Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
TOM CLANCY?!

it's not fiction,

but it appears that you and I have philisophical differences on this issue. Please note I said "appears".

I' m deleting the previous post. JD, please delete your
quotes of what I said regarding the former subject.

Shebib as well.

just please consider,

I think I read it on this message board.....

"in order for evil to triumph, all good men must do...
is nothing"

FF

Last edited:
FlyingFarmer said:
Hey Guys!

Rumour control please........
I "heard" that you guys are seeking FAR
modification for domestic 8 in 24 in order to do
.........Transcon one day trips.....???

Is this true?

FF

You jetBlue guys are a bunch of whores. Period.

Hawaiian Airlines tried to pull this crap about a year ago. It was supported by their pilot group and in fact, a pilot developed the system. He also tried to patent it. I'm not kidding. The site is

www.schedulewithsafety.com

I'm not kidding. That's the URL.

I am sick and tired of jetBlue whoring themselves off and putting even more pressure on our work rules. You idiots need to get a clue. That would be a great name for one of your jets. "Clueless Blue"

You jetBlue guys are a bunch of whores. Period.

Nice language. You kiss your mother with that mouth, jjp?

I'm not going to get into a debate with anyone on this topic, for it seems that we'd be more likely to agree on abortion or our favorite BBQ place before we'd agree on extending the 8 hour rule...

At the very least, I'd like to think we could discuss the topic without reverting to name calling.:(

Just MHO...

At first I thought this was a cool idea, but after analyzing it - I don't like it.

I have lost faith and believe safety is just the line being fed to the FAA. There are just too many reasons why the most senior amongst us want it for personal scheduling reasons - who cares about safety.

Just my opinion.

What is the big benefit to management? As I see it, all they save is the hotel cost for two pilots and a little per diem. This doesn't require fewer pilots to run the schedule. The airline won't save a ton of money, but the pilots will be more productive. This benefits the pilot group more so than the airline.

Let's recap...
30 in 7 to remain
100 in 30 to remain
1000 in a year to remain
Duty day limits to remain (or poss be shortened)
Limited to 2 legs a day
Limited to normal waking hours
Maybe a limit to prevent flying these trips in two consecutive days.

I've flown plenty of 14-15 hour days that had 4-6 legs, and that is much more fatiguing than a 13 hr day with 2 legs.

Boeingman said:
What you guys fail to realize is that eventually ALL airline mangements will try and exploit this to their advantage. If you guys are truly supporting this, I guess it is true there is a thing called Blue Kool Aid.

Thanks a lot guys. Enjoy the wrath of your peers over this.

Exemption my ass.

Bman,
I am the last one to be accused of drinking the kool aid, but I support the plan. Read my other posts, it is a win-win-win-win situation. It is only a lose-lose-lose to those that hate change, or for those that like rigged trips, or those who don't want to be at home with the wife and kids.

Just my opinion...

FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-atch
How about 8 hrs. flight time and a 12 hr. duty day......That sounds better..

Sounds great, but can't be done. Only the top 10% of pilots get such a schedule. Not even JB can get the average productivity up to 7-8 hours. Like I said, it sounds great, but is not do-able.

However if you could do any two legs and get anywhere between 9-11 hours per day, in a 14 hour day, that would be great. Remember any two legs. Would not have to be a Transcon. How about JFK-FLL-LGB ron LGB-FLL-JFK. That would be about 9 hours per day and 18 for the trip. With a duty day of less than 12. One more good day trip and you have 26 hours in three days. Net result would be 80-90 hours in 10-11 days, with shorter duty days than doing four legs JFK-FLL-JFK-BUF-JFK to get 8 hours in a 14 hour day.

Now if you did true transcons, JFK-SEA-JFK and get 11.5 hours in 14 hours, and then do it again you get 23 hours in 2 days. Just add a 3rd day of 5-6 hours and get 29 hours in three days. Thats 85-90 hours in 9 days. with only 14 hour duty days.

Everyone needs to remember that the hours per pilot does not change (30 in 7, 100 per month, 1000 per year). Thus the number of pilots needed by each airline remains the same. But we become more productive and get more time off, more rest per layover and more days off. If you only want the minimum number of hours, you could get your hours in 7 days and have 23 days off! Sounds like a win-win-win-win for everyone.

Win for the pilot (see above), win for the company (reduces layovers, perdiem and hotel costs) helping with cost and saves your paycheck from cuts, and win for the unions by no reduction in the number of pilots to pay dues, win for the commuters as this waiver would not affect them. I guess the only loser are the guys who like to bid rigged trips as there would be no need to rig a trip. (but again saving the companies money and your job/paycheck)

But just my opinion...

FNG

Boeingman said:
I am sure you meant trying to change some of them. If you are happy flying your ass off for your wages fine. It is not a question of bemoaning your company or it's policies, but a blatent attempt to change a FAR that has an unlimited potential for abuse. You guys are more in dreamland than I thought if you don't think other managements will exploit this rule. The FAR's are a joke as they stand now and you want to relax them even further?

I guess that you are all so enamored to be flying for a living you can't see the true consequences and ramifications of your actions for the rest of your peers within the industry.

The race to the bottom continues.

This is the purpose of a Union, to stop crap like this from happening. Oh wait....Jet Blue doesn't have one!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back