• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

170/175 and CRJ900

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
In a word yes. The DAL interview has many unnecessary hoops, but they are hoops that all must jump through to get though the door here.

Did all the NWA pilots go through all the hoops, interviews and were screened? How about all the ex Western pilots? How about all the pilots from the regional that merged with Delta many years ago( was it Northeastern,New England or something like that?) I don't work for Compass, but if you are saying they have to be interviewd and screened to be "good enough" for Delta I say thats bull%$#@. I'm sure there are a few "old timers" at NWA that maybe don't have a degree. Are they "good enough". Maybe some that couldn/t pass the Psycho. test. Are they "good enough"? If you want Compass on your list, then just staple them and be done with it. I live in the Peachtree City area and believe me I know that most of the Delta pilots are great guys and gals, the fact is, you've got some nut cases too. I read about them in the paper. They got through all the hoops and screening too!! And you're worried that some of the regional guys/ gals may not be "good enough".
GMAFB!!

CPZ pilots have already been interviewed/screened by NWA. Of course the NWA interview is considered just as well as the DAL interview for those pilots on their list. The fact is that they have been screened to this "level." (flight time, personality/demeanor, the evil 4-year degree, etc.)

Yes, an interview at a major is more stringent and weeds more people out on a number of factors than a regional interview.

The occassional nutcase gets through here and there in any interview process...but it is very rare. At my previous carrier, we called them the 10%ers. Now here, its the 1%ers.

Last edited:
Did all the NWA pilots go through all the hoops, interviews and were screened? How about all the ex Western pilots? How about all the pilots from the regional that merged with Delta many years ago( was it Northeastern,New England or something like that?) I don't work for Compass, but if you are saying they have to be interviewed and screened to be "good enough" for Delta I say that's bull%$#@. I'm sure there are a few "old timers" at NWA that maybe don't have a degree. Are they "good enough". Maybe some that couldn't pass the Psycho. test. Are they "good enough"? If you want Compass on your list, then just staple them and be done with it. I live in the Peachtree City area and believe me I know that most of the Delta pilots are great guys and gals, the fact is, you've got some nut cases too. I read about them in the paper. They got through all the hoops and screening too!! And you're worried that some of the regional guys/ gals may not be "good enough".
GMAFB!!

I am sure that with all your experience you understand that when you merge with a carrier like NWA all of the pilots come with the carrier. I am sure that if DAL had its way they all would have re-interviewed, but thank GOD for ALPA. That is never going to be an issue.

As for it being more stringent. To the interviewer it is. They are looking for different things. Flt time is not the only qualifier. Fact is that personality is almost as important as the other skills. When I did my ASA interview back in the day, it was total BS. Basically, when can you start??
I know it has changed and much of that is due to the hard work of one woman. But the fact is that what it takes to get though the door at a regional is a joke compared to what it takes to just get an interview here. I know, I am very familiar with the process.
Towards the end of the hiring in 08 we were having a hard time finding people that were considered qualified. We had over 12,000 applications, so yes, just to get a offer is next to impossible, add to that, that about 75% fail that interview.
Four parts, and three of the four are a one time chance. Yep, I think it is different. Just to put it in to light. There have been people that could not get through initial at DAL, they are fired, gone for good. Now the same thing has happened at regionals, and the response is that you are let go, go get some fight time and call us back when you have 800-1000 hrs. They do and they come back.
It is not that you are not "qualified" to fly the airplane. It is a question of whether or not you are the person that will fit in the family. Almost everyone I fly with shares a lot in common with me. There is none of this who's is bigger or better, or smarter crap. We all know that we all had to have the same above average qualifications to get an interview, and the same overall personality to get the job.
As has been stated some nut jobs get through the testing, and some people that should be here get turned down. It goes with the process.

If I could take all DCI pilots and put them on the list, I would, but my glasses are not rose colored, and I like to look for realistic goals.

ACL65

I'm curious as to who the woman at ASA is you're talking about. Surely you don't mean the one that was, lets say (trying to be nice here), DUI challanged!! Thank God, she is long gone.

