• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

737 Crash Near Athens

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ask the people in the chasm what they think about automation in the cockpit.

FN FAL said:
Ask the people in the chasm what they think about automation in the cockpit.

Can you expand on this staement? Not sure what automation has to do with this accident at this point at least.

Spooky 1 said:
Can you expand on this staement? Not sure what automation has to do with this accident at this point at least.
After 9/11, there was a great article on "secure digital data uplink". It would allow ground controllers the ability to take control over a stricken airliner from a secure location on the ground. Who would be the controllers? I don't know, but the techology exists to implement secure digital data uplink, it would have saved thousands of lives on 9/11, it would have saved lives here as well.

In that case i guess we as pilots should just stay home and let the computer do its job. Kinda like those automated subway trains.

:rolleyes:

mattpilot said:
In that case i guess we as pilots should just stay home and let the computer do its job. Kinda like those automated subway trains.

:rolleyes:
Secure digital data uplink doesn't replace pilots or jobs...

FN FAL said:
After 9/11, there was a great article on "secure digital data uplink". It would allow ground controllers the ability to take control over a stricken airliner from a secure location on the ground. Who would be the controllers? I don't know, but the techology exists to implement secure digital data uplink, it would have saved thousands of lives on 9/11, it would have saved lives here as well.

Okay I see where you are coming from. I supposed the technology is possibel and might in fact be there, but I am not sure this would have changed the outcome of 911 as I believe the hijackers were in control of the aircraft right up to impact. In the case of the UAL in PA, I still don't think the outcome would have been any different.

As for this B737 accident, one can only speculate as to the cause and other factors that were to blame. Subtle decompressions are extremely rare and even in the oldest versions of the B737 there are plenty of warning systems to make the crew aware of the situation. On the other hand if one were to ignore all of these signals, then that is beyond comprehension and one could only speculate as to the reasons.

FN FAL said:

So could you MEL the pilots if they were sick or on strike?

Would this let me work from home? I already have a joystick for my computer!

Re: saving lives on 9/11. You could also argue that instead of crashing four aircraft, this would let terrorists hack the system and crash hundreds instead. There's no such thing as a secure data link, and anything that removes pilots from the top of the chain of authority in the cockpit is a bad idea.

Something strange about this accident is the fact that the tail section survived intact.

That implies something less than a high-speed, high-angle impact after the aircraft either ran out of fuel or went out of control with no one flying. It suggests a slower speed at the time of impact, in more level flight.
If that's the case, why didn't the aircraft spend enough time below 15,000' or so for the pilots to regain consciousness and regain control?

Something's strange here....

Latest resources

Back