Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

8vATE

Cruel, Nice, Whatever
Here's how it breaks down for those who want to see the yearly picture..

JetBlue
Year 1 EMB190 Captain $78,488/yr
Year 3 EMB 190 Captain $82,063/yr

Year 5 A320 Captain $133,966/yr

Year 1 EMB F/O $41,181/yr

thats an 85 hour month

That year one F/O will make more than I did at year one USAirways ($36,000)

With over 300 airplanes theoretically coming... the left seat will come quick...
Yes... its not what we're all use to for a 100 seater... but that was yesterday...

Hopefully a yearly end of approx 10% profitsharing and the stock purchase plan will bump up your final year end earnings.... but we all know thats not a sure thing....

I was waiting for somebody to put the spin on it.

I was also waiting for the "that was yesterday speech". We have all made to much money in the past and this is reality!!!

Congrats, you just made it that much harder for NWA to keep their DC-9 rates.

Hell, looking at the pay at AirTran, and some of the others, including SWA, it will be hard to get anything else than what you guys decide is an acceptable wage.

Glad to know you will make captain shortly, and that will ease some of the inital
pay pain.

AA:(

<<JetBlue

thats an 85 hour month>>

Thanks for doing the math..I wanted to throw a couple more facts in the mix so that prospective pilots can evaluate their real earning potential. The first 6 weeks at JetBlue you are on training pay of $2500/month. You then do an average of 6weeks reserve which pays 75 hours a month
( I have talked to two pilots out of dozens who flew more than this on FO reserve. The lines have been built to about 81 hours a month after that (higher in the summer- lower in the winter). You can fly more but that is not the average built line value.
Assuming these numbers you would make (Flight Pay only),

Year 1 EMB190 Captain $67017

Year 1 EMB F/O $36945.

As far as new hires getting left seat, that remains to be seen, but as
A-320 captain seat is looking more like 30 months+ for pilots getting hired today, I would think there will be many pilots who opt for the left seat in the E-190 while they wait.

In the interest of fair comparisons, hourly rate removes most of the spin. Pilots can decide how many hours they want to fly - in my opinion the hourly rate makes a fair comparator.

Here are the rates for the first 5 years on the E-190, up to 70 hours.
Above that it is time and a half. For a 81 hour month, the time and a half equates to a 6.6% higher hourly rate. For a 85 hour month it equates to a 8.2% higher hourly rate.

CAFO5$77.24 $46.024$75.56 $43.853$73.93 $41.602$72.32 $39.951$70.71 $37.10

user_online.gif

AAflyer said:

I was also waiting for the "that was yesterday speech". We have all made to much money in the past and this is reality!!!

Hell, looking at the pay at AirTran, and some of the others, including SWA, it will be hard to get anything else than what you guys decide is an acceptable wage.

Glad to know you will make captain shortly, and that will ease some of the inital
pay pain.

There's only a little spin there...
From my personal experience....

Its just more info for those who want to know...
A lot of people are not aware of the premium pay issue...

I would have been happy to have been in this industry 20 years earlier...

20 years ago!!

Captains were GODS, they ate lobster and steak and earned a monthly paycheck that could buy them a new cadillac.;)

I would like to go back as well.

AA

8vATE said:
Here's how it breaks down for those who want to see the yearly picture..

JetBlue

thats an 85 hour month

That year one F/O will make more than I did at year one USAirways ($36,000)

With over 300 airplanes theoretically coming... the left seat will come quick...
Yes... its not what we're all use to for a 100 seater... but that was yesterday...

Hopefully a yearly end of approx 10% profitsharing and the stock purchase plan will bump up your final year end earnings.... but we all know thats not a sure thing....

SO HOW MUCH WOULD YOU TAKE HOME ROUGHLY A YEAR. (AN ESTIMATE)

Is the ratio of JetBlue E190 wages to NW DC-9 wages any worse than that of JetBlue A320 to NW A320 wages?

Surprising as it may seem but the primary motivation of most JetBlue pilots does not appear to be to maintain the lifestyles of NW pilots.

AAflyer said:

pay pain.

Yet Jet Blue wouldn't have the rates they do now if it weren't for carriers like NWA having the pay they do/did.

It was NWA and the other legacies motivation in maintaing a pay standard. You must look at the past to see the present.

Vc10,

It has nothing to do with emulating NWA pay, it has to do with how low can we
all bring down wages. This hurt and hurt big time. It is the new bar for the 100 seater.

Why is this the only profession we have to defend our pay.

Why is it from a glass of milk, to a car, to a pair jeans cost more now than it did in the 80s, why is almost everything around us more expensive except airline tickets. Why is that we as employees have subsidize the only thing that has not gone up with inflation.

Let inflation keep climbing and see our wages as a prfoession stay where there at, then see what we can buy and where we can live in 20 years.

Oppps, I am sorry. Who gives a sh!t, this captilism right? Free market, yada yada yada. Glad that the attorneys, doctors and CEOS are not selling each other out.

But what do I know..... I am just a STUPID pilot who is OVERPAID that flys for a LEGACY airline.:rolleyes:

AA

Bayou,

That is a cop out. I am tired of pilot pay being the reason for every airlines problems, that is starting to sound pretty pathetic, I didn't expect it from another aviator.

Please tell me you are not impressed by these wages. I don't want to know whose fault it is, I want to know if you are happy with this wages?

AA

Latest resources

Back