• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

170/175 and CRJ900

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You guys really like flying an 86,000 pound airplane for 25 bucks an hour?

10 years ago the same size airplane was flown for 140 bucks an hour in the right seat. Why don't we start trying to make this a career that people strive to be in again instead of not being able to afford to do anything?

That's some pretty big talk from somebody who flew a 53,000 lb. airplane for $21/hr when they started out. I didn't see you turn down that job either.

I played the game... the 53,000 pound jet I got hired into was a turboprop replacement. As times went on, I found myself flying 3+ hour legs in it. I knew something was wrong and the ball was rolling south faster and faster...then the bankruptcies came. Then the jumbo RJs came.

The regionals were intended to be a small aircraft operation and as a stepping stone to get to the big leagues....with the occassional career stop.

I absolutely agree with who gave up scope, and everytime I saw it erode further, I saw my chances of making it to the big leagues grow slimmer and slimmer.

Now that I'm there, I'm trying to make a difference. How about you?

I played the game... the 53,000 pound jet I got hired into was a turboprop replacement. As times went on, I found myself flying 3+ hour legs in it. I knew something was wrong and the ball was rolling south faster and faster...then the bankruptcies came. Then the jumbo RJs came.
I guess it's all a matter of perspective. Some people flew 6 and 7 leg days in an unpressurized turbo prop in 100 degree heat of summer. 3+ hour legs sounds pretty good from the other perspective.

The regionals were intended to be a small aircraft operation and as a stepping stone to get to the big leagues....with the occassional career stop.
I guess some look at it that way. But, who made those rules--if they do exist?

I absolutely agree with who gave up scope, and everytime I saw it erode further, I saw my chances of making it to the big leagues grow slimmer and slimmer.
I totally agree with you on this one. That's why some of us got stuck.

Now that I'm there, I'm trying to make a difference. How about you?

I applaud and admire your position and attitude. Hopefully, it trickles up some day. But being a realist, I know that there is a point up your seniority list that most view it as a necessity to support their lifestyle and will not join you in your vision. They don't want to fly them or have them in their fleet, but, understandably, they want to control them.

However, Thank you for not forgetting where you came from and campaigning for a lofty goal. In spirit, I am on your team.

Everytime an RJ gets delivered to your company, it will take you that much longer to get to your real goal when you started this career. Which is to fly mainline equipment.

A CRJ200 was not meant to do ATL to ICT, TUL, BTV, PVD, DTW, or anything that long/far. hate those legs and so do the pax. That's not regional flying.

/soapbox

10 years ago the same size airplane was flown for 140 bucks an hour in the right seat.

And that is one of the reasons that most of them went bankrupt.

It's just like paying 300 thousand dollars for a 100 thousand dollar house. Sooner or later the bubble bursts and everything goes to H_ll in the proverbial basket.

They (the pilots) priced themselves out of the market. When management got the opportunity, not only did they take away the excess wages, the also low-balled everything, gutted the work rules and stole the pensions.

That $140/hr you long for was simply a bridge too far.

A battle of pilot GREED vs management GREED and management won.

At times it is prudent to be careful what you ask for - you might get it.

Caveat emptor! Extremes (from either side) are not a good thing.

Last edited:
Why do the mainline people really care about the 170/175 being a mainline plane so much? It is the same thing as a crj900.
Is it because it has slides and engines under the wing?
Its still an RJ... stop the b$tching already!

You are all missing the origanal question. Why are they targeting the 170/175, but I havent seen any threads or websites about taking back or stapling the CR9, or even the CR2/7 for that matter.

It is the same old "only the airplanes that look worthy" syndrom.

You guys will never fix the problem unless you get all the RJs and large T-props back where they belong. And don't give me this crap about it being a "good start". That is so transparent.

You are all missing the origanal question. Why are they targeting the 170/175, but I havent seen any threads or websites about taking back or stapling the CR9, or even the CR2/7 for that matter.

It is the same old "only the airplanes that look worthy" syndrom.

You guys will never fix the problem unless you get all the RJs and large T-props back where they belong. And don't give me this crap about it being a "good start". That is so transparent.

Sir, simply put, you are dead wrong.
We have looked at it from a lot of sides. The quickest way to get this ball rolling is with CPZ and the E-jets. It is for legal reasons.
I know Joe Merchant will chime in here how the Ford-Cookseylawsuit helped save his RJ career, but it did a lot more damaging things.
See that lawsuit caused a lot of issues. Fact is that EV and OH fly the CRJ series. They were the ones that "benefited" from that lawsuit. They are represented by ALPA as DALPA is. We have a few more steps to get those 900's on property than we do with the E jets. It comes down to a representational issues.
We know for a fact that Joe's friend from OH will slap a lawsuit on DALPA/ALPA when we advance on their CRJ turf. We are aware. But, we will be working for those too.
It is not that it is an inferior product. The E-jet is more passenger friendly, but more costly to operate. So from a business perspective the CRJ makes a better business case for us. Just trust Peanuckle and I when we say we are doing everything we can do to do our part in brining back scope.
It will be a long road. But one we are willing to fight. They way I see it If you do not have a good section 1 then the rest of our CBA is not worth the paper it is written on.
Joe and his friends know there are people over here with good minds that are going to fight for this.

Latest resources

Back