A breach of ethics at PinnaColaba?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Flyer1015

1. Who appointed FS, a Mesaba employee, to handle vacancy awards? Why him? Why not a Colgan guy? Or why not a Pinnacle guy?

2. Did the Mesaba merger committee OR the Mesaba MEC provided any input to Frank in terms of their interpretation of the ISL conditions/restrictions for this vacancy award? IF this can be proven, it constitutes a breach of ethics, or at the very least, a breach of common sense integrity. Our 3 airlines should have consulted with Bloch first, clarified the conditions/restrictions, and then carried forward. This award not only displaced our Captains back to FOs, but also prevented any 9E Captains from being awarded a Saab position. I cannot see this exact wording on the C&R, which only leads me to think that the Mesaba committee has provided their own interpretation to Frank and that is what has happened.

Is the above true? If it is, then that is very, very disturbing!

1. Who appointed FS, a Mesaba employee, to handle vacancy awards? Why him? Why not a Colgan guy? Or why not a Pinnacle guy?

2. Did the Mesaba merger committee OR the Mesaba MEC provided any input to Frank in terms of their interpretation of the ISL conditions/restrictions for this vacancy award? IF this can be proven, it constitutes a breach of ethics, or at the very least, a breach of common sense integrity. Our 3 airlines should have consulted with Bloch first, clarified the conditions/restrictions, and then carried forward. This award not only displaced our Captains back to FOs, but also prevented any 9E Captains from being awarded a Saab position. I cannot see this exact wording on the C&R, which only leads me to think that the Mesaba committee has provided their own interpretation to Frank and that is what has happened.

Is the above true? If it is, then that is very, very disturbing!

There are words for you....bitter dweeb-idiot-lack of any knowledge on who you are talking about.....

Why dont you just leave and start over somewhere else. I am willing to bet there are plenty of Mesaba pilots who were screwed a lot worse than you were. Oh and by the way, Frank would not play favorites-nor would anyone else in Planning-their jobs would be at stake if they "played favorites" as they answer to MEM corporate-that should be enough to know that what you say is not true. If you doubt Frank-guess what? Call him and tell him who you are and get to know him. If there is a mistake, he will appologize and fix the mistake. I know guys who have done that.

Stop being an idiot and stop blaming those in planning who are dealing with this crap sandwich that our union and Bloch gave them. I am sure they love dealing with the fences.

Oh by the way......Mesaba is at our cap for jet numbers-so all the spots created for the guys leaving the saab will be VACANCIES filled by those senior Q pilots....and their slots will be filled by colgan pilots.....

Colgan Saabs are fenced, so you won't be going there as a captain.

That's not what I interpret when I read the C&R.

xjhawk said:
I am willing to bet there are plenty of Mesaba pilots who were screwed a lot worse than you were.
Name one. All Mesaba Saab Captains are senior to a Pinnacle pilot hired in March 2007, and they are JFK CA. Worse case scenario for Mesaba Captains is to bid JFK CA, using their displacement rights, and forcing our JFK CAs back to the right seat. As has already happened...

so what are you complaining about, again?

To answer your first question, it sure as heck aren't the Mesaba pilots and/or union that pick who does the vacancy awards. If it were the Pinnacle guy, then the question would be why not the Mesaba or Colgan guy? I am guessing he is doing them because someone higher than him thought he was the best out of the 3 to get things done. That's how businesses work you know. They are not a democracy, although politics can play a part of it.

Frank has already been given the Corporate title of "Manager of Crew Resources" but doesn't officially start that position until the certificates start moving. Until then he still works at XJ. He did this realignment wearing his "Corp" hat. The only input from 9E planning and CJC planning is how many pilots they need, and where. What has happened since is strictly an issue of the Bloch interpretation, the JCBA, and each pilot's system bid preference.

As for your second question. Here is the language from the award:​

6. For a period of five years beginning with submission of the
integrated seniority list, no pre-merger Pinnacle or Mesaba
pilots may be awarded or displaced to a Q-400 captain
unless Colgan pilots maintain 193 Q-400 captain positions.

7. For a period of five years beginning with the submission of
the Integrated Seniority List, no Pinnacle pilot may be
awarded or displaced to a Saab-340 captain position, and no
pre-merger Colgan pilot may be awarded or displaced to a
Saab-340 captain position unless Mesaba pilots maintain 129 Saab-340 captains.

Do you see the difference in the wording between these two fences? If Pinnacle were allowed to bid to the Saab, it would have been worded like number 6, but it is not. Pinnacle has it's own fragment of a sentence. If Bloch intended for what you are saying he did, it would read:

7. For a period of five years beginning with submission of the
integrated seniority list, no pre-merger Pinnacle or Mesaba
pilots may be awarded or displaced to a SF-340 captain
unless Colgan pilots maintain 193 SF-240 captain positions.

Note, the number 7 directly above is NOT language in the award. I DO think he could have worded it better, I'll give you that.

That's not what I interpret when I read the C&R.

Name one. All Mesaba Saab Captains are senior to a Pinnacle pilot hired in March 2007, and they are JFK CA. Worse case scenario for Mesaba Captains is to bid JFK CA, using their displacement rights, and forcing our JFK CAs back to the right seat. As has already happened...

so what are you complaining about, again?

And guess what, every one of the Saab captains were hired BEFORE 3/07. Most many YEARS before then. Do you think you are the only ones losing your seat? I'm being forced out of mine as well. Many of us are, welcome to the club.

Latest resources

Back