• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

1261 days to go!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Wow. The sense of entitlement out of you jackasses is amazing.

Examine the sense of entitlement closer.

Prater made this [65] happen when/how he wanted. Career expectations are a very real ingredient in situations where seniority is in flux and not something to be ignored. Could Prater have shown more regard for career expectations in the age 65 effort? Did that even cross his mind? Well, look what he did with USAir and America West. He not only wiped his a$$ with career expectations, he threw arbitration under the bus as well.

There is a pattern here and it stinks of entitlement on the part of Prater.

Edit: Prater touched on career expectations about the time he was misleading us with the Blue Ribbon Panel. He claimed the change would include a substantive effort to keep 60 as normal retirement. Of course, that was a fabrication and he's had that scrubbed from the web site.

Last edited:
ALPA didn't want the spectacle of a steady stream of retirees with no pensions pushing carts at Wal-Mart shoppers.

Bad press for an already weak brand.

TC

P.S.--I hope the airlines that supported this choke on all the over-60 guys who are out sick burning up their sick bank.

Seems to me that anyone that's been in this job for 20+ years should know better than to count on a pension or even a full career at one carrier for that matter.

The bottom line is most of these senior pilots were like the rest of America--saving nothing. Now it's come to bite them in the a$$ and this bit of legislation has come to bail them out. It truly is a bailout plan for the senior pilots that weren't fiscally responsible. Generation X, Y and millennium groups will pay for it by having to work to 65 also.

I know it sucks to have your investments go down so much with the crash, but these people should have been allocating their money to much safer assets as they approached age 60. So no excuses there either.

If you ask me who the entitlement generation is, it's the baby boomers who have lived (and spent their way) through the greatest economic boom this country has seen and have little to show for it.

I really don't see much of a silver lining except for those already at the top. And yes, my financial plan is still to retire at 60. Upgrade or not, I want to enjoy life after working on these slave ships--not die at the oars like so many are bound to do. Good luck with that.

Strangely I feel better now. I vented a little.

PS I actually do like this job, just need some better work rules--hence the slave ship metaphor at the end.

Last edited:
Seems to me that anyone that's been in this job for 20+ years should know better than to count on a pension or even a full career at one carrier for that matter.

The bottom line is most of these senior pilots were like the rest of America--saving nothing. Now it's come to bite them in the a$$ and this bit of legislation has come to bail them out. It truly is a bailout plan for the senior pilots that weren't fiscally responsible. Generation X, Y and millennium groups will pay for it by having to work to 65 also.

I know it sucks to have your investments go down so much with the crash, but these people should have been allocating their money to much safer assets as they approached age 60. So no excuses there either.

If you ask me who the entitlement generation is, it's the baby boomers who have lived (and spent their way) through the greatest economic boom this country has seen and have little to show for it.

I really don't see much of a silver lining except for those already at the top. And yes, my financial plan is still to retire at 60. Upgrade or not, I want to enjoy life after working on these slave ships--not die at the oars like so many are bound to do. Good luck with that.

Strangely I feel better now. I vented a little.

PS I actually do like this job, just need some better work rules--hence the slave ship metaphor at the end.

Bueno!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Especially the part about spending their way thru the biggest economic boom the country's ever seen.

"If you ask me who the entitlement generation is, it's the baby boomers who have lived (and spent their way) through the greatest economic boom this country has seen and have little to show for it."

Ed-Zacharay.

The most bitter and "betrayed" guys in my crash pad can in the same breath wax on about their cars, boats, airplanes and second homes...

"If you ask me who the entitlement generation is, it's the baby boomers who have lived (and spent their way) through the greatest economic boom this country has seen and have little to show for it."

Ed-Zacharay.

The most bitter and "betrayed" guys in my crash pad can in the same breath wax on about their cars, boats, airplanes and second homes...

Exactly-and EVERY one of you would act the same way if you were their age. Funny.

Wow. The sense of entitlement out of you jackasses is amazing. "Hurry up and quit so I can have your job." Are you listening to what you're saying? If you're so worried about the guys behind you on the street, why don't you quit? For that matter, when you hit 60 you better damn sure retire after statements like that.

Guys at age 60-65 that have any seniority right now are dealing with lost pensions that were promised to them, that they invested into, and were depending on. Mostly lost by poor management, coupled with making as little as 40% of what they were 8-10 years ago. Before you could probably do more than occupy space and MAYBE sling the gear. 65 for them, means a few more years to recoup some loss. 65 for you mean another 5 years to fatten your retirement. For fvcks sake get over it already.

If you truly are a SIG, shouldn't you be living prudently within your means?

Apparently you think 'entitlement' means: "You got yours and now you're going to take mine too." That's the ******************** sandwich we've been served. Pretty weak trying to paint it as anything different. Don't be a Tool.

5 years at the bottom DOES NOT equal five years at the top. Save it for people too stupid to grasp simple math. That dog won't hunt here.

Screwing your fellow pilots to get back what management took from you is weak and you know it.

Actually, Mefesto, you probably don't. We're talking about things beyond the realm of the Navy, so you are beyond your depth. We don't try to tell you how to hit the carrier......don't tell us how things work in our world. You're out of your element.

Exactly-and EVERY one of you would act the same way if you were their age. Funny.
Nope.
Sad coping mechanism. Every pilot in the world is NOT on board with stepping on the throats of their brethren. Just you and your kind.

Last edited:
Good thread idea. Sure 1200 days is a lot, but it'll be here sooner than we think.

And for all the old geezers staying on, here's to 3 more years of getting up 3 times on an overnight to go pee.

Time to look into getting a hobby now, because aside from the few who can't retire now, most of ya don't live much of an interesting life now to retire when you can.

How exactly are you paying for it? As near as I can tell, you've got another 5 years you get to work, with which to make MORE money. Plus you won't be spending those five years trying to recoup your nest egg.

And my high horse is only 30. I actually left the 121 world to go Mil.

Oh, Go Gators!

Sonny,
You left the 121 world. Ha. As some pimple faced FO running around with a Jansport backpack flying some prop-job around. You had no perspective outside struggling with an ILS into some po-dunk grain silo town. You are 30, idealistic and don't know crap yet outside your Navy plane. How would I know that...I've been on both sides and seen a million of you guys. My suggestion is this....keep your pie-hole shut and let people think you are ignorant rather than open it and prove it. That will save you a lot of grief in the future.

Latest resources

Back