• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

You stay classy Linden Hillman

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Lear, I doubt anyone will be posting a copy of the letter on this site. Hillman apparently sent it to our mgmt, and cc'ed it to your mgmt and Herndon.
I haven't heard any details about it from a credible source, so until I do, it's just one guy's post. It could be true, it could be partially true, or it could be complete fabrication. Reserving judgment until I get details one way or another. My blood pressure stays lower that way. ;)

A friend of mine was in recurrent yesterday and when Flight Ops mgmt came in to speak, the word was that Mike VdV had to be unscrewed from the ceiling.
So the letter went to GK or MV? If the story has made its way all the way to recurrent, then it's something that had to have happened several weeks to a month or more back. Stories like that take a while to filter into recurrent classes.

They also mentioned something about several ATN pilots whining to Mike and Gary at the bash in ATL on DOCC. Way to prove y'all are the reasonalbe ones!
Whining about what? This is the 2nd time I've heard that vaguely referenced, yet no one has provided details about what was allegedly "whined" about. If it was something to do with quickly replacing some of our senior management and especially our Crew Planning / Scheduling senior managers, that wouldn't surprise me. They're pretty universally disliked here. I haven't been able to drop a trip in months, there are 2 reserve 737's F/O's available on any given day in MCO, and no one picks up straight time trips off the trade board, so you can't manipulate your schedule in any way, shape, or form right now (except to pick up a bigger trip that overlies the same days), and that will make people pretty irritated. I've mentioned it before, we're pretty dramatically understaffed compared to how you guys operate; they're going to have to hire at least 300-400 just to staff us properly for your daily block hours per aircraft.

Oh well, its probably not a big deal to piss off the Chief Operating Officer before SLI talks even begin. No, I'm sure that was well played on ALPA's part!
Again, until I see either a copy of the letter or a union source quoting specifics of the letter, I'm not going to get too upset. Stories have a way of getting blown out of proportion... Might be the case here, might not, but I'm not getting spooled up over it.

Understaffed at AAI?? Not what we are hearing...SWA operates with 11 pilots/plane and AAI has a higher ratio due to hub and spoke ops...is this not true?? Sorry for thread diversion...

A "public" reaction by GK and MVD to a letter from the ALPA MEC could be a negotiating tactic...these guys are pros, expecially at negotiations...

Yep everything SWA says is pure positioning. DOn't believe any of it. Keep your eye on the ball- seniority. Until everything is personally delivered to Lear, it didn't happen. Remember that. HE is the alter-ego of AAI. SWAPA and SWA are in cahoots here. AAI is in charge. Don't ever let SWA forget that. AAI has ALPA and the law on their side. Nothing can take that away.

Yep everything SWA says is pure positioning. DOn't believe any of it. Keep your eye on the ball- seniority. Until everything is personally delivered to Lear, it didn't happen. Remember that. HE is the alter-ego of AAI. SWAPA and SWA are in cahoots here. AAI is in charge. Don't ever let SWA forget that. AAI has ALPA and the law on their side. Nothing can take that away.
So if I come on here saying MV gave ALPA a letter stating Southwest was going to start paying AAI pilots SWA rates effective June 1st, you'd just take it at face value, right? You wouldn't want any proof of that before you buy off on it? Right. Gotcha.

New FI tool of the month. I just *LUV* the people who create new screen names on FI so they can say whatever they want anonymously. I have a feeling Bob won't be feeling so lonely on my ignore list before too long with this guy...

Understaffed at AAI?? Not what we are hearing...SWA operates with 11 pilots/plane and AAI has a higher ratio due to hub and spoke ops...is this not true?? Sorry for thread diversion...
Airlines don't staff by "pilots per aircraft". That's an easy number that pilots can track but crew staffing is driven by "Pilots per block hour". Our airplanes don't fly as much as yours on a daily block hour basis. When we're already staffed so tight no one can drop a day anywhere,,, well,,, even our own people admit that understaffing is cheaper than the occasional "canceled for lack of crew". You start adding block hours to get our aircraft utilization up to where yours is at SWA and,,, well, it's a simple numbers game.

A "public" reaction by GK and MVD to a letter from the ALPA MEC could be a negotiating tactic...these guys are pros, expecially at negotiations...
That very well could be, and I for certain don't doubt their negotiating skills. I'm not saying it didn't happen, but a random rumor on FI, until substantiated, is just rumor. No agenda, just wanting verification from a credible source.

Ya'll fly safe out there! :)

Lear,

I don't follow you, if SWA uses less pilots/plane than AAI, after SOC, we will be understaffed? SWA ops, as you know is point-to-point, I believe that is why we need fewer pilots/plane than hub/spoke operations...do you not envision former AAI aircraft being used in a more point-to-point type fashion, therey by requiring FEWER pilots? Do not envision layoffs, but we could see some stagnation as the AAI ops are transitioned to SWA ops...again sorry for the thread creep...stay classy ALPA...seems like negotiating posturing to me...

I got the letter from snopes. It is already vetted.

To whom it may concern:

It has come to my attention that we will be merging our seniority lists. Seniority is very important to ALPA pilots. We have a long proud history of giving away scope which leads to the future unemployment of our junior members. Talk to our friends at Delta, that was a doozy.

I would also like to point out ALPAs need for a long drawn out negotiation. Over here at the office we really can't stand the idea of grinding out multiple four day trips. ALPA national also calls on a daily bases making sure they get at least another year or two of dues. In this regard everything from the process agreement to the arbitrator will require "extra" legal review. Talk to our friends at ASA. A five year time frame is what we use for a greivance.

I must now write an inflammatory paragraph with the full intent of pissing you off and stalling talks. First van de ven. The Dutch are known for smoking pot and folding in the world cup. We plan on you doing both in our negotiation. SWAPA prepare to meet the full power of ALPA! You have seen what we have done for Eastern, United, USAir, Delta, and the regionals. Prepare for scorched earth! Gerry we hope to prove that 1.4 billion is way too much.

Remember when you see a bag tag that says "My MEC speaks for me!" or "We are ALPA". They are me. I am ALPA.

Sincerely,
Linden

Latest resources

Back