• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

129 AA pilots retired Oct 1

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How nice that you admire something that was admirable.....

SWA had all the government protection they were ever going to need care of the Love Field WA. And SWA pilots were just all too eager to go to work with no pension. AA would be a lot better off if you had acted "admirably"....

Dude, you don't really believe that AA management propaganda, do you? I gotta' believe that you know it's crap, but you're just saying it to poke someone. Because if you really belive that the Wright Amendment was SWA's deal, or in any way good for SWA, then you ought to be pee-tested ASAP. Pick up a history book for God's sake.

The Wright Amendment came into being AFTER Texas airlines failed in numberous, groundless lawsuits to stop SWA from flying. Two airlines, Continental and Texas International, actually pleaded nolo contendre in criminal court for their illegal efforts and collusion in this campaign. After all the courts decided in SWA's favor, there was no legal way to stop SWA from flying and competing in Texas (1971). When SWA intended to expand outside of Texas after the 1978 deregulation, more groundless suits followed. All failed, again due to lack of merit. At this point, Jim Wright, US Representative from Fort Worth area, and basically an AA stooge, just changed the law. His first attempt was rebuffed, but he managed to slip was was essentially a writ of attainder (look it up) in to an unrelated bill. The despicable Wright Amendment was born. A law clearly designed specifically to prevent American Airlines and others from having to compete in the marketplace (you remember how capitalism works, right?) with an airline who, arguably had a better business model. That's obviously anti-competitive and anti-capitalistic, and clearly un-American.

To say that SWA benefited from the Wright Amendment is not only disingenuous and complete BS, it's also plain laughable. SWA had no part in its creation, fought its inception, but eventually had to accept it, as it was the new, protectionist law. SWA thrived in spite of the law. American Airlines got essentially a 35-year reprieve from having to actually compete with Southwest. What a shocker that American fought its lifting in the eventual 2006 compromise.

As you said, the Wright Amendment was indeed government protection. However, it was for American Airlines' protection, not SWA's. But you knew that, didn't you?

Bubba

When I say WA to Prussian he knows what I'm talking about. We vetted this many years ago. I understand what you're saying. My point is that SWA should have never been allowed to stay at Love, or in a scenario where they were, Braniff should have been allowed to as well. That was not the case. Without Love Field, and an ever adjusted WA that met the most current "protection" SWA required this would be a different industry.

And what the hell is Prussian doing commenting on AA's or any other legacy's pension plan? WTF?! I guess we've all forgotten a very large portion of the real reason we've lost pensions?

I was ALG in ABE (and SYR) on the Dash. I know BL from the local airport scene. He was instructing at DYL when I was in college and instructing in the NXX flying club. He hangs around the FBO every now and then and we do the typical pilot catch-up. BL lives right next to the airport (south side). I just bought a townhouse on the other side of the field so expect a reduction bid for PHL in the next month or so.

Did you fly with JL in ABE on the J32? We went to high school together. His dad was our soccer coach.

If you are talking about John (Mr. RC Aircraft), Then we flew together a whole bunch in the mighty Jetscream. Hopefully he has recovered from all our trips to ROC or CRW.Tell him I said hello. Is he still by Bowman's Tower? You may also know a friend of mine who was in ABE and BGM on the Dash. Mat T ring a bell?

If you are talking about John (Mr. RC Aircraft), Then we flew together a whole bunch in the mighty Jetscream. Hopefully he has recovered from all our trips to ROC or CRW.Tell him I said hello. Is he still by Bowman's Tower? You may also know a friend of mine who was in ABE and BGM on the Dash. Mat T ring a bell?

Yeah that's him. Over by Bowman's Tower is where his parents live. He got hitched a few years ago and has a son. They bought a house just north of Doylestown. He hangs out at the FBO every now and then. I need to get a hold of him because the guy who was in my hangar before me left an RC T-34. I've tried to get in contact with the owner to see if he wants it but it has been six months and no word - so I want to get JL to get it running and show me how to fly it.

What would happen if they declaired BK the last week of October would the people who decided to retire the next week after still get their pension? Or does it all have to be done but the BK filing. Good luck to all.

So how will the new stock price effect retirements in Nov?

AMR stock price doesn't really directly affect the retirements...well, other than scaring the sh&t out of people who think the airline's going to auger in.

A down market, in general, affects the retirements because of the look back clause and being able to cash out at the higher market value of the retirement plan that was 90 days ago.

Latest resources

Back