A Question for Blue-Aid Drinkers?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Tony:

Thanks for taking the bait and expending a little effort to educate me on the definition of productivity. However, you missed the point I was trying to make. That is while you may consider yourself as a commodity at your company (like the boxes you fly in your airplanes), it doesn't mean that it's universally applied like some law of physics everywhere else.

Since it's safe to say that you've never stepped a foot onto jetblue's property, it's easy to understand why you would think the way you do about how jetblue management may view their employees. Again, conventional "wisdom" gets turned on its head when casual observers make such generalizations with jetBlue's CURRENT operating philosophy. Taking a page from SWA, jetBlue's management views their employees collectively as assets, not a commodity, in how the airline executes it's business plan.

Why make this point on this thread? Because it serves as a basis for how jetBlue managers and pilots can come together to study methods for making the business run more effectively without suspecting that there are hidden agendas or ulterior motives lurking on either side. You know....it's that thing called trust. A very rare and precious "commodity" in this or any other business.

Unlike you (and others) who come from backgrounds where "trust" is only gained through contractual enforcements, and hardball tactics of negotiating, you are spring-loaded to hold a suspicious view as to the reasons for JB pilots' motives in this case. Meanwhile, I believe JB pilots are trying to find ways to make their system work better for reasons that are unique to their operations and concerns. They presently don't have to carry the same "baggage" around that you all seem to have about the true motives of management (good vs evil). Its not because they don't understand human relations or how airlines really work, but most likely because they find themselves in a remarkable situation that may only come around once in very few people's lifetimes. Don't label them as naive because they are trying something that is impossible for most of you to duplicate.

Yes, I agree the FARs have been written with the blood of others past errors, and good intentions, but as I stated before not all airlines operate the same way, with the same schedules, and the same efficiencies. Yet they must all work under a generic set of operating rules known as the FARs. I think that all JB pilots are doing at this point is studying the possibility of how specific exemptions to these generic rules can help their specific operations run more efficiently and safely.

PERHAPS you need to give them the benefit of doubt for a moment. Let them study this without your biased opinions being thrown at them in a way that reminds me of a schoolyard pushing match by a bunch of young males feeling the first pulses of testosterone course through their loins.

G4G5, you say that JB pilots have not answered your demand for how this improves safety. Yet just a few posts back DGS gave you his answer. Did you not read it? Or do you just refuse to accept that what he posted has any validity?

I for one think he gave a good consideration as to why this could help IMPROVE SAFETY for some JB pilots. You, and others, haven't answered the question as to how flying more hours during a specified amount of crew duty period (i.e. 14 hours) is more dangerous than flying fewer hours in the same period of duty.

GO ahead and take your poll if it makes you feel better. But I don't think it has any significance either way in this forum.

Everyone else can cry and scream and wrap themselves in the banner of safety, but its just a bunch of background noise by people who very likely have other interests at heart. You see I am inclined to suspect people's declared concerns as the reason for what really motivates them. It is much more plausible that you and others feel threathened by what could happen even if it's demonstrated that jetBlue's pilots can come up with a feasible exemption that works for them. Again they have no obligation to resist making improvements to their operations for the sole purpose that other airlines and pilot groups would be unable to participate equally under the same exemptions.

For the record, I am not a jetBlue pilot, but a former ALPA member and current furloughee.

Last edited:
Maybe you should read my post. DGS offers his opinions as to why he feels that he would rather fly a trans con turn. That's fine he is entitled to his opinion and I am not interested in making this a B6 bash session.

What he completely fails to mention is how this will improve safety and that's my question to you.

NASA Ames is very clear. They have technical data supporting the FACT that a relief pilot helps to improve safety on extended duty days (see above post). What they DO NOT say, is making two pilot fly more hours is safer.

NASA Ames is also clear in their opinion that the 10 hour layover is not the answer. BUT their advice is NOT to completely eliminate it. Some rest is better then No rest at all. (see above post)

NASA Ames also is clear with their representation of circadian rythm. It's always best to stay on your own clock. But how does JetBlue plan to do that? Is my clock the same as a 55 year old pilot out in Calf who commuted in last night or is it the same as 30 year old guy who has 3 kids. You can't possibly come up with a "One rule fit's all" for extending the 8 in 24.

One thing that NASA Ames is clear on is that you have two circadian low points during the day. Between 3-5am and 3-5 pm. With the extension of the 8 in 24 you are now asking pilots to be awake and active during both if their low points. What will most folks be doing between 3-5 am, commuting to work for thier 6am sign in, disturbing their circadian rythm. What about 3-5pm, most likly getting ready to descend into the worlds busiest airspace after flying all 8+ hours, 4000+ miles.

What's stoping them from commuting in on the red eye the night prior to a turn?

How many of these turns will you do in a week? A month? A year?

What's stopping a pilot from doing a 11:30 flt time, trans con turn on Mon, then a (5:45 flt time) Fl turn on Tues followed by another Trans con turn on Wed? Almost 30 hours in 3 days. Please, how does this improve safety?

Improving quality of life at the expense of safety is unaccepatble.

So, once again.
How is it safer? How does removing the 8 in 24 restriction make this industry safer? You and all of the other JetBlue pilots have failed to answer that one simple question.

If it's not safer then why do it?

Last edited:
Improving productivity is fine, I think it's something that we all should try to do for our airlines. Cleaning cabins or flying more efficient, you pick it. Just as long as we operate within the confines of the FAR's. They are their for a reason. Safety.

