• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

129 AA pilots retired Oct 1

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
1. Admired AA for not persuing the gov't protection route...keeping the pensions alive was admirable.

How nice that you admire something that was admirable.....

SWA had all the government protection they were ever going to need care of the Love Field WA. And SWA pilots were just all too eager to go to work with no pension. AA would be a lot better off if you had acted "admirably"....

APA blastmail

Those guys have all the luck. A contract that gives senior pilots some real options (retire with an old stock price on their lump sum), a management that asks for relief, the rest of the pilots willing to say get lost.

"Management informed APA late this afternoon that 129 American Airlines pilots have opted to retire as of Oct. 1.

"To mitigate the impact on the airline's schedule of the higher-than-normal number of Sept. 1 and Oct. 1 pilot retirements, management has presented APA with a relief proposal. The APA leadership is evaluating management's proposal and we will let you know once we have determined what our response will be.

"Based on the large volume of SoundOff messages we have received from members recently on this topic, it's clear that many of you are opposed to granting relief in the present circumstances. We appreciate the feedback and encourage you to continue using SoundOff to express your views to your elected representatives."

I suppose CAL will have to wait until 1,795 days past our amenable date to say "no" to the company. We're only 1,004 day past it now. 791 days to go! In the meantime, keep those ontime checks flowing!

Last edited:
Maybe the company should think a little further ahead than the next quarter's profit. If they have such foresight as to finely tune how many they're going to put on the street, maybe they could use the same high-tech methods to realize that when the stock value starts to plummet, the senior pilots may start bailing.

"American Airlines says it will lay off up to 175 pilots—about two per cent of its 7,800 pilots--beginning next month because it needs fewer pilots after cutting some flights. American sent notices to 80 pilots, telling them that they will lose their jobs at the end of February. A spokesman said there could be a second round of furloughs in the spring. American last year cut capacity about seven per cent as it struggled with a downturn in travel during the rough economy. The Fort Worth-based air carrier already has about 1,800 pilots on furlough." -- 1/22/10

American Airlines:

"While more of our pilots than might normally be expected made the decision to retire in on October 1, we expect to operate our schedule with minimal customer inconvenience.

"In preparation for a higher than usual number of retirements, we've taken a number of steps to minimize any customer inconvenience.

"We have made a proposal to the APA that would mitigate near-term staffing shortages that is good for both the airline and our pilots.

"Recent schedule reductions also have allowed us to absorb a higher retirement number than our historic rate for our current schedule."

The year's not over yet. Wait for November.

However, the Oct number was very light. Just goes to show how utterly stupid a lot of AA captains are.

How nice that you admire something that was admirable.....

SWA had all the government protection they were ever going to need care of the Love Field WA. And SWA pilots were just all too eager to go to work with no pension. AA would be a lot better off if you had acted "admirably"....

You really are a fvcking tool aren't you

sad sad little tool

Yep that is the one and only. He and I were 2/3 rds of the ABE J32 Capt. roster. The other 1/3 rd is JB's girlfriend now wife living down in the Big D sipping a cool drink next to her pool. Another hint for JB is that he used his powers for good (I think it was the Beige book contract ) but now uses his powers for the evil empire in headquarters not the pilot group. Are you also ex ACA Learlove ? It looks like we are both part of the same dysfunctional family now.

I was ALG in ABE (and SYR) on the Dash. I know BL from the local airport scene. He was instructing at DYL when I was in college and instructing in the NXX flying club. He hangs around the FBO every now and then and we do the typical pilot catch-up. BL lives right next to the airport (south side). I just bought a townhouse on the other side of the field so expect a reduction bid for PHL in the next month or so.

Did you fly with JL in ABE on the J32? We went to high school together. His dad was our soccer coach.

This is APA President Captain Dave Bates with a special hotline message for Saturday October 1, 2011.

As we reported yesterday, APA received a request from management for staffing relief because of higher than expected rates of retirement.

APA has a process and protocol for dealing with proposals from the company. The proposal has been sent to our negotiating committee which will begin evaluating it next week. The APA Board of Directors will be kept appraised of the progress and content of subsequent discussions and ultimately vote on any agreement.

After five long years of negotiations, and in light of recent progress, it is my view that staffing relief provisions be included as part of a complete package to close out section six negotiations. History has shown that AMR can move very quickly to negotiate contracts when they choose to do so.

Your APA leadership has been receiving a large number of phone calls and sound-offs lately. We appreciate your input and are listening carefully. We will be updating our hotline on a more frequent basis going forward and urge all members to keep engaged.

Latest resources

Back