• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

17 Dead in Montanta

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Officials have identified the plane's pilot, as well as the owner of the PC-12. Buddy Summerfield, 65, was a former military pilot with 2,000 hours in the PC-12, according to authorities. Summerfield was apparently flying three families on a skiing trip, for the plane's owner, Dr. Bud Feldkamp.

Officials have identified the plane's pilot, as well as the owner of the PC-12. Buddy Summerfield, 65, was a former military pilot with 2,000 hours in the PC-12, according to authorities. Summerfield was apparently flying three families on a skiing trip, for the plane's owner, Dr. Bud Feldkamp.

Correct, the owner was not on board. Not sure if the owner is a pilot, though. My prayers to all their families.

o2bflyn, i think there is a healthy level of speculation that goes on among professionals, we are at risk of making the same mistakes, or possibly being the victom of outside forces, so we have a lot more on the line than do the media, or your dentist, or anyone else who asks. I am not immune to it. I do find it entertaining to see that as soon as there is an accident/incident, everyone has it solved without any data.

I know a lot of my early theories have been blown out of the water. I do think that there will be a cause found, I just hope it doesn't do more damage to our industry than is justified at an already precarious time to be an aviator.

For example, if there is a big push for CVRs in smaller aircraft. Little or no benefit if there is not an accident, but huge expense for all the King Airs, Pilatuses (not sure the multiple), etc. Not saying they're not a great idea, just who needs more expence in this environment.

o2bflyn, i think there is a healthy level of speculation that goes on among professionals, we are at risk of making the same mistakes, or possibly being the victom of outside forces, so we have a lot more on the line than do the media, or your dentist, or anyone else who asks. I am not immune to it. I do find it entertaining to see that as soon as there is an accident/incident, everyone has it solved without any data.

I know a lot of my early theories have been blown out of the water. I do think that there will be a cause found, I just hope it doesn't do more damage to our industry than is justified at an already precarious time to be an aviator.

For example, if there is a big push for CVRs in smaller aircraft. Little or no benefit if there is not an accident, but huge expense for all the King Airs, Pilatuses (not sure the multiple), etc. Not saying they're not a great idea, just who needs more expence in this environment.

I can certainly agree with you there.

I think speculation amoung professionals and non-professionals can be useful, within the proper context. The media babbling on like drunken children is not useful, but there are times where a laymen can have a good speculative theory that leads somewhere.

My point in all this is, don't discount someones ideas merely because they don't have the same training level as you (that is a general "you").

I am going to speculate her so go easy.

I think the pilot had a heart attack or between otherwise incapacitated.

Spec

Shroom,

I agree. This is my last post on this subject and here's my take:

1) Ice- NO
2) Low on fuel- NO
3) Heart Attack- maybe. Could explain the diversion to Butte (BTM), but from the Salmon VOR is not close enough timewise compared to Gallatin (BZN) to be much of an advantage if he's feeling crummy.
4) Overloaded- NO
5) Out of AFT CG- maybe
6) Accelerated stall , then an incipient phase of a spin while doing a 180 to enter a right downwind- YES.

My apologies to NJAOwner. I know you mean well.

CC

I flew air medical PC-12's with Bud Summerfield almost 10 years ago. While I did not fly with him personally, he was a base manager and had a reputation for being a good stick, conservative and very knowledgeable. In an industry rampant with cowboys he was decidedly not a cowboy. He took a great deal of experience, wisdom and talent to the grave. The saddest part is the children who went with him.

May all on board RIP.

That's why I conclude it was a medical issue with the pilot. A pilot of his experience would not stall a PC-12 in VFR conditions.

That's why I conclude it was a medical issue with the pilot. A pilot of his experience would not stall a PC-12 in VFR conditions.

that seems quite plausable.

Then why would he cancel his flight plan? Why not simply divert? maybe even declare an emergency.

I think that is the part that is throwing me off a little. My flat out cancel your flight plan if you plan on diverting. Just change destinations. Maybe my info on him cancelling is inaccurate.

Latest resources

Back