• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

135 Scabs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
We got a retired Eagle EMB Jet captain flying 135 at our airline, I suppose he's a scab as well.

It's kind of a tough call to judge some of these people. It's easy when one is young to criticize someone who is trying to extend one's career at the tail-end of it. I for one know when I hit my 60s I won't be ready to strap on a blue Wal-Mart greeters' vest, and the way things are going in this industry I won't be retiring to my beachfront condo in Naples FL! On the other hand, it doesn't seem fair for some of these older types to be undercutting younger pilots' ability to make a good living, especially when it seems to be in order to stave off retirement boredom or earn "beer money". I guess it largely depends on ones' perspective; I would hope we all share the same sensitivity toward younger pilots when the shoe is on the other foot years from now (Somehow, I don't think that will be the case for many here! Just plain old human nature.)

Let's take a more specific situation and one I am aware of. We ahve a retired captain from a major airline who is 61 years old. He would like to stay busy and even enjoy exploring some aspects of aviation that he had not spent any time in. For arguments sake, he was in the $250,000 range at XYZ airline. Did nothing but international heavy aircraft flying.
He comes in and says,,,, look, I am going to get my own XYZ type and would like to work here. Obviously I am not paying $250,000 and he indicates he would start at the low end of the spectrum just to help out.

Has he prostituted himself??? Is he way out of line?? Does he have some unknown obligation to the pilot population to demand a certain salary? My only point is that he gets to make his own decisions on what serves his interest best.

There's certainly no law against it. I would also be willing to bet that he, like many in a similar situation and stage in life, probably doesn't give a rats' a** what anyone else thinks!

HawkerJet,
The pilots you are describing are not scabs. They can work for less with prior earned pensions so the bean counters will exploit this. With your thought process on this subject the same could be said for the rich kid who gets out of college and is subsidized by mom and dad. He or she then takes a regional jet right seat for 18k a year hoping someday to make captain for 40k. This industry and Alpo is in a spin and I don't see the working conditions or pay to get better any time soon. If you wonder what a real scab looks and acts like then look for your nearest member of APA !

Publishers said:
Let's take a more specific situation and one I am aware of. We ahve a retired captain from a major airline who is 61 years old. He would like to stay busy and even enjoy exploring some aspects of aviation that he had not spent any time in. For arguments sake, he was in the $250,000 range at XYZ airline. Did nothing but international heavy aircraft flying.
He comes in and says,,,, look, I am going to get my own XYZ type and would like to work here. Obviously I am not paying $250,000 and he indicates he would start at the low end of the spectrum just to help out.

I know just such a guy, no joke. Unfortunatly, I have lost a GREAT deal of repsect for him. This person certainly would not donate a portion of his salary to the major he worked for to upgrade to 747-400, so why should he donate his money to individuals that can afford a multi-million dollar aircraft just so he does not feel as though he was put out to pasture? I know that the ego of a pilot is a very fragile thing, but gimme a break.

The senority system is what perpetrated this guys career and now he choses (free country) to undercut a system that relies the integritry of the indidual(as opposed to law) to do what is right. While we have free will and all that stuff at the end of the day you will have to look at yourself in the mirror and ask yourself is what you are doing right. If you can say yes, then I guess you are OK ... But to me you always be the guy who undercut the future of aviation for some extra change.

In this case:

Has he prostituted himself? YES Any professional pilot that buys a type rating for a millionair is a prostitute pilot.

Is he way out of line?? YES. For an ALPA guy to behave like this it sickens me. Especially given this individual vocal support of organized labor and the like.

Does he have some unknown obligation to the pilot population to demand a certain salary? YES we all do. We owe to our families not the pilot population. The pilot populations benefit is a secondary.

I have no problem with 60 year old flying airplanes. Let me be clear about that. It is about people using their affluence to gain favor with prospective employers who could otherwise afford to fly an airplane.

Last edited:
G100driver said:
I have no problem with 60 year old flying airplanes. Let me be clear about that. It is about people using their affluence to gain favor with prospective employers who could otherwise afford to fly an airplane.

This won't be much of a problem in the future then, will it? 'Cause airline retirees will need that paycheck just as much as everyone else.

OK but:
1. The millionaire is not buying the type rating. The airline guy is buying it so he would be competitive for positions with 135 or corporate operations. There are plenty others out there with ratings available for the jobs that exist.
2. There are a pile of airline ALPA memebers who like the pay but could not care less about organized labor. They are in a union because they had to be.
3. His family is doing very well thank you and on that issue he could work for free.
4. As stated above, I am sure he does not give a ___ what anyone thinks.
He is not offering to work for free and would be paid in the area of compensation that kind of equipment brings,,,, not to the level of experience he brings.
While everyone on these boards decries paying for your own training, the fact is that it is rare that we cannot find someone already rated for jobs. All these resumes show up from people with years of experience flying big aircraft, but, no rating in what corporate avaition or 135 charter companies fly. They ahve to take an aggressive stance or they will see their careers end. For most that I see that is the case. they send the resume like --here we are we have 50,000 hours in a 777 ,, please call.
Yesterday I interviewed someone who at 340TT was a F/O on 737-200 and then a 767 within a year with a major international carrier. Who is to say what is the right number, the right thing to do. Certainlynot anyone on these boards.

Publishers said:
OK but:
1. The millionaire is not buying the type rating. The airline guy is buying it so he would be competitive for positions with 135 or corporate operations. There are plenty others out there with ratings available for the jobs that exist.
2. There are a pile of airline ALPA memebers who like the pay but could not care less about organized labor. They are in a union because they had to be.
3. His family is doing very well thank you and on that issue he could work for free.
4. As stated above, I am sure he does not give a ___ what anyone thinks.
He is not offering to work for free and would be paid in the area of compensation that kind of equipment brings,,,, not to the level of experience he brings.
While everyone on these boards decries paying for your own training, the fact is that it is rare that we cannot find someone already rated for jobs. All these resumes show up from people with years of experience flying big aircraft, but, no rating in what corporate avaition or 135 charter companies fly. They ahve to take an aggressive stance or they will see their careers end. For most that I see that is the case. they send the resume like --here we are we have 50,000 hours in a 777 ,, please call.
Yesterday I interviewed someone who at 340TT was a F/O on 737-200 and then a 767 within a year with a major international carrier. Who is to say what is the right number, the right thing to do. Certainlynot anyone on these boards.

Like I said before, if a person can afford and airplane he can afford to train pilots. I could really care less about 135 ect. You need pilots, train them. No free handouts. Congress can take care of that. Not professional pilots.

If his family is doing quite well and he can do it for free, well that is great. Then why is he out here offering to buy his own type rating. Just so he is not bored? He has a massive ego and needs to fly people in order to have it stroked? Gimme a break. He lived and prospered through the senority system. It is now time to do what his brethren had done before him, retire with dignaty. (I am talking this guy. No PM's about how you lost your retirement and you need to send your kids to college because your 3rd wife took your B-Fund money).

Publishers, thank-you for a well reasoned, though completely wrong-minded response. Remember, we are all hear to educate those who need an education.

I will continue to call BS on this type of behavior as it is un-professional and does not help us a whole.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back