A Pinnacle captain with some balls

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hoover, Hoover, Hoover

I believe you need to realize what the meaning of union labor is and why most airline pilots where forced into organization.

Labor is not paid to think. That has been made very clear by the airline managements over the last 30 years. Thinking is for the smart Ivy League types that do such a good job of making the tough decisions that lead their airline to successful returns.

hoover said:
A professional does what is necessary to get the job done, consistent with safety and legality. A spoiled brat sits and and pouts "Not my job" when things don't go his/her way.

We would all do well to remember that there will come a day for each of us when, in order to get something we want or need, we will have to rely on the kindness, generosity, and the "can do" attitude of another person.

If there is justice in the world, one day that Captain is going to need something from one of those 50 passengers that were on his plane.

Sometimes you have to draw the line that you won't cross, as a professional.

Trap is right on the money (or minutes). No one should Have to use their cell for company usage, unless it is provided by the company or comp'ed by the company!!!

I use mine all of the time for company business because I did not prostitute myself out to a company that doesn't take care of me.

iflyabeech said:
I use mine all of the time for company business because I did not prostitute myself out to a company that doesn't take care of me.

Your pimp...er, I mean boss must be pleased. ;)

I don't know if anyone here has thought about this but the use of the cell phone is a non issue. The incident in question happened after 2100 Central time. Most PCL crew members make there homes in the Central or Eastern time zones. With this in mind, the cell phone call would have been free. As for calling from the flight deck, crew members have called SOC from the aircraft so thats not really an issue either.

i was also one of the dispatchers on duty that night. the captain sat at DCA for so long because he can't add. the numbers that the DCA station gave CLC were right. the captain wasn't counting 1 of the pax, a child, as a half weight. the batphone doesn't work at DCA but AIRINC does. the captain had the means to contact dispatch at company expense. he was just to hard headed to use it. the captain is the reason that the pax sat on that plane for so long. dispatch and CLC were all over that flight. the captain may have big balls, but he also has a small brain.

There are a number of factors here; all have been discussed.

1. Understaffing
2. Re-imbursement of cell charges
3. The CA's view of management.
4. 9E's contract status.
5. The list goes on...

Now, ask yourself how you would feel if you were a DCA passenger with tickets for your honeymoon cruise down in FLA. Or, perhaps you're just trying to spend one more hour with your critically-ill mother in Kalamazoo or... This thread is bad. I can't believe there are people that even think of applauding, "Kudos! Block or better, right?" It comes down to making an ethical decision, something that many people today can't seem to accomplish. I agree that 9E needs some real help in their infrastructure. I agree that cell phone charges should get re-imbursed. I agree that regional pilots don't make what they should on their W2s. I don't agree with inconveniencing 50 pax in the back. All that CA accomplished was giving our companies and our profession more of a bad rap. For God sakes, suck it up, make the call and grow up. If that $1.00 you spend on airtime charges literally takes food out of your baby's mouth... Well, then perhaps you do need to look into a more financially feesible profession. Or, maybe get rid of the digital cable. It's all about doing what is ethically sound. Does 9E management? Nope. But, that does not let YOU off the hook.

MM

Mesabi Miner said:
There are a number of factors here; all have been discussed.

1. Understaffing
2. Re-imbursement of cell charges
3. The CA's view of management.
4. 9E's contract status.
5. The list goes on...

Now, ask yourself how you would feel if you were a DCA passenger with tickets for your honeymoon cruise down in FLA. Or, perhaps you're just trying to spend one more hour with your critically-ill mother in Kalamazoo or... This thread is bad. I can't believe there are people that even think of applauding, "Kudos! Block or better, right?" It comes down to making an ethical decision, something that many people today can't seem to accomplish. I agree that 9E needs some real help in their infrastructure. I agree that cell phone charges should get re-imbursed. I agree that regional pilots don't make what they should on their W2s. I don't agree with inconveniencing 50 pax in the back. All that CA accomplished was giving our companies and our profession more of a bad rap. For God sakes, suck it up, make the call and grow up. If that $1.00 you spend on airtime charges literally takes food out of your baby's mouth... Well, then perhaps you do need to look into a more financially feesible profession. Or, maybe get rid of the digital cable. It's all about doing what is ethically sound. Does 9E management? Nope. But, that does not let YOU off the hook.

MM

Amen, brother!

PCL_128 said:
No, I want the company to fix the root cause of the problem. The problem here is that the company is not answering messages that are being sent by approved means. The dispatchers are so overworked and understaffed that they can't handle all the flights that are thrown at them each hour. Our computer systems used in SOC are so old that they sometimes crash several times an hour. The cell phone minutes isn't the issue, the issue is an entire support structure that is practically nonexistent. The only way to fix that is by taking delays because of it. Without that, management will just turn their back on the problem and gladly accept the "help" from the pilot force. The pilots have to do more than our fair share at this company to keep things running smoothly. It's time for managment to shift the burdens where they actually belong.

Hey man start an airline and become management. You always seem to have the answer. Let us know where you do it because I am sure everyone on this board would want to work there. For as long as it lasts.

Latest resources

Back