737 Crash Near Athens

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
KigAir said:
Are the cockpit and passenger O2 masks fed from the same source on the 737?

Nope. The pax have the chemical candles installed overhead each row of seats that release oxygen after the mask is pulled to start the chemical reaction. The pilots have a standard tank. As for the VNAV question, you first have to set in a new altitude in the MCP for VNAV to take you down. Could a passenger have seen the 35000 set in and dialed it down? Maybe. That would then take the airplane down at TOD. As for the fuel, most likely they had all six pumps on and the airplane would burn completely dry.

Looked like a short flight...wouldn't the center tank be empty and the center pumps turned off anyway?

Pugh said:
Looked like a short flight...wouldn't the center tank be empty and the center pumps turned off anyway?

Could be, I'm not sure how long a flight it was. Whether or not there was center tank fuel, the airplane would most likely burn dry if the pilots were incapacitated at any given moment. Unless, they took off with less than 5000 lbs in the center tank and the pumps didn't have the mod, then they would have center tank fuel but the pumps would be off until 10000 feet. It sounds like these guys got to 35000, though, so that isn't likely. I would say the odds were excellent it was configured to burn dry.

Automation-yes. Lowest safe altitude GASP, Level Change select WHEWGASP, Speed Br.......EX........Wait I forgot something..........Blackness.(Four minutes later at 10,000 feet)

Sir, Sir all you alright this is your number 6 FA, here put this O2 mask on ...........

Last edited:
737NG-Remembet the MCP(Master Control Panel) overrides anything and everything set in the FMC/VNAV. The only way the FMC would be in control is if the DH is set in the MCP window, then the VNAV would fly the airplane to the runway as long as everything had been properly programmed.

ackattacker said:
Actually, I think this is the scenario that makes the most sense. (not freon of course, but air contamination). It is certainly possible to get contaminated bleed air.

I am going to have to disagree with you on this on ACK. With bleed air problems there is usually smoke and odor. If that were the case I would hope the crew went to 100% O2.

ackattacker said:
Passengers were saying it was "freezing". Which implies that the automatic temperature control was having problems, or perhaps that both packs were inop(?)

I really doubt this would be the problem. You cannot fly the B-737 above FL 250 with one pack inop. If the auto controller was having problems it would be very easy to go to manual control. However I really dont think that this is the problem.

ackattacker said:
Maybe suspected air conditioning smoke in the cockpit followed by deactivating the packs. This depressurizes the plane slowly, everybody goes on oxygen, and it gets cold as hell. The captain decides to go take a walk around, and collapses in the cabin, and the copilot passes out from the burning circuit boards or whatever he inhaled... The airplanes flies in level flight into rising mountainous terrain and that's why the tail survives. The cockpit door prevents any hero passengers from saving the day, even if they realized to copilot was passed out.

I doubt it. If you shut off both packs you are going to go down as low as you can. If the altitude is above the norm the Captain should not be walking around the "check things out". That is what the FA is for. If the Pilots are on 100% O2 then it should not matter if there are burning things around them. They should be able to breathe and take care of the task at hand.

Whatever happened it is a very bizarre accident. I am anxious to hear what happened on the tapes.

Latest resources

Back