A Question for Blue-Aid Drinkers?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Purpledog said:
Tell me what happens after oil gets stuck at $80+ a barrel and your company is hemmorraging money quarter after quarter. Do you think your management will be so "nice" then and not twist your expemption into trying to get back to the black? You all might have a good relationship now, but this could, and probably will change when money becomes a problem. Good luck, I hope it never happens.

I'll tell you exactly what they will do. (although I am sure you will not believe it, and I don't care). They will come to the pilot group in a calm, concerned way and ASK for help. You see, we have a level headed relationship with our management group and I certainly don't expect you to understand. There have been many (repeat many) challenges and downturns in this business that have effected JB in a negative way over the past 5+ years and we (all of the JB team) have fielded them quite well in my opinion.

Example in the form of a question: How many airlines had cutbacks and furloughs due to 9/11? I'll tell you what I think is correct. I can think of maybe three that did not, of which JB was one of. In fact, we only cut back our flight schedule for about 2-3 weeks and did not furlough or cutback ONE PERSON. In fact, although they withheld the "promised" 32% pay increase, they paid it retroactively a few months later (just in time for a fat Christmas check, which was awesome).

Does that answer your question?

C yaaaaa

Whether or not the pilots at JB support this decision really doesn't much matter. They are 5 year "contract" employees, and should the company choose to inpose a new work rule, safe or otherwise, they have no choice but to accept it or find employment at another airline.

JB pilots have no legally protected collective voice that is independant of their companies management. Good luck to the "individual" pilots that stand up against dangerous work rule changes.

Last edited:
Echopapa said:
Whether or not the pilots at JB support this decision really doesn't much matter. They are 5 year "contract" employees, and should the company choose to inpose a new work rule, safe or otherwise, they have no choice but to accept it or find employment at another airline.

JB pilots have no legally protected collective voice that is independant of their companies management. Good luck to the "individual" pilots that stand up against dangerous work rule changes.

You oversimplify the situation here and make it sound like 1930...

We have no collective bargaining agreement here..
But we have a legally binding employment agreement that autorenews at 5 years.

There have been no purging of the masses..
Actually... we have a few knuckleheads over here that would have probably been fired by now at other places but they are still tooling around in their A320s..

BELIEVE me...
There are WAY too many guys over here with ALPA and other organizing backgrounds...

The fastest way to an inhouse union would be pilot pushing..
I think we could have ballots out and back in record time....

I'll tell you exactly what they will do. (although I am sure you will not believe it, and I don't care). They will come to the pilot group in a calm, concerned way and ASK for help.
Thank you for making my point. They will come to you and ask you to fly 5 legs up to your exempted 9 hour block you so foolishly lobbied for. Take off the blue goggles and look at it objectively. Oil is only going up and something is going to have to give for you pax guys to make ends meat. Be careful of what you ask for, you might just get it.

Latest resources

Back