• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

XJT to fly UAL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That is why ASA was doing the Skywest flying out of LAX. One company. I think that is what you are overlooking. Company memo stated that SKYW would not fly the LAX flying for the slim profit margin, and XJT was doing it to get their planes in the air. If you want some secret company documents faxed to you for your proof, I can't produce them.

As someone else said...What does a pilot care what their company is getting paid? The only thing we should care about is what WE are getting paid.

It's bad when lower paid pilots get more flying...overall it creates a downward pressure for wages. In this case XJT pilots were making more than ASA pilots. XJT pilots weren't "undercutting" anyone.

I swear I think on these boards people focus on how much their company makes yet fail to notice how much they themselves make. "WE MADE $22 MILLION!!!!" yet this guy makes less than the other guy so who really cares?

Dude...are you really that thick???? SKYW bids for ASA flying. i.e..... Same company. I guess for you I should have said that Skywest Inc chose not to bid for flying for either of their subsidiaries to do LAX flying for less than an acceptable profit margin. The reason ASA was there was indeed because Skywest Airlines could not do the flying. ASA did the flying until SKYW was forced to bid against other airlines to keep the flying. How is that talking in circles. The point was that Skywest inc, or any of it's subs, declined to bid as low as XJT did to gain the contract!

To the above guy, I never said anything about pilot pay. The other guy made the comment that XJT got some flying due to their phenomenal performance, reliability, etc. I simply offered up that a low bid to operate on a super low (unsustainable) margin may have had something to do with it.

Good luck to all XJT'ers.

...Funny, SkyWest has no problem operating some CRJ's for Airtran with a yet to be determined profit margin. That flying is "at risk", is it not?...

This is part of a larger plan by Skywest for the future. What's interesting is that this contract is for 3 years which incidently is about the time when Skywest plans on buying the new C-Series. Yup. you read that right. Not announced yet of course. Jerry has been talking about doing branded flying for awhile and he's one of 4 CEOs that talked Bombardier into not cancelling the C-Series project. Gee, why would he do that?

Jerry I've heard say that the days of the codeshare agreements of the past that Skywest and other regionals have been able to make money hand over fist is gone. He feels if Skywest doesn't expand into other areas it'll become extinct eventually. Skywest has been doing alot of at-risk flying for Delta and UAL over the last 2 years but no ones noticed. Looks like Republic and Skywest, Inc will be way ahead of everyone and may the only two left standing.

Dude...are you really that thick???? SKYW bids for ASA flying. i.e..... Same company. I guess for you I should have said that Skywest Inc chose not to bid for flying for either of their subsidiaries to do LAX flying for less than an acceptable profit margin. The reason ASA was there was indeed because Skywest Airlines could not do the flying. ASA did the flying until SKYW was forced to bid against other airlines to keep the flying. How is that talking in circles. The point was that Skywest inc, or any of it's subs, declined to bid as low as XJT did to gain the contract!

Sorry, but you were talking in circles. You didn't acknowledge the UAL stipulation on SkyWest till it was brought up, anyyyyyywayyyyyy....

To the above guy, I never said anything about pilot pay. The other guy made the comment that XJT got some flying due to their phenomenal performance, reliability, etc.

We already covered it. DAL wanted a carrier that was 1) Cheaper, 2) Had airframes readily available, and 3) Had better performance numbers. That's not a slam on the fine folks at ASA, nor bravado about XJT. But when numbers are put out, take a look at many of ASA's, often times they are not at the top, but neither is XJT. And YES, I KNOW that much of that has to deal with the overall charlie foxtrot that is ATL. But if an operation can't be run out of the west coast with decent numbers, what's the problem? And I'd hardly put the XR up against the other plane I've flown, but it has the benefit of being designed after the CRJ series, and by default was designed to be a more operationally flexible plane. What kind of payload could the ASA CRJ's take out of places like CUL, RNO, ZCL, ect? Could you max out payload from those places?

I simply offered up that a low bid to operate on a super low (unsustainable) margin may have had something to do with it.

That's already been covered and not disputed. The ORIGINAL 10 CPA aircraft were on a low profit or break even arrangement. The pro rate that came later was at a severe loss.

Last edited:
This is part of a larger plan by Skywest for the future. What's interesting is that this contract is for 3 years which incidently is about the time when Skywest plans on buying the new C-Series. Yup. you read that right. Not announced yet of course. Jerry has been talking about doing branded flying for awhile and he's one of 4 CEOs that talked Bombardier into not cancelling the C-Series project. Gee, why would he do that?

Jerry I've heard say that the days of the codeshare agreements of the past that Skywest and other regionals have been able to make money hand over fist is gone. He feels if Skywest doesn't expand into other areas it'll become extinct eventually. Skywest has been doing alot of at-risk flying for Delta and UAL over the last 2 years but no ones noticed. Looks like Republic and Skywest, Inc will be way ahead of everyone and may the only two left standing.

Interesting stuff to say the least. Especially using a larger aircraft than a 50 seat fleet type. Because it's been proven TWICE that when fuel goes up, the costs on those are simply too high. The problem with using the larger gage equipment is that it can attract the attention of well oiled machines like SW and JB. As well as the legacies that have huge amounts of cash/capitol on hand that absorb a loss, fuel increase, ect on a new route to squash some LCC competition. This also worked against I-Air and XJT. Attracting the attention of the lcc's and legacies was something that the management at XJT avoided, and governed many of the decisions they made for city pairs, etc.

I would agree with your last statement, those two companies have assets that position them much better than the two previous that tried to do their own branded flying.

Erlanger is very observant. I would agree with everything said here.

Wow, 15 minutes of my life I can't get back. Are people really arguing about which regional's management undercut who? What a bunch of losers.

Latest resources

Back