• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

2 -v- 1 (close call with a Viper)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't think I've seen a single advocate of VFR civilian traffic explain why it's a GOOD idea to fly through a MOA, yet. Like highsky, I used to be a CFI in a former life and looking back at it, I was such a fool to transition MOAs.

But I didn't have the luxury of kickin' it with the big wigs at CNATRA, though, so I might've been missing something.

Shack.

EMCON works just as well as STBY BTW... less button pushing.

What I do with the Admirals staff is so far over your insignificant head, that it dwarfs what ever you think you do into oblivion.
Oh, I get it now, your screen name comes from inSIGnificant!

are you for real? ? ? do you really think anyone on here gives a s**t that you hold the Admiral's colostomy bag? that qualifies you for. . . . . . . . d**k.

I have a theory about RA's too. . . . . .dont aimlessly drone through a 3 dimensional furball VFR and you wont needlessly get one. .

are you for real? ? ? do you really think anyone on here gives a s**t that you hold the Admiral's colostomy bag? that qualifies you for. . . . . . . . d**k.

I have a theory about RA's too. . . . . .dont aimlessly drone through a 3 dimensional furball VFR and you wont needlessly get one. .

The only thing that I see in the Old Mans colostomy bag is a bunch of Gyrines! The look and the smell reminds me of Camp Pendleton is in that bag.

The fact of the matter is that the civillians did not violate any regs, thats a fact. Sitck that in your pipe and smoke it!
The fact of the matter is the only conflict was created by Lt Viper Driver, thats a fact.

The fact of the matter is that the civillians did not violate any regs, thats a fact.

What reg did the Viper pilot break? It's already been proven he stayed well clear of the civilian aircraft. True, he could have stayed a little farther away but did he break any reg? I don't wanna hear the Careless and reckless ops either, we all know that is a bull $hit reg the FAA uses as a catch all.

Reprimand......I'd like to see what that was!

I was also a CFI before I joined the AF and I always taught my students to steer clear if the MOA was active. It may be legal but not smart if it's active. I wasn't willing to bet my life that that Viper guy would see me while he is pulling 9G's fighting another jet.

Last edited:
What reg did the Viper pilot break? It's already been proven he stayed well clear of the civilian aircraft. True, he could have stayed a little farther away but did he break any reg?

Reprimand......I'd like to see what that was!

My take on it is this: The area in an MOA is sort of like a public park. Some guys use the park to play their weekly softball games, so they sort of have "squatters rights", even though it's not official. It just happens to be where they play their games, and the park office is nice enough to post this on the bulletin board.

But it's a pretty big park, and kind of pain to walk around if nothing is going on. Further, even if there's a game in progress, chances are if you just walk around the edge, you won't get bonked with a softball.

Now it IS pretty rude just to cut through the park when a game is going on. Common courtesy.

OTOH, if you decide to just walk along the edge or cut the corner of their "outfield", you'd think the guys playing would just say "time out" for the 20 seconds it takes you to cut the corner.

But instead of that, the softball guys have decided that it's better to run up on you with a bat in their hand, get right up in your face, and poke you in the chest with their bat and say "you need to get off our field", when it really isn't their field (if it was, it'd be a restricted area).

Further, NOW they're torqued that you can see them running up on you, and can scoot around a bit to keep them at arms length.

But enough of that metaphor. Unless it's an official intercept for national security reasons, there is ZERO reason for any miltary aircraft to intentionally be within 1 mile or 1000 feet of any civilian aircraft.

Most civ guys are NOT trained in formation flying, and may be startled, causing unnecessary distraction and/or injury to persons if an evasive manuever or RA is followed.

Nu

What reg did the Viper pilot break? It's already been proven he stayed well clear of the civilian aircraft. True, he could have stayed a little farther away but did he break any reg?

Nobody has ever said that Lt Viper Driver broke any regs. Forget about that, get that out of your mind. He used poor judgement, not once, but twice.
It doesn't matter the severity of the reprimand, he was still reprimanded. That in itself assigns guilt.

OTOH, if you decide to just walk along the edge or cut the corner of their "outfield", you'd think the guys playing would just say "time out" for the 20 seconds it takes you to cut the corner.

That is pretty much what they did in this case Nu! It may seem different from your perspective, but in reality the flight of 4 had stopped maneuvering and was holding waiting for the civ aircraft to leave. The flight lead then proceeded to investigate where and at what altitude the "stranger" traffic was to see if there was a way of continuing the training with self-imposed restrictions (i.e. - setting a fight floor or geographic border to deconflict). The fight then continued with those restrictions until the aircraft were clear of the MOA. Maybe he got a little closer than necessary...but was it really that dangerous??? Not unless he didn't know where they were or actually zipped by them at 10' shooting flares or something.

If you're going to fly through an active MOA then you should be grateful they stopped and actually looked for the traffice before continuing. It's the guys who make it into the MOA with nobody knowing you're there...that's when you'll see a two ship flash past your nose before you even believe it. Besides...if the dudes were able to see the F-16 that clearly, then why worry so much about the RA? Wouldn't visual deconfliction be the primary means over some computer system that may lag? Our LINK-16 is great...but I would never trust that data over what I actually see with my own two eyes!

Every MOA I have ever used has some sort of controlling agency you can talk to. If you feel the need to go through a MOA, then by all means at least talk to someone to (a) see if it is hot & (b) inform them of your intentions. Whoever is using the MOA can then at least modify their profile without having to do stuff like this in the first place! That's all we really ask of anybody transitioning a MOA...whether they are Civ or Mil. We military pilots understand that MOAs aren't restricted areas and that civ traffic will be there...we do it eveyday! It is the blatant disregard with the fact they we are operating there also that creates problems. This is shared use airspace we are talking about afterall...so learn how to help us help you!

Last edited:
Nobody has ever said that Lt Viper Driver broke any regs. Forget about that, get that out of your mind. He used poor judgement, not once, but twice.
It doesn't matter the severity of the reprimand, he was still reprimanded. That in itself assigns guilt.

The ignorance in this post and the his post before it pretty much sum up the ignorance in his opinion. 1300 hours and a private pilot do not an educated opinion make. I've lead this horse to water, now I want to drown his dumbas$ in it. I can't take any more... I'm out.

Latest resources

Back