• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

1261 days to go!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Everyone just calls names and argues their side without any data to back their argument. The young guys say get out of my way and the baby boomers say shut up, I will make more money and you can work five more years also so you shouldn’t complain. It is true the baby boomers will get to work longer and make more money however it will be at the cost of generations to come.
Here is the logic. I will give three scenarios. All will be of a 30 year old regional captain. Scenario #1 will be if said person got hired at a major airline today and the old age 60 rule was still enforced. Scenario #2 he will not get hired at a major airline for another 5 years however he will retire at 65. Scenario #3 he will not get hired at a major airline for another 5 years but will retire early at age 60.
I’ll use rough average numbers $100,000/yr FO and $170,000/yr Captain.
Scenario #1.
$1,000,000 10yrs FO
$3,400,000 20yrs Captain
=
$4.4 million
Scenario #2
$350,000 5yrs regional Captain
$1,000,000 10yrs FO
$3,400,000 20yrs Captain
=
$4.75 million
Scenario #3
$1,000,000 10yrs FO
$2,550,000 15yrs Captain
=
$3.9 million
So yes the baby boomers are right you can work five more years however you won’t make more money. If this person wants to retire at age 60 he will make half a million dollars less than pre age 65 days. Or he can work until 63 and make the same amount, basically working 3 years for free.

Don't forget about compound interest.

Anyway, only a bunch of dumbass pilots could come up with the idea that everyone should work longer for less money. Thanks, John Prater! Hey instead of lobbying to repeal the RLA that has constrained working people since 1926 let's find an easy way out and steal seniority from young families that can barely pay their bills. Brilliant!

Don't forget about compound interest.

Anyway, only a bunch of dumbass pilots could come up with the idea that everyone should work longer for less money. Thanks, John Prater! Hey instead of lobbying to repeal the RLA that has constrained working people since 1926 let's find an easy way out and steal seniority from young families that can barely pay their bills. Brilliant!

yeah compound interest for the few that are smart enough to invest. Compound interest would also be a good argument for a flat rate. However it seems that we aren't in the business of making money.

Everyone just calls names and argues their side without any data to back their argument. The young guys say get out of my way and the baby boomers say shut up, I will make more money and you can work five more years also so you shouldn’t complain. It is true the baby boomers will get to work longer and make more money however it will be at the cost of generations to come.
Here is the logic. I will give three scenarios. All will be of a 30 year old regional captain. Scenario #1 will be if said person got hired at a major airline today and the old age 60 rule was still enforced. Scenario #2 he will not get hired at a major airline for another 5 years however he will retire at 65. Scenario #3 he will not get hired at a major airline for another 5 years but will retire early at age 60.
I’ll use rough average numbers $100,000/yr FO and $170,000/yr Captain.
Scenario #1.
$1,000,000 10yrs FO
$3,400,000 20yrs Captain
=
$4.4 million
Scenario #2
$1,000,000 10yrs FO
$3,400,000 20yrs Captain
=
$4.75 million
Scenario #3
$1,000,000 10yrs FO
$2,550,000 15yrs Captain
=
$3.9 million
So yes the baby boomers are right you can work five more years however you won’t make more money. If this person wants to retire at age 60 he will make half a million dollars less than pre age 65 days. Or he can work until 63 and make the same amount, basically working 3 years for free.

Don't forget the 5 year stagnation as an FO as a result of age 65. 5 years more as an FO.. 5 years less as a CA.

Don't forget the 5 year stagnation as an FO as a result of age 65. 5 years more as an FO.. 5 years less as a CA.

I calculated the stagnation as a regional captain. clearly that's worse than a major FO. Stagnation as a regional FO would be even worse and if you are stagnated as a flight instructor we are talking huge loses. But we should feel bad for the old guys because now instead of retiring filthy rich they are only going to be moderately rich.

Latest resources

Back