• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

2nd and 3rd year at SWA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
When's Alaska alpa going to help that rate out?
(not flame actually)

From what I can see, the SWA bashing is a result of.....

Dan

Certain posters *cough* start giving ppl a rough ride on this forum for even thinking of applying to SWA.

Let's be completely frank: the Southwest bashing on this forum is visceral and personally motivated. i won't attempt to speak to the nature of that motivation, but the emotional foundation is intuitively obvious to the most casual of observers.

The "SWA bashing" (as you put it) is the work of a handful who wrap themselves in the cloak of anonymity while claiming the righteousness of a disinterested third party. It isn't a credible platform and the entertainment value is beyond stale.

Dan

Certain posters *cough* start giving ppl a rough ride on this forum for even thinking of applying to SWA.

Let's be completely frank: the Southwest bashing on this forum is visceral and personally motivated. i won't attempt to speak to the nature of that motivation, but the emotional foundation is intuitively obvious to the most casual of observers.

The "SWA bashing" (as you put it) is the work of a handful who wrap themselves in the cloak of anonymity while claiming the righteousness of a disinterested third party. It isn't a credible platform and the entertainment value is beyond stale.

I agree.

I never understood why anyone bashes ANY airline. We are all of similar personalities, albeit competitive, but that should be a healthy spirit of competition.

All work is noble and there are several good airlines out there. I hope everyone does well and we push this industry to the next level, whether they fly an orange plane domestically or a red tail internationally.

One thing is certain; the success or failure of ANY airline is not directly attributable to the greatness or failure of just one pilot. Furthermore, management is going to manage their airline the way they see fit, regardless of the union and it's desires. Other than being professional and proficient, don't fool yourself into thinking you have any bearing on where your particular airline is headed. Just like everyone else, you are along for the ride.

You guys need to appreciate your brother aviators, wish them well in good times and buy them a beer in the bad.

Cheers!

Last edited:
I'm right there with you on most of what you said-

One thing is certain; the success or failure of ANY airline is not directly attributable to the greatness or failure of just one pilot. Furthermore, management is going to manage their airline the way they see fit, regardless of the union and it's desires. Other than being professional and proficient, don't fool yourself into thinking you have any bearing on where your particular airline is headed. Just like everyone else, you are along for the ride.

^^^^^^^^but this, at swa^^^^^^??

I can't believe the above- outside of being apathetic and homogenous would drive me personally crazy, I was going to quit vs live like that- we are led at swa and asked to be leaders- that as pilots, our apathy towards fellow employees and customers can really hurt the bottom line and culture- And on the flipside, if we do extra for our customers when we can, and are down to earth and enjoyable and show care for the people we work with and the pax who pay us- that can win customers and job security-
There might be anonymity in numbers, but our success is very much dependent on what we ALL do- and there is a customer service and leadership role that pilots can play that shouldn't be minimized. Sure, 1 individual pilot can give the min and get away with it- but all of flight ops is just a bunch of individuals either doing the min or going the extra mile-

But like I said- there isn't a legacy I'd give my leadership skills to all the time.
Most airlines, including my last employer- I wouldn't go the extra mile- it'll just be rewarded with stolen pensions- but if you're treated and led as well as southwest pilots are- you should dedicate yourself a bit more and care a bit more- otherwise you lose credibility.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back