• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Your First Car

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My first car was a '63 pontiac catalina two door. It came from a tech school teacher that got it painted by the tech school boys. White roof and metalic light blue body. Lots of chrome and as big as a DC-3.

400 cubic inch engine with a Rochester two bbl carb. Not fast off the line, but it could hold it's own at speed. Given a little bit more experience and contacts, I could have probably incorporated and worked the car as a contract hauler for the moonshine industry or leased it out as chase car for P.I.T manuvering errant semi's off the road for the state patrol.

If you don't think there are errant semi drivers that get P.I.T. 'ed off the road in Richmond Virginia...I recall an incident where a trucker ran the toll booth on HWY 95, killing a motorist in the process. State patrol ran up on that dude and eventually had to shoot into the cab with a shotgun during the chase. The truck wound up going airborne off of an interstate overpass and started a big fire.

1986 Honda Civic CRX repainted yellow with no radio and no AC. You might be saying, what a sh!t-box, and rightly so. However, I loved that car (still do) because I worked my nuts off since I was in the 6th grade mowing lawns and paid cash for it. $2800 bucks, that's 280 lawns mowed at $10 a pop.

'64 Ford Galaxy 500

Once a day I would fill up the oil and check the gas. Got stopped in Memphis once for "Too much smoke." :)

Moved up from that to a '70 Duster....

and then got the '69 Mach I :)

'68 Cutlass Supreme. Hi comp 350, premium gas only, Quadrajet, two-speed Powerglide, dual exhust with glasspacs. Deep metallic green with white pinstripes, white roof and interior, chrome hood pins, chrome mags. Buckets and console with factory 8-track. Would love to have it back.

I got beat off the line often, but the Powerglide didn't upshift til about 65 mph when floored, and I reeled in most Chevys and Fords at around 40 mph...:cool:

120 mph on Bias Ply Tires, Not cool. That thing would get real light. I think it would have actually flown at around 140.....

My grandfather was nice enough to give me his 1974 Chevy Caprice Classic complete with airshocks. With the 454 powerplant and curb weight of 2 tons, I think I got 12 gallons to the mile.

Not too long thereafter I was graciously given a 1982 Datsun 200SX that had the talking warning system (fuel level is low, door is ajar, etc)....Even though I pulled the fuse, it still kept talking!

My first new car was a bright red 1990 Volkwagen Jetta GLI with the Recaro seats and BBS wheels. It certainly was a performer until it had the VW staple electrical fire that melted the dash.

1971 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu. 307 V8. Had all the makings of a great car, but since my Dad didn't want to get me a hot rod, it was a beige 4 door granny car. I learned to work on cars with that beast. Paid $1500 for it in 1980. Finally sold it a few years later for a 1976 Datsun 260Z. I REALLY learned how to work on cars with that one (balancing the carbs every couple of weeks).

Grandprixcrop.jpg

Here's mine, circa 1982.........

'77 Grand Prix SJ, with just about every option, including the always leaking, Hurst T-Tops!

I wish I still had it AND the hair!;)

First new car: 1995 Ponticac Grand Am. Still driving it, and the other day the odometer hit 165,000 miles. Great car, despite being built by GM.

1964 Ford Falcon Van. I needed something to haul my New Honda CR250.

170 cubes with a three on the tree. Max speed straight and level was 72 mph....with a tail wind and about 10 miles to build up speed.:D

'91 Ford Tempo, a tank compared to what is out on the road now. I took out a guys front end with at 15mph and I only had to pull a few pieces out of my back bumper.

Latest resources

Back