• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

You stay classy Linden Hillman

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I got the letter from snopes. It is already vetted.

To whom it may concern:

It has come to my attention that we will be merging our seniority lists. Seniority is very important to ALPA pilots. We have a long proud history of giving away scope which leads to the future unemployment of our junior members. Talk to our friends at Delta, that was a doozy.

I would also like to point out ALPAs need for a long drawn out negotiation. Over here at the office we really can't stand the idea of grinding out multiple four day trips. ALPA national also calls on a daily bases making sure they get at least another year or two of dues. In this regard everything from the process agreement to the arbitrator will require "extra" legal review. Talk to our friends at ASA. A five year time frame is what we use for a greivance.

I must now write an inflammatory paragraph with the full intent of pissing you off and stalling talks. First van de ven. The Dutch are known for smoking pot and folding in the world cup. We plan on you doing both in our negotiation. SWAPA prepare to meet the full power of ALPA! You have seen what we have done for Eastern, United, USAir, Delta, and the regionals. Prepare for scorched earth! Gerry we hope to prove that 1.4 billion is way too much.

Remember when you see a bag tag that says "My MEC speaks for me!" or "We are ALPA". They are me. I am ALPA.

Sincerely,
Linden

That's awesome. Well played.

I don't think that's the actual letter ;)

I heard he was upset that Gary came out publically and terminated the Codeshare of Skywest...aren't they an ALPA carrier (not) as well! ;)

Later,
KBB

The person who registered the screen name may not, but "Baghdad Bob" obviously does . . . and she's obviously a pretty junior FO. :laugh:

Too bad you'll never even be on the SWA list. That's what I'm hearing, and no I don't work there but it's as plain as day when on the outside looking in.

So just to clarify, you'll probably never be SWA from the looks of it. Nice going.

Here's the latest from our end:

Executive Blog - May 18, 2011
From your president, Steve Chase
Today our Negotiating Committee and the AirTran Merger Committee met for the third time to discuss the seniority list integration (SLI). As mentioned in last week’s Executive Blog, the two teams met last Thursday and discussed the process going forward, then ultimately exchanged their respective openers. At the meeting last week was our NC and their MC, Southwest Leadership, AirTran VP of Operations, Klaus Goersch and AirTran MEC Chairman, Linden Hillman.
Considering the negotiating environment and both teams’ commitment to confidentiality at this time during the process, there is little that can be shared regarding positions or proposals. One notable from the meetings thusfar is the fact that Southwest Leadership and more importantly, Mike Van de Ven, has expressed the importance that the Southwest Culture is preserved as a result of the acquisition. Southwest Airlines and SWAPA have asserted the value of our culture and that a protracted process is cumbersome as well as taxing on everyone involved. The ultimate goal is to negotiate a fair and equitable deal that enhances everyone’s career potential and that no SWAPA pilots, collectively or individually, are harmed.
SWAPA believes in the process agreed-to by both parties and is confident that a deal outside of the arbitration process can be reached. Your Association is prepared and has every resource to see this through its entirety; however, it is the shared view of Southwest Airlines and SWAPA that every attempt should be made to realize a negotiated list that serves the interests of both groups, and eventually one group.
To date, the mood surrounding the meetings can be characterized as hospitable, yet candid and open. SWAPA recognizes the anticipation such events bring and is thankful for the support of its pilots and that of the Company.
In Dallas today, Southwest Airlines held their annual shareholders meeting. Afterward, Gary Kelly made the announcement that Southwest is terminating the codeshare agreement with Skywest Airlines. In addition to this announcement, Gary also stated that Southwest is performing well considering the fuel environment and that the last ten years was a “lost decade.” Fuel costs have “increased five-fold” in recent years which have added to industry volatility. Amid the economic crisis that plagued much of the last many years, Southwest managed to increase its cities served and not furlough or request a single giveback from Southwest employees – all without bag and change fees. AirTran was noted to be the top priority for the Company going forward and Gary added; “Until SOC, operations must remain separate.” Later, Gary added; “We see enormous opportunities to stem their operating loss and to boost AirTran’s performance. This will create better job security and pay for AirTran employees.”
Those are the highlights and as things develop, we’ll keep you informed of the process and alert you if things change.
On a final note, after last week's blog mentioning our request for donations for "Herb's van" we received roughly 50 new contributions averaging $40 per donation. Thank you if you've already donated and please encourage others to do so to meet our goal so that we can purchase this van in Herb's honor for the Ronald McDonald House of Dallas.
Steve

Latest resources

Back