80-100hrs of IOE at mesa??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yes.

Stand ups 14 hr duty day. 4 legs typical. Any sit less than 4 hours, the company gets 1 hotel room for the 3-4 crewmembers to share.

Most crews just say f-it and sleep on the plane; they get an extra 30-45 minutes of sleep that way, and who wants to go to a hotel room with one bed and one chair with 3 other strangers anyway?

This terrible scheduling policy more than anything else is what got me to leave Mesa, even with a huge paycut and uncertain future at another airline.

Somewhere along the line I realized that in the past 1 1/2 years I had spent roughly half of my sleep time sleeping in the back of a CRJ; it was killing me, making me hate my job, courting disaster as both pilots were routinely fatigued and flying anyway, and causing more sick calls in the past 1 1/2 years than my previous 6 years combined . . . when I said "ENOUGH".

You said ENOUGH? So when did you resign? Or did you stay and just refuse to fly any more standups?

I heard a great story from a friend who was working as a CFI. Mesa called up the flight school offering a job to anyone with 500/100 on the spot. She said thanks but no thanks and hung up. Nice hiring standards now JO

They are directly related..... Higher entry requirements would result in higher entry payscales....

Based on the requirements, the pay isn't really that bad.....

JM,
Just to clarify, did you really mean to say that Regional Airline entry pay isn't that bad?

Somehow I see this turning into a PFT arguement....

JM,
Just to clarify, did you really mean to say that Regional Airline entry pay isn't that bad?

Like many job's, "pay commiserate with experience". When the requirements are a high school diploma and 250 hours of self-financed training, until you get real experience, the pay is going to be bad.

On the other hand I know a guy with 2800 hrs whore himself out to Mesa for the quick PIC. We pilots are partly responsible for the pay problem.

JM,

Based on the entry level standards, no it isn't. It isn't hard becoming a 121 regional FO, and thus the pay is low.

The pay and the requirements should be higher.... If the requirements were higher, the pay would rise......

Glorified bus drivers!!!!, you want a professional's pay, be one by training and acting like one, how can you compare yourself to a doctor, accountant etc when a high school graduate can do your job. Do not flatter yourself, if you do not like your job, QOL, etc, stop whining and quit your job, I dare you, "BLUE FALCON". Safety is serious business in this industry you think because you completed IOE in 25hrs, everyone that does not is a failure, have you taken a look at your fingers lately, they are not of the same length, (lightbulb) so are human capabilities some need more help than others. Instead of you being so high and mighty about yourself , why don't you help your fellow pilots out so that by the time he/she gets on the line he/she is not falling behind.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back