• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

You Have The Right To Remain Silent

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What kind of announcement was that? We never heard anything whatsoever, instead I read in some business paper (Washington Post maybe?) that early on DHL had excluded UPS from the talks and focused on Fedex... Everyone here was taken by surprise which is why I'm surprised again now that you mention this "early announcement." Do you have any links to that early announcement?

Either way, personally I too think UPS will get what they want and that even though the litigation might costs DHL some money it’ll mean peanuts to them... I doubt UPS worries about those extra costs DHL might have to absorb, if anything it’ll help them to compete with DHL further down the road.

Personally, I'm very torn over this deal - obviously I don’t want our brothers and sisters at ABX and Astar to be losing their jobs... At the same time it's always good to see people getting hired at your own airline...

My biggest concern though is that this deal might be our Pandora's box in the future... One day we might be flying DHL stuff in the US while DHL flies ours in Europe and Air Hong Kong/Yangtze River are flying UPS and DHL stuff in Asia. Meanwhile Silk Air and Air China fly the stuff between Europe, Asia and Americas... Little paranoid maybe but some caution here might be our best approach…

Disclaimer - no I am not having a dialog with myself... ;)

AV8OR = Yellow (with an 'Oh)
AV80R = Big Brown (with a zero)

The disclaimer thing is hillarious dude!!! LOL!!

Here's your link.....

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601100&sid=aPO_dA0F3SWY&refer=germany

It's listed on the DPWN website.

For the record, will I win, who knows, but you can dang sure bet I'm going down swinging! And I'm not waiting on the work of J.Daz, UPS, DHL, DPWN, or ALPA to include any measure of justice for us.

I'm glad you cleared this up because I myself had to do a double-take!!! :D
Yeah I knew people could easily get confused... After all, I've recieved my share of hate mail (or is it hate PM?) meant for av8or and I'm sure he/she's received some love letters meant for me... ;)

AV8OR - The disclaimer thing is hillarious dude!!! LOL!!

Well, didn't want folks to think that you and I are the same person with multiple personalities... :laugh:

Thanks for the link. However, it appears to me that those were two different transactions? One was for UPS to buy a share of DHL which thankfully to both companies didn't happen.

The other was subcontracting out DHL flying in the US to a single airline and for whatever reason they chose UPS.

I personally hope that UPS and DHL never merge... For those of you who think Big Brown likes to be in control - you ain't seen nothin' yet - wait 'til you see the German style of management...

Me thinks that the legal issues you are bringing up now will not be any kind of factor.
DHL was never a big factor in the US and an actual courier service was the business they dominated in Europe. By the time Fedex and UPS gained their foothold in the rest of the world, DHL had already lost their shot at the US market. While Fedex made that global leap with the purchase of Tigers, they actually had to learn how to carry freight. DHL never reallly wanted to go in that direction but was forced too.
The only legal issue will be commitments made to Ohio or others for jobs that had compensation attached to them.

Me thinks that the legal issues you are bringing up now will not be any kind of factor.
DHL was never a big factor in the US and an actual courier service was the business they dominated in Europe. By the time Fedex and UPS gained their foothold in the rest of the world, DHL had already lost their shot at the US market. While Fedex made that global leap with the purchase of Tigers, they actually had to learn how to carry freight. DHL never reallly wanted to go in that direction but was forced too.
The only legal issue will be commitments made to Ohio or others for jobs that had compensation attached to them.

Well, there's a thing called fraudulent negotiations as well, but we'll see. That's my final word on that subject till docs are filed.

Thanks for the link. However, it appears to me that those were two different transactions? One was for UPS to buy a share of DHL which thankfully to both companies didn't happen.

I realize that what was reported in the press in Aug 07 was a selling of deomestic lift to UPS, but noone really knows what was in discussion and Mullen/Allan has stated that they have been working on this for months (makes sense since these things don't happen over night). Ought to be interesting to see what UPS opinion was of our scope litigation and what they told DP needed to happen to it for them to agree to the deal. Maybe something, maybe nothing. We'll see.

Well, there's a thing called fraudulent negotiations as well, but we'll see. That's my final word on that subject till docs are filed.

I realize that what was reported in the press in Aug 07 was a selling of deomestic lift to UPS, but noone really knows what was in discussion and Mullen/Allan has stated that they have been working on this for months (makes sense since these things don't happen over night). Ought to be interesting to see what UPS opinion was of our scope litigation and what they told DP needed to happen to it for them to agree to the deal. Maybe something, maybe nothing. We'll see.

Right after UPS purchased Menlo, a group of former Emery pilots sent a letter to the IPA threatening a lawsuit unless they were hired by UPS and integrated by DOH. Obviously nothing happened.

Right after UPS purchased Menlo, a group of former Emery pilots sent a letter to the IPA threatening a lawsuit unless they were hired by UPS and integrated by DOH. Obviously nothing happened.

Obviously, you are a flame baiter of the highest order of magnitude. We are doing nothing toward trying to be integrated with UPS. We aren't interested in that. You think far too small, my little brown friend.

Latest resources

Back