• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Your First Car

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Mid 80's full size Buick Electra Wagon. Big.

Everyone laughed until they needed a place to drink a 1/4 keg and/or get laid.

(every fri/sat night)

We even used to know a girl named Heather (aka "header") who used to do her thing in the far back (with whoever) as we drove around.

miss those days sometimes..

:D

66 GTO, 389, six-pack, 4-speed, 390 gears...yeah come on......

I got one of those....... only it's got a .030 over 455 with TRIPOWER ;).............. The only six pack at my house is in the fridge!!!!!!! No Mopars around here!:D

It's finally getting painted next week!!!!!!!

First car ever was a 1959 Volvo Amazon, 1.6 L 4 cyl.

The car was 16 years old at the time, I was 17.

Drove it to every country side dance I could find.
Loaded with buds, moonshine and a good time.

Due to coolant leaks and a general lack of maintenance, it would over-heat now and then, especially up the long and steep hills in the old country.

We took turns getting out and taking a pizz in the radiator to replensih the coolant.

It ran happily thereafter, for a while.....:D

First car

Mine was a '62 Corvair Monza with four-on-the-floor.
Originally posted by wildbill
Two cars later 1970 Dodge Charger R/T . . .
I had a good friend who bought the same model Charger. Totally cool car that he bought new. He didn't keep it all that long, and I never knew why.

Speaking of Oldsmobiles, I had two. A '78 Cutlass with a little V-8 and five-on-the-floor. I bought it used with 7K on the odometer and kept it for ten years. It was nice to begin with, but deteriorated into a piece of junk. The plastic insert in the steering wheel disintegrated in my hands. The headliner collapsed. It eventually looked worse than many "airport" cars people drive, which made it appropriate for me at the time as a new professional pilot and flight instructor. I put in at least three clutches, a tranny and a new engine. Not one of GM's better efforts.

I then got an '89 Cutlass Calais International Series. It had the Quad Four engine and a five-speed. This was a much better car. Quality was much improved. That car took me from job to job across the country twice and to a couple of interviews while I was flying. Good road car and fun to drive, but it lacked torque and real acceleration, undoubtedly because of the four-banger. I traded it in after six years for a Pontiac V-6 with much better acceleration.

1985 Mercury Lynx wagon. Ran it up to 180,000 miles. Cleaned the spark plugs twice a week and went through more oil than a 2 stroke lawnmower. I sold it to a guy I knew for $50 bucks; $200 for the stereo and -$150 for the car.

A couple weeks after I sold it, I was driving down the beltline in my new (used) '84 CRX. Suddenly I smelled burning oil. "**CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**", I thought, "I just bought this car and it already smells like my Lynx". About a half a mile ahead of me, there was a lone car on the road. "Maybe it's the car ahead of me". I speeded to catch up to the car ahead of me to check it out. Through the blue smoke, I recognized my beloved Lynx. After I funished laughing, I pulled the new owner over, and bought him a few beers.

I learned how to drive stick, and many other things, in that car.

'68 Firebird Convertable. 400, 2 barrel, 2 speed automatic trans, factory 8 track. My sister totaled it the week after I turned 16 in 1980...I still haven't forgiven her.

ummmm.....yeah....

....1977 Ford Pinto....silver.

My best friend had an orange Chevy Vega.

I had to work for a couple of years to get outta the Pinto...though it was a great first car. A serious trade up to a 79' Trans Am when I was 18.

W

86 sh*t brown Toyota Corolla. Was great until she threw a rod. When you're 16 you don't pay attention to the Oil light.....woops!

1977 Chevy Vega, had 'er two weeks, lost a stare-down contest with a deer...deer actually got up and walked away, swear I heard him laughing.

Latest resources

Back