• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

1261 days to go!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
sounds like Adam Smith, looking out for one's own self interest in ever economic decision.

That is not true. SWA rehired some who had already retired. So yes, we have some over 62 at SWA.

They were hired only as F/O's on the bottom of the list so I wouldn't count that. What a screw job!

They were hired only as F/O's on the bottom of the list so I wouldn't count that. What a screw job!

I guess the stagnation and furloughs of thousands of pilots due to the age change pales in comparison to your geriatric ass getting "wrongfully" booted at age 60 off the top of the list? You knew the rules when you started........

:smash:

Now GTFOOMYSMFOB

Last edited:
This is what you said.

The fact is that since the law was changed in December, 2007 there is not a single age 62 pilot on the property at SWA. The oldest anyone could be at SWA is 61.

I meant to say, "All of out THAT said....."

I omitted the word "that."

I will leave sometime between next week and age 66.

I've flown with guys that said orginally they would leave at 62. But aren't going to now.

You knew the rules when you started........

Not true because all the rules changed.

Personally, I'm glad to not have to put up with all the crap nowadays. Trust me on this; it really is good to be gone. Whether a pilot is on the top or the bottom of the list, it’s bad.

This career is now a life of uncertainty and borderline hell. A pilot can go from the top of their career to joblessness at the bottom in the blink of an eye by just picking up the newspaper to see their company is selling half the fleet.

Every pilot who is currently on furlough had a good job before they came to a Delta, American, NWA, UAL, UPS, SWA, Alaska, any good regional airline, etc; and while on furlough they are in a period of uncertainty, unable to get back to were they were anytime in the foreseeable future, with an element of doubt as to whether they will even want to come back again at all, just to go through hell again and again.

What to you do when you've given up your good 10-year captain job at a regional airline to move to a major and then get furloughed quickly? Do you go back to the bottom at a Regional if that’s even possible? Do you become a school teacher or a stay-at-home dad or mom? That situation is hell for those people, and unfortunately most everyone on furlough has a similar situation, maybe even repeated twice or more. It's truly awful.

Yes, age-65 was a screw job for many pilots, but so was age-60 in the first place when it was first enacted. At that time, 100% of pilots fought any age restrictions.

Now, because of the current situation with the eliminations of the defined benefit retirement (pension) plans, age-65 is really what every pilot has to have to financially survive. Nowadays, in this economic market for pilots, quitting (retiring) early is no longer an option. Age-65 retirement has become a necessity driven by big businesses efforts to crush the pilot profession of high paying jobs. In the future, pilot careers will be at school teacher wages.

Pilots can no longer be in this business for the money, it will have to be for the love of the game.

Last edited:
fly because you like to

Not true because all the rules changed.

Personally, I'm glad to not have to put up with all the crap nowadays. Trust me on this; ............Pilots can no longer be in this business for the money, it will have to be for the love of the game.
Fly because you like to......... you may be disappointed

Interesting factoid at CAL: I went back to the right seat and took a smaller paycut than the guys flying past 60 with frozen A Plans are now taking in their lump sums. I find myself surprised at the effect this has on the ones that aren't retiring (quite a few are). They can't quit, they can't work, and they can't get ahead. They could retire now or at 65, either way they're broke when they do. All they can do is get old. It's somewhat sad.

Latest resources

Back