• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

1261 days to go!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not to rain on this parade but they are looking at age 70 now. That would take it to 2671. Of course I don't see more than half the guys at my outfit making it to 65 let alone 70. If that changes expect to see a lot of ambulances meeting planes when they land due to a medical emergency in the cockpit. I've already heard rumor of an airline having a couple of over 60's die in the layover hotel of natural causes.

Well, I don't think ALPA has the b*lls to survey for Age 70 now with thousands of the younger membership furloughed. In my opinion, Age 70 would effectively end many furloughed pilots chances at a career in this business. It would also be a major hit to guys still flying with any hope of moving up in the ranks. I don't think those guys would be hoodwinked again. Is there a precedent out there for Age 70 pilots in the ICAO ranks? I honestly don't know. Age 70 just seems like a pipe dream.

Human nature

Fullsail,

remember, a lack of b*lls will always be trumped by greed and the ability of people to justify anything if there is something they want.

The idea of age 70 is simply ridiculous. As if the first 5 years werent enough. I guess working longer in the left seat on a widebody is not that bad, and they are already making the most money. But for someone like me, stuck at the bottom, its a different game.

Regards,

dane

You should see the amout of sick time being used and Medical Leaves being used by our re-treads that we hired back. The "experienced" pilots are nothing but an anchor.

Sorry, but some of you guys need to get a grip. I don't see age 70 energy level anywhere near what it was for age 65. Age 65 generated energy for a host of issues...social security, medicare vulnerabilities, let alone bankrupcy pension issues. Those issues have largely gone away, as they would have, had age 65(or age 62/63) back in 1991, had age 65 passed back then. Unfortunately, these issues were not addressed in finality until late 2007, due to ICAO. IOW, it finally happened during a major world financial meltdown. (Careful what you wish for).

Oh, and as far as "oldsters" calling in sick....sorry, but it's the weekends that are hard to cover. Go figure...

Oh, yeah...846 at midnight...!!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back