7/7 schedule, streamline the Start day and Vacation bidding process, and really develop a quality Flight Standards Procedures Guide and training dept. I have no plans to move on, and I'm really sorry to hear from someone who was obviously unhappy.
But, I guess I won't ever have to sit next to him for 7 days listening to the complaints! It really drags your week to hear someone whine non-stop, luckily I feel that the happy/unhappy ratio is closer to the 90/10 that Mr BTDI disputes.

I'm an Avantair Line Pilot, and I approve this message...

(Longest dern post I've ever done)

I am a Captain here with Avantair but for only about half the time as Maniac. I completely agree with Maniacs Statement. As for unhappy pilots I believe now in this economy there is even less than 10% unhappy. Thank God because I can't stand a whiner especially when there is nothing at all to whine about. I have heard the stupidest complaints on the road but it has been a long time since I have had to tell someone to man up and do his job.
I am familiar with Beentheredoneit's situation (we have only had one FO resign recently) and am surprised he is even posting here lest the real truth about his attempted checkride were to surface. From what I hear he is lucky he was given the chance to resign. Another reason Avantair is a class act. As you see I never post but this thread really chaps my A$$! Thanks Beentheredoneit's for shinning such a dim and unfair light on the 500 plus people who are trying to feed their family.

I can't count the number of times I was called and threatened by the CP or DO to do something that was clearly unsafe, or to fly a broken airplane. I still remember asking the instructor during flight training about calls/flows/procedures and being told "This aint no f'n airline, we don't do the ******************** here."

I can assure anyone that this statment does not represent the current attitude in training.

Latest resources

Back