• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

You Have The Right To Remain Silent

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't remember how many years ago but DHL filmed a commercial at KOPF and launched an advertising campaign to really make an impact on the domestic US market where they traditionally had been very weak. The painting everthing in sight bright yellow was part of that. The concept of the ad was that everywhere this FEDEX employee went on vacation, he saw the big yellow DHL.
The problem was that this was an ad and the reality was they were making little progress. Coupled with the slowdown in the economy, they have given up the business. Handling their air traffic to UPS is not because they can do it better or more efficently, it is because they have decided to concede the US market. They are forced to keep some precense because their European and Asian customers want to ship to the US.
For those of us who remember when Airborne started at Wilmington, it is a sad day. Nevertheless if businesses never failed, the survivors would not get stronger.
The Justice Department cannot make someone stay in business.

If a deal has antitrust issues, are they allowed to pass anyway? This guy says he sees some antitrust issues, but expects the deal to go through anyway because of the size of the deal. Sooooo.....I'm confused as what antitrust is allowed to pass vs. antitrust that is not allowed to pass. Does someone here know how this works? :confused:

Although he said there are some anti-trust issues involved in the planned air deal between freight industry competitors UPS and DHL, “Experts say it will not really be an issue given the small market share of DHL in the U.S. This should not be an issue.”

http://www.wnewsj.com/main.asp?SectionID=49&SubSectionID=156&ArticleID=166726

Last edited:
I don't remember how many years ago but DHL filmed a commercial at KOPF and launched an advertising campaign to really make an impact on the domestic US market where they traditionally had been very weak. The painting everthing in sight bright yellow was part of that. The concept of the ad was that everywhere this FEDEX employee went on vacation, he saw the big yellow DHL.
The problem was that this was an ad and the reality was they were making little progress. Coupled with the slowdown in the economy, they have given up the business. Handling their air traffic to UPS is not because they can do it better or more efficently, it is because they have decided to concede the US market. They are forced to keep some precense because their European and Asian customers want to ship to the US.
For those of us who remember when Airborne started at Wilmington, it is a sad day. Nevertheless if businesses never failed, the survivors would not get stronger.
The Justice Department cannot make someone stay in business.

The problem with that is if they only want to handle Intl. customers by using UPS, they will fail globally. The US is the largest express market in the world, and a few articles out there point out that half of all international freight comes through the US either by being the point of origin, destination or just coming through. That is why I think either DHL is setting themselves up for complete global failure or something bigger is in the works. IMO

EDIT: Let me preface that with UPS is growing their international market. And then I would ask if you were a business owner using DHL and a UPS sales team came to your desk....who would you use to make sure your customers were taken care of? The brown one that will pick up handle and deliver your product, or the yellow one that will pick it up, give it the brown one for sort and transport then they give it to the blue and white one that should deliver it to your customer? Track that....hmmmm....track what?

Last edited:
Deutsche Post May Face U.S. Antitrust Probe on DHL, Welt Says
By Nicholas Comfort, Bloomberg News, Tuesday June 10, 2008

June 10 (Bloomberg) -- The U.S. Justice Department may investigate whether Deutsche Post AG's plan for United Parcel Service Inc. to take over air shipments for its unprofitable DHL unit conflicts with antitrust laws, Die Welt said, without saying where it got the information. Ohio officials asked the Justice Department to begin an inquiry and thereby halt the closure of DHL's Wilmington, Ohio, freight airport, the German newspaper reported. Attorney General Michael Mukasey will probe allegations that a deal between UPS and the Deutsche Post unit would violate earlier agreements on jobs at the hub, the Berlin-based daily said. The company doesn't expect any antitrust concerns from U.S. authorities, Silje Skogstad, a spokeswoman for Bonn-based Deutsche Post, said when contacted by Bloomberg News today.

As expected the Ohio officials have played only card in their hand. I'm sure this was expected by DHL and UPS lawyers who have already thought through all the possible scenarios and obviously gave the green light to management. This is just a necessary hoop that must be jumped through prior to the deal being implemented.

As expected the Ohio officials have played only card in their hand. I'm sure this was expected by DHL and UPS lawyers who have already thought through all the possible scenarios and obviously gave the green light to management. This is just a necessary hoop that must be jumped through prior to the deal being implemented.

And they're always right. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
UPS' lawyers are most of the time. I have no idea how good DHL's are. UPS has one of the largest corporate lobbies on Capitol Hill. If UPS wants this deal to go through, UPS will make sure that it does.

And our politicians think differently and a whole community hopes it will rest another way. Whether it does or not is purely speculation at this time, while I will admit it does not look good for Ohio. Your smugness has been noted and maybe you should just crawl back to where you came from. You will get your freight one way or another. Either by DHL paying you to take it or customers dumping them to use your service. In the mean time the 10,000 in SW Ohio would rather you just gloat alone. It makes you look like an arse.

BTTB,

Well, that may be the case, but prepare for the whirlwind of litigation. The first announcement of negotiations between DP and UPS was in August, then went away. Then, mysteriously re-appeared about a month after our contract was signed. One where DHL gave us certain carrots for us to drop our scope suits. Scope suits that will not be brought BACK on the table, and that were most likely being eyed by Big Brown as a deal breaker. So, in summary, if it can be proven that DP/DHL and UPS colluded to fraudulently manipulate the CBA bargaining of AStar pilots,......se yall in court! It's far from over my friend. You ought to be able to here my class action suit attorney crankin up the generator as we speak, and it's got a Hemi!!

Latest resources

Back