Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Birdstrike

Atlantic City
Jarhead's thread about the end of the Old line got me to thinking about my first car. What was yours?

Mine was a two-door '65 Chevvy Malibu SS. Stock 230 with the white naugahide interior but with bucket seats and a T-shifter on the console. I bought it in '72 for $600. Erector set parts held the 8-track onto the bottom of the dash. A florist van creamed me from behind and that was the end of it. Great car, though.

435 hp Stingray, 1969, T-top.

Trips, later changed out to an 1150 CFM Holley with gear drive secondaries (four squirts of gas when you stomp on it) on an Edlebrock highrise manifold, and phase three hood from motion performance. Muncie rock crusher, 411.

A stingray was your first car, TB? Nothing like starting at the top. I can imagine what you must drive now.

1979 Buick Electra Limited 2 door coupe. I could block a county road by parking in the middle and opening both doors. Awesome car with the 403 motor. Passes anything but a gas station...

SK:cool:

My first car-- 73 Plymouth Duster-- I think I just revealed my age. also while in high school has nearly unlimited access to my Dad's
'76 Honda 750-Four motorcycle. With the cars, motorcycles, chainsaws, and airplanes its a wonder I am still alive in one piece.

Last edited:
My first "new" car, as opposed to "used" car, is still the miles ahead favorite of every car I have owned since. It was a 1966 Ford Mustang. The exterior was a copper/bronze color, and the interior had the sports package, with the chrome spoke steering wheel with copper colored leather laced up around the steering wheel. It had the shift lever in the floor, and copper and white leather seats.

I bought it for $2800 in 1966. Car payment of $66 a month was doable for me. I was single at the time, and the car was a 'chick magnet'

Then, I got married, and my wife had a 1966 new Pontiac. Yellow with black interior. Her car had only 4000 miles on it, and my Mustang had 21000 miles on it. We decided we did not need two new cars, so we sold one. We sold my Mustang, because it had the most miles on it. That was a huge mistake, as that yellow Pontiac was a pig, and just fell apart by looking at it. I still see from time to time, 65 and 66 Mustangs out on the road, and it always brings me back to those times.

Last edited:
nothing exotic or fast here - a 6 year old, 2-door '82 chevy cavalier with clattering valves. a real muff magnet for my high school years, especially after the accident when i had to replace the driver door with a white one from the salvage yard, the car was otherwise bright red. it then became known as "the white-trash-mobile", oh the shame.

first car that you owned, new or used.

1988 chevy caprice classic wagon...305 to pull it's weight, got rid of it a year ago when it died right in the middle of the road...i could go from my home to my HS (about 3 miles) and chew a quarter tank of gas, and it was taking a quart of oil a week...that car was awesome...loved it...

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back