• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

2nd and 3rd year at SWA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just to give this thread a little perspective. Most here understand SWA is a place to be for the LONG TERM. We didn't come here for first (or second) year pay. We came for a career NOT the first three years
. I'm a mid senior Captain, work an extra two or three days a month and am on track to exceed $285k in 2011. I get 5 weeks of vacation that I parlay into a minimum of 14 days off per week awarded. The water is good here!!

What is the projected upgrade time at SWA?

Hard to say right now as future plans are kept under a pretty tight lid. If post acquisition growth plans come to fruition, hopefully less than 10. Comparative captain pay takes about 5 years.

$50.17/trip

All extra fly paid at 2nd year rate of $84.65tfp
(extra fly is what all other pilots pick up at straight pay- for probies that's almost $10 more per trip than premium and it's easier to get bc most of the rest of us hold out for premium- and we can steal any trip assigned to a reserve at straight pay all the way until departure (though most of us ask the reserve what they want if it gets too close to dept and they've already driven in))

Not to split hairs, but you can't "steal" a trip after the reserve checks in unless he/she agrees to it. I had a guy try to do that one time, but I had already checked in... I told scheduling no thanks, I'll fly it (it was sweet, and I commute).

Any other time, I just call scheduling and take it if I want it. I normally do it the night before, so no phone call required to the reserve...

(I am referring to straight pay since I am a little junior for premium).

A 6 year FO is still too junior for Premium pay ? I'm assuming that it's bid for with base seniority. Are magic unicorns involved at any point ?

Can somebody explain, please ?

It all depends on the environment, lots of trips, anybody can get premium, not so many trips as of late do to low line totals/time of year, less chance to get premium.

So, you are paid the same for a 3hr flight as a 1hr flight? $ per trip right?

Yes that is correct.You will have alot of SWA pilots try to say different but you are correct. BWI LAX pays same as LAS LAX. That is why the senior pilots fly 12 legs a day doing LBB turns. the junior pilots fly two legs blocking 8 hrs.

Back to my IPA :)

To fly about 100 trips at straight pay takes about 13 working days a month at straight pay. The above quote was accurate most average about 100-105 a month with only a few being less than 100 or more than 120. Getting to 110-120 is easy if you pick up.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back