• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

A breach of ethics at PinnaColaba?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
We also lost the flow for most on our list. We would have had more than a good shot at getting those 10 700's from ASA, not to mention all 3 of the 200's that Pinnacle lost (which could have been more if Delta have pity because of this merger debacle). Sure, it's all speculation, but so is you saying "so and so" would be right seat when all the Saabs were gone. Flyer, everyone lost here except the most senior and most of Colgan. Please deal with it or go to a company where you think you will upgrade quicker.

We also lost the flow for most on our list. We would have had more than a good shot at getting those 10 700's from ASA, not to mention all 3 of the 200's that Pinnacle lost (which could have been more if Delta have pity because of this merger debacle). Sure, it's all speculation, but so is you saying "so and so" would be right seat when all the Saabs were gone. Flyer, everyone lost here except the most senior and most of Colgan. Please deal with it or go to a company where you think you will upgrade quicker.

FWIW I believe we are getting the 3 back in DEC by the planning prelims.

Colgan has recieved jet CA both 900 and 200. ATL, DTW, JFK

FWIW I believe we are getting the 3 back in DEC by the planning prelims.

Well, you will get one back by default because it already went to us. My point is, if this merger never happened, things may have been looked at different. Instead of 2 going to ASA, which sounds like they are in the same boat as us staffing wise, they may have gone to Mesaba and you may not have gotten any of them back. Again, speculation, but so are a lot of things we are talking about.

Not quite... I would have been temporarily downgraded but certainly NOT pushed out of base, in fact I would have remained very senior as FO on the 900 IN my base, and once the flows went I would have returned to my position and likely moved up slightly... Now thanks to the Colgan windfall, I'm looking at a displacement out of base to hold captain temporarily til that base closes then back to FO I go with HUNDREDS of others now ahead of me for (re) upgrade.

Look dicknob, you aren't the only one getting the "jobbing" without the G.D. courtesy of a reach around here. Yes our "lifers" came out like roses, Damn near every Colgan pilot won as well, that left the rest of us to send out a shotgun of resumes.... Not the first time I have had to do so, probably won't be the last. If you want some help putting yours together, and can do so in civility while buying the first round, I'll be happy to help. I'll buy the rest in fact (til I lose my pay).
At least you admit to some reality. You would have been downgraded and been a FO in your base (not displaced from base, because as FO, you'd be senior enough).

bri said:
We also lost the flow for most on our list. We would have had more than a good shot at getting those 10 700's from ASA, not to mention all 3 of the 200's that Pinnacle lost (which could have been more if Delta have pity because of this merger debacle). Sure, it's all speculation, but so is you saying "so and so" would be right seat when all the Saabs were gone.
No, there are different types of speculation. The speculation I was doing was figuring out how many of your pilots would be furloughed and downgraded when the Saabs were all parked by the end of the year. This isn't hard, you already have staffing ratios published, and a list of all current Saab pilots. It doesn't take a genius to figure out the rest. Pretty straightforward, hardly what I'd call a speculation. But forecasting future potential business, like 10 CRJs from ASA or others, is all 100% pure speculation with absolutely no grounds for proving it.

Well, you will get one back by default because it already went to us. My point is, if this merger never happened, things may have been looked at different. Instead of 2 going to ASA, which sounds like they are in the same boat as us staffing wise, they may have gone to Mesaba and you may not have gotten any of them back. Again, speculation, but so are a lot of things we are talking about.
Given this SLI and its C&R, all Pinnalce pilots, and I do mean all Pinnacle pilots, would have done better as a stand-alone group. Merging with a shrinking airline and biased quotas have hosed this pilot group. Alas, it cannot be changed (which is BS), but we can request clarification from Bloch on certain things. I love how all you Mesaba folks talk smack on our group (esp our merger committee) that we screwed ourselves by talking down on Saabs, and how we refused to acknowledge Saabs. That's not true. Our group only stated that the Saabs at Mesaba were being reduced to zero, and that we needed to account for that in the SLI process. No comment was made on Colgan's Saabs. I can understand if Bloch wants to keep 9E off the Mesaba Saabs, but there is no reason why 9E can't bid to Colgan Saabs. Why not? Colgan can bid our jets as long as our quotas are met, why shouldn't we be able to bid their Saabs once their quotas are met? He should be clarifying up this point. And I do like how most of you XJ people here scream to "live with it" and "move on" when it doesn't effect you. The double-screwing of displacing our Captains in the 1700s while Colgan awards Captains 600+ numbers junior to that is hardly a "fair and equitable" integration. No one got hosed more on the last vacancy than the Pinnacle pilot group.

Here's one XJ guy that will admit it's a crime for any Pinnacle pilot to be displaced because of Mesaba losing airplanes. And I am glad for the part where I have a job because understaffed 9E upsorbed overstaffed XJ. But why do so many XJers wish this had never happened?

