• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

XOJet Update

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No, I was trying to get some more detailed info about this company out to this board. If I was at VA, Skybus, FLOPS or _________, I would consider going to XOJet. From the little that we know about them, it sounds like a good option.

I agree with this point. I believe Netjets has the best offer out there for fractionals, but XOJet seems to be a pretty good alternative to Netjets (still my #1 choice after the new TA). With its growth and strong financial backing (private equity firms and very wealthy Silicon Valley types), XOJet could be a good choice if you get in early (right now).

t-bone,

So "performance" is simply a matter of what the other guy thinks of you? Mgmt/Admin has no effect on this "performance" criterion. What's the whole story?

Also from reading your web site, I would suspect that there are many early call/ floating rest problems. Am I correct?

For the most part, upgrades are based on feedback from the other captains. Guys are also NOT upgraded as a direct result of their evaluations. I've said it over and over, your attitude and personality will get you further here than your flying skills will. We can work with your flying skills if you've got a good attitude.

Yes, you're right. Rolling rest (no defined duty/rest periods) has been and will undoubtedly continue to be a problem until we get a better policy. But, I know from first hand experience that if I am too tired to do a trip, then no further questions are asked. We also have written into our GOM that after 2 consecutive 12+hour duty days we are entitled to an extended period of rest.

We also have a Risk Assessment card that we go through, and if our score puts us into the High category, Chief Pilot or Director of Ops release is required, and chances are good the trip will just be canceled. Repo legs back to base don't happen if they will put the crew over 14 hours.

Repo legs back to base don't happen if they will put the crew over 14 hours.

It sounds like you repo the plane back to base at the end of your week, is that true? or do you guys park the plane at your last airport and airline home?

I always heard that you guys dont do many repo flights, but this is conflicting.

I've said it over and over, your attitude and personality will get you further here than your flying skills will. We can work with your flying skills if you've got a good attitude.
Q: What's the difference between an ass-kisser and a brown-noser?

A: Depth perception.

:D

It sounds like you repo the plane back to base at the end of your week, is that true? or do you guys park the plane at your last airport and airline home?

I always heard that you guys dont do many repo flights, but this is conflicting.

We try to keep empty legs to a minimum, but as anyone that has flown the 10 knows, those airplanes require lots of TLC from our mechanics. If the plane is in SFO and is running good, they'll leave it there. If it has some mx issues, they'll bring it home to MCC. But if that leg back to MCC will put the crew over 14 hours, then they'll leave the plane in SFO and figure something else out. Either mx will drive to SFO, or the crew will fly to MCC the next day. If mx really needs the plane back in MCC ASAP, we'll send a check airman down with someone who needs a 299 and they'll fly the plane home, killing 2 birds with one stone. Same goes for planes in TEB and our ILG base. Quite often our ILG based mechanics will drive up to TEB and work on the planes at night while the crew is in rest if the crew was unable to repo to ILG without going over 14 hours of duty.

On a side note, our mechanics have 14-hour duty limits too.

As for transitions, it really all depends on where the airplanes are. Several crews start or stop their transition in one of our bases, but not necessarily the base where they live. If the transition takes place away from a base, Crew Resources does their best to predict where the plane will sit long enough to swap crews, but even the best laid plans don't always work out when the pax change their itinerary last minute. Then we just respond and recover as best as possible. We do airline a lot, no getting around that. But we've got 2 managed king airs that the company uses to shuttle crews to/from our VNY base from MCC. Fill that king air 350 with 8 pilots down and 8 coming back, saving the need to buy 16 airline tickets, and the cost difference is negligible. That also helps to preserve some of our duty day, not spending it standing in line at the security check points!

Q: What's the difference between an ass-kisser and a brown-noser?

A: Depth perception.

:D

Nice!!!
icon12.gif

What is the interview like? Do you pay your own way to it? Do you normally work more than 8 days (day before or after). So far sounds like a great company!

Interviews are a 2-day process. The company covers all expenses, from flying you to Sacramento, rental car and hotel, and meals.

Day 1: travel to Sacramento, meet with all the candidates and several XOJet employees for dinner at BJ's Pizzeria in Roseville. Dinner is paid for by XOJet. This is just a meet n greet, very casual, bring your beer mug.

Day 2: meet at our MCC hanger around 0900. Tour of the facility, then break off into 4-5 different interview groups, each group consisting of 1 candidate and 2 XOJet employees. You'll meet with pilots, mechanics, HR, DO, Chief Pilot and who ever else wants to participate. Each mini-interview should last 20-30 minutes. There currently is no written aptitude test. You should hear the results within just a couple of days. Day 2 is usually done by 2-3 pm, so you should be able to get home that night.

As for working beyond your regularly assigned days, it does happen occasionally but it's not forced on you. Sometimes its easier to just work the extra day and fly yourself home rather than airline across the country. We get paid 1.5 x our day rate for any extended days. That works out to $650/day right now for the PICs. That'll go up Jan 1 when our new payscale takes effect.

Latest resources

Back