• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

65 a cutoff?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
av8, that's a good and funny post. Bent, I do respect your post on this one. I think they should go at 65. If you have the 3 ex wives and 700K mortgage at that age, that's your own fault. I don't feel sorry for an idiot thats living above his means. Proper planning is key, and if they can't manage their own lives, then how in the world can they handle a 20 million jet with souls on board when the ******************** hits the fan?

It would be one thing if they actually need the money.... if they lost their pensions/retirements or anything like that, then I would understand...

But if you're 68+, you're financially secured and still hanging around because you're "having too much fun" or "you need beer money" then _____________.

there is always part 91 flying...

How generous, thanks!

"You old guys have to leave your seniority and pay level at 65 because you are incompetent and a young guy needs your seat"!

Oh, but you can fly part 91 single pilot. Gee thanks!

So, what happens when you brainiacs hit 65? I guess then it will be I need to get out of part 91 flying because you are getting booted out at 65?

(A rule you made don't forget)

I can't believe you "Young Turks" are dumb enough to try to make a rule that definitely will screw some of you later??

Oh, wait! Yes I can! (As I walk away shaking my head "you stupid mother #%^$#% go ahead! Have at it!)

But I am young enough to argue with you, my older buddies are shaking their heads saying "Semore you stupid mother #%^$#, why do you waste your time arguing with those morons?"

And they are of course correct.

This is all about get out of my seat

HELL YEAH I think 65 should be a cut off age like the majors.

As for "passing the medical". these guys would never pass a medical exam in Europe, Asia or even most of Latin America...

"never pass a medical exam in Europe, Asia or even most of Latin America" As would would many of the pilots under age 65

This is all about get out of my seat, but can not say that, it is too greedy, So now the Frac's now want to protest for age 65 retirement in the name of safety, because who can be against safety? It is like motherhood and patriotism.

Age is not the sole determinate of a pilot’s capability. We all know that there are pilots under 65 that are in far worse physical condition those pilots over 65

Setting the age a 65 has not effected airline safety one bid. In fact as per post above the NTSB says the retention of experience in the cockpit plays a major part in the high level of safety. The same would be true in the Frac's

If this is all about the highest possible level of safety, we take the age of pilot that experiences an in-flight incapacitation, say a heart attack at age 47, and that becomes the new retirement age.

This is all about get out of my seat, but can not say that, it is too greedy, So we protest age in the name of safety, because who can be against safety? It is like motherhood and patriotism.

Last edited:
I think the rules across the board should be equal. If we require an actual age limit, it should apply to all commercial flying - 91, 91K, 135 and 121. Because you work in one segment of the industry shouldn't be an advantage or disadvantage toward others.

Unless and until the FAA decides to really require adequate physicals, 65 is at least a limit that folks can understand. Is it perfect? No. But with today's poor medical screening, it's better than nothing.

Grizz,

If they had decent physicals ... half these young guys who couldn't pass the military flight physical wouldn't be here ... I saw about 20% (20-23 year olds) who had been pre-screened more than once before getting to Pensacola ... get the boot at the NAMI physicals we took there.

Well they needed cannon cockers at Fort Sill too...

There would have been a pilot shortage and I would have been making $1 million a year and retired already.

Last edited:
Grizz,

If they had decent physicals ... half these young guys who couldn't pass the military flight physical wouldn't be here ... I saw about 20% (20-23 year olds) who had been pre-screened more than once before getting to Pensacola ... get the boot at the NAMI physicals we took there.

Well they needed cannon cockers at Fort Sill too...

There would have been a pilot shortage and I would have been making $1 million a year and retired already.

Bingo, this man gets it.

I think the rules across the board should be equal. If we require an actual age limit, it should apply to all commercial flying - 91, 91K, 135 and 121. Because you work in one segment of the industry shouldn't be an advantage or disadvantage toward others.

Unless and until the FAA decides to really require adequate physicals, 65 is at least a limit that folks can understand. Is it perfect? No. But with today's poor medical screening, it's better than nothing.
pure get out of my seat

It would be one thing if they actually need the money.... if they lost their pensions/retirements or anything like that, then I would understand...

But if you're 68+, you're financially secured and still hanging around because you're "having too much fun" or "you need beer money" then _____________.
What does your perception of someone else's financial situation have to do with their ability to pilot an airplane?

Who put you in charge of deciding when others should be financially ready or want to retire?

Hi Semore, good to see you are still kicking. Even in this stupid thread. This seems to come up about every 6 months. You would think these guys would have a longer attention span. After all, they are sooo much sharper mentally than we old guys.
Helm

Latest resources

Back