• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

1261 days to go!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
As a proud member of the geezer generation, at 66 I knocked off my last 1st class without glasses, how many of you youngsters have to wear glasses to get your 1st class?

good for you too. But are you proud of that? It's not necessary to be uncorrected 20/20- just correctable- and it's not like you worked hard and got good eyesight. Eyesight is the least of the reasons my ME noted. It was cognive ability and quickness, blood pressure, obesity, diabeties, apnea - there are those that are clearly unhealthy after a lifetime of strange sleep schedules-
just curious if anyone is actually getting the boot? Or are they just finding an ME who will play ball?

Did we never have an-in-flight incapacitation prior to the age 65 rule? Was anything done then to reduce the age of a pilot? How about a rule we lower the retirement age to the age of the last pilot whom had the in-flight incapacitation. If he was 58 years old then that will be the new retirement. If the next guy is 48 that becomes the new retirement. That would really be the safest way to do it. Wouldn’t it? Age 60 was forced on the pilots back in 1958. ALPA was still fighting to get it repealed up until about 1970. This rule had nothing to do with safety; it was a deal between two W.W.II USAF Generals, AAL's C.R. Smith and Pete Quesada (sp.?) the first head of the FAA. It was to get rid of high paid pilots at the top of AAL the seniority list. It was done in the name of safety, because who can be against safety. It is like motherhood and patriotism

Pilotyip- I don't think you get the argument. For my sake- It was the timing. Hiring had just begun- after 7 years of post 9/11 outsourcing and bs bankruptcies- things were moving again- to change a rule that led directly to deep furloughs bc of it's quick implementation hung every junior guy at a major out to dry. Pilots were hired in anticipation of retirements- and then axed when those retirements didn't happen. And bc of seniority- and how we must start over- it's been tough for too many- the senior/job protected has sold out my generation more in the past decade than in any other decade. It's just facts. Boomers protect their jobs with the cushion of seniority- and ax the guys at the bottom to keep what they got.

Vote republican- disenfranchise yourself.
Get confused why our unions don't have leverage and....
Outsource domestic flying while furloughing
and push for age 65 in an attempt to get back a pension that would still be there if you guys didn't vote for people who don't believe in unions or that we deserve 1/3 of our paychecks.

My generation is waking up- the generation behind me is not confused about the boomers greed.

You got everything. Stop b!tching about us being happy about the day movement in this career will happen again. What's wrong with looking forward to a day that will benefit everyone not at the top?

timing man timing

Pilotyip- I don't think you get the argument. ?

Of course I get the argument; an aviation career is a crapshoot. Sometimes you roll 7's sometimes you roll craps. As I have posted many times, luck and timing play a much greater role in your career than do skill and desire. Wave runner I am also of the humble opinion that in the end the consumer of airline travel will determine pay and working conditions at the airlines in the future. BTW Funny I get cover letters from pilot looking for jobs I have seen such statement as "Looking a position in growing, stable, airline with job security" I tempted to write back "if you find one let me know"

Of course I get the argument; an aviation career is a crapshoot. Sometimes you roll 7's sometimes you roll craps.

And sometimes the geezers stab you in the back and steal your chips.

if things work out

And sometimes the geezers stab you in the back and steal your chips.
and if things work out, you too can reach my age.

Latest resources

Back