Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
IB6 UB9 said:
Why do airlines have unions?

Well...let me take a stab at that. Is it so your rusty sherriff's badge doesn't look like a train drove through it? Fortunately we don't have that problem over here yet. Yet? If that time comes we'll be sure to get the number off our furloughed cards and make the call!

Captain Overs said:
This is the purpose of a Union, to stop crap like this from happening. Oh wait....Jet Blue doesn't have one!

Hey,
If we at JB want this, let us do what we want. IF we had an inhouse union, our members would vote yes on this. Let your union protect you from the change if you don't like it. (just like scope clauses, hour limits, etc). Or just like the age 60 rule (oh, they have changed their position on that recently haven't they......) Unless you don't think your union is worth a crap.

Just my opinion....

FNG

Dizel8, in one of your posts you wrote: <<They wish to do Hawaii out and backs>>. That was already the case @ ATA/Omni/Ryan/Southern and actually anybody who wants to do it since done under Intl rules.......

heilhaavir said:
Dizel8, in one of your posts you wrote: <<They wish to do Hawaii out and backs>>. That was already the case @ ATA/Omni/Ryan/Southern and actually anybody who wants to do it since done under Intl rules.......

I heard it was Hawaiian or Aloha looking for this, but I stand corrected, thank you. I guess the body gets less tired if it is Int'l:), however, are we talking two or three pilot crews?

A point of correction for the ALPA haters at jB: ALPA has not changed their position on the age 60 rule. They have simply started an information campaign to enlighten the membership on the origins and background of the age 60 rule. The plan is to inform the membership and THEN poll the membership on what they think of the age 60 rule. After polling the membersip it is quite possible that they may change their position on the age 60 rule. At this time ALPA has NOT changed its stance in regard to the age 60 rule.

Over a year ago I promised the blue koolaid drinkers that I would mind my own business about jetBlue and what I thought about some of their policies. I have lived up to that promise. If you are going to take a cut at ALPA (which I would argue you have every right to do EVEN if you aren't a member - free country right, even though I wasn't supposed to comment on jetBlue since I didn't work there) you should at least have your facts straight.

By the way, I am against any changes or exemptions that increase either the 8 hours per day or duty time limits per day.

Just my humble opinion.

Again, best of luck to all the folks at jetBlue.

FJ

At this time JB has NOT changed its stance in regard to the 8 hr limit!

They have commenced research on the circadian rhythm issue and after those facts are in, they will then determine their course of action. It is very possible, that they will not endorse changing the limits.

NASA has long recommended, that pilots be allowed to take short naps in the cockpit, however, the FAA has strenously disregarded this, even though it is practiced overseas and that it has been proven alertness is increased.

We all know, that rather nasty schedules can be built. Schedules that are very fattiguing and that can wreak havoc on the body, the FAA and the airlines has been dragging their feet on this. DW even mentioned his dispproval for the lack of a NPRM. Before you go shooting from he hip and calling all JB pilots stupid, let's at least have a look at the data. Who knows, it may show that an overhaul is needed, without changes to the 8 hr rule and this might prompt the FAA to finally take action, as they did with he Whitlow letter!

Last edited:
Falconjet said:
A point of correction for the ALPA haters at jB: ALPA has not changed their position on the age 60 rule. They have simply started an information campaign to enlighten the membership on the origins and background of the age 60 rule. The plan is to inform the membership and THEN poll the membership on what they think of the age 60 rule. After polling the membersip it is quite possible that they may change their position on the age 60 rule. FJ

Wow..

this thread comes back to life...
from when...?
January??

Hey Falcon..
I still get the ALPA mag..

don't you really think the "informational campaign" is just positioning to save face...?

No one can argue that things have changed..

Going to 62-63 looks very doable...

Scary part is if we have to adopt European standards of physicals...
Resembling the old AMR interview physical..

Don't know how many people will want to sign off on that...
But 62-63 may not require that drastic of a rewrite of the regs...

????

I feel bad for a LOT of guys...
The USAirways guys are screwed....
Nothing like expecting an 80-90k pension and then be looking at $25,000/yr..

That is CRIMINAL....

this 8 in 24 exemption is being very suspiciously looked at by most in the jb group... esp the guys from the majors, commuters and cargo..
we've seen these "fantastic" ideas bite us in the butt..

but all the research seems to be on the up and up... the same guy who did the NASA research in the 90s....

and theoretically the 8+ hour trips are going to be very tightly built and watched....

FWIW...

Last edited:
Dizel8 said:
I heard it was Hawaiian or Aloha looking for this, but I stand corrected, thank you. I guess the body gets less tired if it is Int'l:), however, are we talking two or three pilot crews?

You are correct, doesn't make it less tiring, just allowed by the regs. On a 3 man crew airplane it's one crew and on a 2 man crew an additional crewmember is required. (approx 10hrs round trip)

Amazingly enough, under Intl rules, Flt Attendants have more restrictive rules than us. FA's have duty time requirements and we have flt time requirements in 24, 48 & 72 hrs respectively. Fortunately for us our contract is more restrictive than the FARs :)

Hawaii turns

Dizel8 said:
Yaks,

Why is it a dumb idea? Is it better to mess up your body clock. Is it worse than commuting in one the same day and then doing a redeye transcon or "pond" jump. Both of which is done frquently by crewmembers.

Flying Farmer,

No, jetBlue does not exist in a vacuum and btw, we are not the only carrier petition the FAA for this, apparently one of the majors have been interested for years. They wish to do Hawaii out and backs. Not sure where you get ten days off a month from, but the jetBlue pilots have at least 14, with the average days of around 16 and senior pilots just shy of 18, this while flying 75-80 hrs a month. Productivity is rather high and the pilot group has endorsed this. Most people here prefer to be home with their families, as I am sure you do.

PLS,

As someone said, the exemption would apply to jetBlue and would be restricted to daylight transcons, with limits on legs and landings, ie 2 legs, 2 landings. I think that is better than flying out in the morning, "resting 12 hours, then flying a redeye back.
Certainly is a lot better than "standups", you know where you fly three hours, go to the hotel for 6 and then fly three hours back. Quite legal, but very hard on the body.

The studies done by NASA supports that from a scientific stand point, just like NASA endorses powernaps as does quite a few foreign carriers.

I would gladly see the FAA raise the 30 in 7, to perhaps 35 in seven. The 30 in 7 rule made sense when prop planes was involved, but with the advent of quiter, more ergonomic cockpits, I believe it would be as safe. Would rather see a reduction in duty limits from 16 to 14 and believe that would enhance safety more.

Not sure where you have been all this time but airlines have been doing HNL turns for years now. And yes it will give you lines of time with only 10 working days. Typically go very senior.

A little piece of history here. Back in the good old days when the DC7 was first introduced at AA, it took 10 hours non-stop to fly from LAX to JFK (IDL). AA had the aircraft first and wanted relief from the 8 hour rules in place at that time. UAL was at a serious competitive disadvantage and balked at any such relief for AA. Finally after a cat fight between AA, ALPA and UAL there was relief granted. The bitterness behind this event was one of, if not the most significant cause of AA pulling out of ALPA.

Latest resources

Back