• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

A breach of ethics at PinnaColaba?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
And guess what, every one of the Saab captains were hired BEFORE 3/07. Most many YEARS before then. Do you think you are the only ones losing your seat? I'm being forced out of mine as well. Many of us are, welcome to the club.

Not true dude, are you crazy? One of my great friends, actually a CFI who taught me much for my instrument rating, is a LGA SF3 Captain at Mesaba. A majority of your LGA SF3 Captains were hired April-July 2007.

As for your second question. Here is the language from the award:​

6. For a period of five years beginning with submission of the
integrated seniority list, no pre-merger Pinnacle or Mesaba
pilots may be awarded or displaced to a Q-400 captain
unless Colgan pilots maintain 193 Q-400 captain positions.

7. For a period of five years beginning with the submission of
the Integrated Seniority List, no Pinnacle pilot may be
awarded or displaced to a Saab-340 captain position, and no
pre-merger Colgan pilot may be awarded or displaced to a
Saab-340 captain position unless Mesaba pilots maintain 129 Saab-340 captains.

Do you see the difference in the wording between these two fences? If Pinnacle were allowed to bid to the Saab, it would have been worded like number 6, but it is not. Pinnacle has it's own fragment of a sentence. If Bloch intended for what you are saying he did, it would read:

7. For a period of five years beginning with submission of the
pilots may be awarded or displaced to a SF-340 captain
unless Colgan pilots maintain 193 SF-240 captain positions.

Note, the number 7 directly above is NOT language in the award. I DO think he could have worded it better, I'll give you that.

You're splitting hairs here. The above shouldn't keep ALL Pinnacle Captains off the Saabs, I just think the wording should have been more clear as to his intent. No matter, the 9E side of things will be getting a clarification from Bloch very soon, and then we will see what he truly meant.

Not true dude, are you crazy? One of my great friends, actually a CFI who taught me much for my instrument rating, is a LGA SF3 Captain at Mesaba. A majority of your LGA SF3 Captains were hired April-July 2007.

You're splitting hairs here. The above shouldn't keep ALL Pinnacle Captains off the Saabs, I just think the wording should have been more clear as to his intent. No matter, the 9E side of things will be getting a clarification from Bloch very soon, and then we will see what he truly meant.​

You are right. I am splitting hairs. And that's what lawyers do. Split hairs to figure out intent. You are right again. He should have worded it better, especially considering how long it took him to write it.

You are right. I am splitting hairs. And that's what lawyers do. Split hairs to figure out intent. You are right again. He should have worded it better, especially considering how long it took him to write it.

Lawyers are scum, profitting directly at the expense of someone else's downfall.

You're splitting hairs here. The above shouldn't keep ALL Pinnacle Captains off the Saabs, I just think the wording should have been more clear as to his intent. No matter, the 9E side of things will be getting a clarification from Bloch very soon, and then we will see what he truly meant.​

Sorry, you are correct, LGA is kinda the forgotten land. I hadn't really looked at what was/is happening out there. However in the land of traditional Mesaba bases, I am correct, other than the bottom 2 MSP captains listed as April 07 hires (both actually were hired years before that as ground instructors but couldn't be put on the list because of the bankruptcy/furloughs) the most junior SF3 captain is from the summer of 05. Even in LGA it only goes to mid 07. Captain seats at Mesaba other than a brief period in 07 have not come quickly over the past 10+ years.

Captain seats at Mesaba other than a brief period in 07 have not come quickly over the past 10+ years.

I distinctly remember Mesaba hiring entry level (street) Captains on the Saab just a few years ago. And now the upgrades will come quick for Mesaba pilots, thanks to Bloch.

I distinctly remember Mesaba hiring entry level (street) Captains on the Saab just a few years ago. And now the upgrades will come quick for Mesaba pilots, thanks to Bloch.

And those street captains downgraded quite a while ago.

Yes that street captain time was briefly a few classes in 07 because many fo's didn't want to upgrade for whatever their personal reasons were and we don't have an up or out policy.
And I don't know what FO's you think are upgrading so quickly here. There are (and will be more) plenty of downgraded captains that will have a chance first.

As for your second question. Here is the language from the award:​

6. For a period of five years beginning with submission of the
pilots may be awarded or displaced to a Q-400 captain
unless Colgan pilots maintain 193 Q-400 captain positions.

7. For a period of five years beginning with the submission of
the Integrated Seniority List, no Pinnacle pilot may be
awarded or displaced to a Saab-340 captain position, and no
pre-merger Colgan pilot may be awarded or displaced to a
Saab-340 captain position unless Mesaba pilots maintain 129 Saab-340 captains.

Do you see the difference in the wording between these two fences? If Pinnacle were allowed to bid to the Saab, it would have been worded like number 6, but it is not. Pinnacle has it's own fragment of a sentence. If Bloch intended for what you are saying he did, it would read:

Truth is that it could be read either way. He doesn't have to write it like he does in other parts of the award for it carry the same meaning. There would have to be a reason why Bloch would bar PCL pilots from the saab and clearly there isn't one.

I've heard this issue will be the first to be going back to Bloch to decide what it means so get ready for more heartache over the "Metzger Quotas". That little parting gift from a soon to be flow up will haunt us here at 9E/9L for the next five years.

Latest resources

Back