You guys would do yourself a favor if youd quit stroking your double breasted self, and keep to the task at hand.

SG... You know as well as I do that is not going to happen...
Altough RP has the ability I honestly don't think they want to take on something this big while contracts are trying to be completed...

there is still that rumor going around at republic that republic will buy compass

... and a year and half plus, still hasn't happened. I can't believe that rumor still has legs. You musn't have much to talk about at RP other than who your company will provide financing to next to gain more flying.

I agree with you! But most of that prior Captain experience your F/Os have is in the left seat of a Beech Duchess! Let Delta take the planes and ditch the pilots. Then apply and come to work at Delta.

Sorry Acarpe, incorrect. Lots of right-seaters at CPZ with PIC time from places like ATA, ALOHA, Champion, etc. But you knew that, right? I have no dog in this particular fight but the stereotyping is driving me nuts.

I am sure that with all your experience you understand that when you merge with a carrier like NWA all of the pilots come with the carrier. I am sure that if DAL had its way they all would have re-interviewed, but thank GOD for ALPA. That is never going to be an issue.

As for it being more stringent. To the interviewer it is. They are looking for different things. Flt time is not the only qualifier. Fact is that personality is almost as important as the other skills. When I did my ASA interview back in the day, it was total BS. Basically, when can you start??
I know it has changed and much of that is due to the hard work of one woman. But the fact is that what it takes to get though the door at a regional is a joke compared to what it takes to just get an interview here. I know, I am very familiar with the process.
Towards the end of the hiring in 08 we were having a hard time finding people that were considered qualified. We had over 12,000 applications, so yes, just to get a offer is next to impossible, add to that, that about 75% fail that interview.
Four parts, and three of the four are a one time chance. Yep, I think it is different. Just to put it in to light. There have been people that could not get through initial at DAL, they are fired, gone for good. Now the same thing has happened at regionals, and the response is that you are let go, go get some fight time and call us back when you have 800-1000 hrs. They do and they come back.
It is not that you are not "qualified" to fly the airplane. It is a question of whether or not you are the person that will fit in the family. Almost everyone I fly with shares a lot in common with me. There is none of this who's is bigger or better, or smarter crap. We all know that we all had to have the same above average qualifications to get an interview, and the same overall personality to get the job.
As has been stated some nut jobs get through the testing, and some people that should be here get turned down. It goes with the process.

If I could take all DCI pilots and put them on the list, I would, but my glasses are not rose colored, and I like to look for realistic goals.

ACL- sorry you feel your interview at ASA was a joke. I was hired in 2005, and mine wasn't. Quite honestly, most people were not making it through the interview process, primarilly due to the simulator. Entire interview groups were being thrown out- including candidates that were prior 121.

I agree with you that some sort of screening needs to be done. Would you want to see the "White Dragon" in a Delta uniform- no thanks. However, if the 70/76 seat flying is going back to mainline, I think it should be done in a fair way.

Personally, I feel that a proportional number of pilots ought to be interviewed, and hired, from each carrier that gives back the flying. If 30 airframes leave ASA for Delta, I feel that (based on 5 crews per airframe) 150 of those pilot slots opened at Delta ought to go to previous ASA pilots. Same goes for Compass, Pinnacle, Comair, etc. I can't see anything right about making the regionals bleed, in order for prior military or non DCI affiliated pilots to prosper. Keep the interview the same, but allow those that bleed to share in the reward. Would you not agree that this is not the right thing to do???

In regards to "giving" back the flying. Some may argue that the flying isn't DCI's in the first place. However, I feel we have a stake in the game too. If we've stood tall enough to up the ante, and fight for wages that close the DCI- Mainline gap, I feel that we have sweat equity in the flying. Otherwise, we could have dumped the 70/90 rate so low, that Delta wouldn't even remotely entertain the idea of taking back the 70/90 airframes due to difference in cost. Do you not agree?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back