First, the "108 flow through pilots" was actually an unlimited number until XJ was purchased so XJ career expectations pre merger were not only the eventual return of all furloughs, but a job at mainline as well. Also, its no gurantee that XJ would not have recieved more planes just as its not certain 9E would have kept it's 200s if it had continued to cancel flights for crews.

Second, XJ was indeed a good place to work. Most pilots liked it here, even the ones who went throught the pretend bankruptcy enjoyed their work for the most part. My impression of 9E over the last 7 years has been that they dislike their jobs, their company, and their "NMFC". Everyone has people that hate their lot in life, but 9E has one of the least happy pilot groups I have ever seen.

Third, XJ used to have a horrible training center where examiners were inconsistent and instructors would yell and bully and kick the back of your seat. But then an immense effort was undertaken to completely eliminate that culture and today the XJ training environment is outstanding. There's a general fear at XJ (hopefully unfounded) that as 9E pilots we will go back to the way it was.

Bloch did indeed screw Pinnacle on the fences, even if he meant the 9E interpretation, it was strange how he put 9E over their numbers and XJ below its. I don't know why Bloch did the list as he did but it's almost as if emotion was involved and he was pissed at 9E where it came to fences. He did at least give 9E a boost in relative seniority, though.

Last edited:
No, there are different types of speculation. The speculation I was doing was figuring out how many of your pilots would be furloughed and downgraded when the Saabs were all parked by the end of the year. This isn't hard, you already have staffing ratios published, and a list of all current Saab pilots. It doesn't take a genius to figure out the rest. Pretty straightforward, hardly what I'd call a speculation. But forecasting future potential business, like 10 CRJs from ASA or others, is all 100% pure speculation with absolutely no grounds for proving it.

Right, and I am saying nobody's speculation can be 100% correct. You speculated we wouldn't get any aircraft to keep all the Saab captains from going back to the right seat. I am speculating (now that we have seen planes move and have rumors we were offered the aircraft) that we could have gotten aircraft to offset the downgrades.

Again, we all lost in this merger. Mesaba lost the flow, most of us lost relative and DOH in SLI, probably a general downgrade in company culture, and we lost the opportunity to get more aircraft that mainline actually wants. We gained some cushion for our downgrades. You lost the "quick upgrade" but gained a very substantial pay rate raise, more aircraft that mainline wants, generally improved work rules, and hopefully a corporate culture that is better post-merger. Please try to accept the fact that we all lost something here and move on.

As I said before, if you think you can get a quicker upgrade somewhere else, please let your feet do the talking. Just the fact you are still here means you think you will upgrade here quicker than at any other regional that is hiring right now.

To say what would have happened (positive or negative) is pointless because we don't know what would have happened. This industry is what it is, for better or for worse, until death do us part. There is always a 20/20 to a situation, problem is that each situation will bring different things into focus.

Here's one XJ guy that will admit it's a crime for any Pinnacle pilot to be displaced because of Mesaba losing airplanes. And I am glad for the part where I have a job because understaffed 9E upsorbed overstaffed XJ. But why do so many XJers wish this had never happened?

First, the "108 flow through pilots" was actually an unlimited number until XJ was purchased so XJ career expectations pre merger were not only the eventual return of all furloughs, but a job at mainline as well. Also, its no gurantee that XJ would not have recieved more planes just as its not certain 9E would have kept it's 200s if it had continued to cancel flights for crews.

Second, XJ was indeed a good place to work. Most pilots liked it here, even the ones who went throught the pretend bankruptcy enjoyed their work for the most part. My impression of 9E over the last 7 years has been that they dislike their jobs, their company, and their "NMFC". Everyone has people that hate their lot in life, but 9E has one of the least happy pilot groups I have ever seen.

Third, XJ used to have a horrible training center where examiners were inconsistent and instructors would yell and bully and kick the back of your seat. But then an immense effort was undertaken to completely eliminate that culture and today the XJ training environment is outstanding. There's a general fear at XJ (hopefully unfounded) that as 9E pilots we will go back to the way it was.

Bloch did indeed screw Pinnacle on the fences, even if he meant the 9E interpretation, it was strange how he put 9E over their numbers and XJ below its. I don't know why Bloch did the list as he did but it's almost as if emotion was involved and he was pissed at 9E where it came to fences. He did at least give 9E a boost in relative seniority, though.

This is the first great post I've seen from a XJ guy in this thread. Thank you for this. Very well written!

bri, just wait until Age 70 passes. It's already under discussion right now. RJ F/O wages were not ever meant to be lived on for the better part of a decade, but that may quickly become reality for many.

Latest resources

Back