• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Yearly Rates... jBlu EMB190

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What good is a union going to be. Look at the turmoil with NPA and the infighting. How are you going to negotiate a contract when you are at each others throats. No flame, just the truth and of course AirTran mgt just tells you to grieve it.

career choices

I wonder how many guys at stable RJ carriers, such as Comair, Skywest, etc, are looking at just stay as senior RJ captain, flying brand new jet equipment, and being the senior guy, good days off, etc etc, won't ever make 250K a year but is that even possible today

I can't imagine these guys will do this for long....either the pay OR the retirement (and maybe both) will come up to industry average or there will be a union. My guess is the smart cookies in Mgmt at JBLU will realize that this is low after they hear the grumbling and rethink this and/or up it soon...they don't want a union setting up shop already and those stock options aren't looking too good right now for a lot of people. They're on their honeymoon right now, but it won't last forever if they pull this stuff...this is well below SWA and SWA has a 7.3% matching 401K (compared to JBLU's 3%). The management types at JBLU are looking at what a brand new off-the-street captain will make his 1st 2 years on the 190...the initial guys will be captains to save training costs and involve a seat lock of 2 years...this lower pay scale and seat lock will keep a lot of A320 guys riding it out on the bus til they upgrade. For a new guy...this is actually more than what he would have made going to the right seat of the 320 for 30 months. I think that's how mgmt looked at it, but they didn't foresee how the pilots would look at it and the mistrust it might breed. There's a reason they're the only ones without a union in the business....and it's based on trust...if they feel like they're losing that trust, they'll cough up the dough quick to stave off a union.

Jet Blue's management is basically signaling to the pilot group: hey, maybe you should consider bringing unionization to Jet Blue! What a joke! The pilots can't do squat now... Do they want to attract "better than average" pilots or would they like to see all of them go to SWA and AirTran? The debate as to whether pilots should pick Jet Blue or SWA will now be pretty easy - nobody wants to start off at sub-regional rates...

Meanwhile, everyone is castigating DAL pilots who actually want to maintain their industry-leading wages (keep the bar high for others to benchmark). What's this industry coming to? Say bye bye to our decent-paying profession - pretty soon the city bus drivers will be making more than pilots...

Jet Blue's Management has done the same thing ours at ATA did:

They are betting on the natural propensity of pilots to not give a **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** about anyone underneath them on the seniority list.

Jet Blue pilots have stated that the rates don't affect them currently as most if not all current pilots will be in the left seat of the Airbus.

Only new-hires will have to suffer those rates.

We did the same thing here with our recent concessions and introduction of a 100 seat payscale. Although at the time I thought we had set the lowest standard for such a rate in the major airline industry.

It will only be years down the road that any negative momentum resulting in unionization will have a chance to take hold at Jet Blue after the newness of the job wears off...and the reality of the long-term payrates takes hold.

Why dont we wait and see when they actually start operating the EMB and then will see if that rate still holds

If the new hires go to the EMB-190 at the JFK base (?)---at those pay rates in the first year and second year as FO--they will have to rent a small room in a beat up house in Yonkers----and their landlord will be a J-Lo look-a-like who has a bigger butt and MORE ATTITUDE. She will constantly be asking them, "Yo, honey, I will kiss you all over if you can get me a free pass to Puerto Rico on your Fancy TV planes....., and give me some of those blue chips and I will make you blue all over...." I bet guys will be lining up for that!

Bye Bye--General Lee

General Lee said:
If the new hires go to the EMB-190 at the JFK base (?)---at those pay rates in the first year and second year as FO--they will have to rent a small room in a beat up house in Yonkers----and their landlord will be a J-Lo look-a-like who has a bigger butt and MORE ATTITUDE. She will constantly be asking them, "Yo, honey, I will kiss you all over if you can get me a free pass to Puerto Rico on your Fancy TV planes....., and give me some of those blue chips and I will make you blue all over...." I bet guys will be lining up for that!

Bye Bye--General Lee
Funny!

ATA73Pilot said:
It will only be years down the road that any negative momentum resulting in unionization will have a chance to take hold at Jet Blue after the newness of the job wears off...and the reality of the long-term payrates takes hold.
Problem is those who try and start an organizational campaign most likely will not have their 5 year contracts "renewed".

General Lee said:

Bye Bye--General Lee
Now that's funny! Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha... That would be every newhire's nightmare! Another reason to focus on Fedex, UPS, SWA, Frontier, AirTran, Alaska, AWA and Spirit....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back