The productivity advantage, that most of you refer to, will be short lived. The day after this is passed, your advantage will be lost. Do you think for a minute that SW will not be flying ISP/PVD/BAL/ECT-LAX/OAK as soon as they can? For cheaper? Do you think that Airtran and Frontier will just give in because they can't do LGA-LAX turns? Or will they start them out of one of the other NY airports (maybe even JFK)? What about the majors, they can operate the same turns on their high density, lower cost, 757's (Song's 199 seats) or 767's? What about the regionals of the world? How long will it take before AA has Eagle operating ERJ 195's out of JFK to LAX and back? Why stop at LA? The other majors can start to SFO/OAK, SEA, SAN. Jet Blue doesn't have enough equipment to keep up if everyone starts doing it.

You are actually inviting increased competition. Because to think that no other airline will be doing this is absurd. They all will and some are poised to take advantage of it at JetBlues expense.

Let's try and keep this in perspective. If you want to improve QofL, that's fine, who doesn't. But try to remember Nelman's big picture. You will soon have plenty of equipment to maximize your 8 in 24 and 30 in 7. Today you only have 45-55 aircraft. How many will you have in the next few years?

Their will be plenty of time to increase sequence productivity. What about LGB-JFK-ATL? A 15.5 hour two day works for most of us. My point is, as the airline gets larger the sequences will improve and so will your QofL.

Doing this now just opens a can of worms that does not need to be opened and what's worse, once it's open, it can never be closed.

Last edited:
While I understand the Jet Blue pilots want to simplify their life a little more and correspondingly make their company more efficient, any incremental savings they achieve with an exception to their Ops Specs will only serve to drag the entire industry down until the FAR's mean nothing and everyone wants an exception to the rule.

This demeans the entire profession and the Jet Blue pilots should know that their actions have repercussions beyond their immediate needs. Getting a win in the short term could end up costing you more than double in the long term.

Fly safe, fly smart.

Last edited:
To reiterate or summarize much of what has been said:
This is a slippery slope you are treading on. It may seem to help your schedule now, but if you can work 12hrs a day insteady of 8, why not 45 a week instead of 30. Pretty soon you are expected to fly 125 hours a month just to pay the mortgage. Even if this is not your intent, it is the Pandora's box you are playing with. If you think otherwise, I will be blunt and tell you you are delusional. I have seen a quote on this board that 80% of JetBlue pilots are ex Mil. To me this says you may have a large percentage of folks unaccustomed to Management's nasty tactics. All may seem rosy now, but I GUARANTEE it will bite you and every other 121 pilot in the a$$.
If you're really worried about safety, fight to ban your daytime naps and prevent flying through your "cycle". Flying 12 instead of 8, yeah that's safety:rolleyes:

This has been an amazing thread to read.....the most amazing thing to me is the fear in all the airlines of JB. They are asking for an exemption--for themselves. The arguement that what they do will affect the rest of the industry is absurd. The other airlines management may try to implement the exemption, but isn't that why you pay the $$ into your union funds? If the pilots at your airline don't want this exemption, then fight to keep it out of your next contract.

I am new on this board and read a lot of the "Blue Coolaid" and how the JB pilots/FA walk lock-step with what their Mgmt asks. Why do the rest of you care? If they're not asking for a FAR change, get OVER IT!! If anyone is drinking the cool aid it's the old paradigm following, I won't/can't change my ways pilots who are attacking JB and their employees.

Your anger is obvious---someone has come in and is stirring the pot and you're afraid it might affect you---it MIGHT, but after what the last 2 years has shown, maybe it would be for the best....stop running around being scared/jealous at what JB is accomplishing and concentrate on making your airlines a better place to work.

Fast learner???

RShebib said:
This has been an amazing thread to read.....the most amazing thing to me is the fear in all the airlines of JB. They are asking for an exemption--for themselves. The arguement that what they do will affect the rest of the industry is absurd.

Your anger is obvious---someone has come in and is stirring the pot and you're afraid it might affect you---it MIGHT, but after what the last 2 years has shown, maybe it would be for the best....stop running around being scared/jealous at what JB is accomplishing and concentrate on making your airlines a better place to work.

Another thread - AlbieF15

Originally posted by RShebib (on the above-linked thread)
Being a F-16 pilot...I have to admit...I have NO idea what that ["8 in 24" rule] is...yet......but I'm learning....so no, I have no opinion on it yet.......

It appears that you didn't take long to form an opinion of a matter about which you admit knowing nothing. Your righteous indignation is a bit misplaced, in my judgment.

Again, Congrats on the interview - - concentrate on getting a job for now, then study this topic, THEN weigh in with an educated opinion. ;) ;)

GOOD LUCK !

Tony...

You're right, I know very little on the day to day operations of the airline industry....I was not trying to impart my wisdom (or lack there of) on the specific subject.......just my overall impression of how people have reacted to what JB is attempting to accomplish...thanks for the words on the interview.....should be an exciting 50 minutes!!!

Dizel8 said:
"Start at 8 in the morning, fly to LGB arrive at 3 pm EST, an hour turn, leave at 4pm EST, be home by 9 EST. 13 hrs of duty, 11 hours of flying, 2 legs, 2 landings. I'll take it!"

if this is going to be limited to "only daylight" hours then it is a long shot even in the summer time. i don't think it will happen, and I don't think it should happen either..

Dead Thread!

Geez - had to go all the way back to October 8th to revive a dead thread? I think we pretty much covered all the angles on this.

AKAAB

PS - "freelance" is the American spelling. Cheers!
;)

Latest resources

Back