• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

XJT to fly UAL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
DAL press releases and "Mock12" know what's going on at XJT before XJT people do.

Anything is possible, especially the way flying is being secured now days. But with the cash/financial position that XJT is in right now and the latest "losses" call, it doesn't seem like it would be viable to get into a multi year money losing RFP. It would trigger the BK threshold pretty quick, and that would royally screw up the current CPA with CAL.

But hey, when UAL/CAL merge, it will all be a moot point anyway.

I would have to say they are looking down the road when there contract is up with CO. All there flying is at risk not just 30 aircraft one year 30 the next. I think its all 200+ in one shot. If they can start moving these aircraft around in new contracts, it will help offset that risk.

I would have to say they are looking down the road when there contract is up with CO. All there flying is at risk not just 30 aircraft one year 30 the next. I think its all 200+ in one shot. If they can start moving these aircraft around in new contracts, it will help offset that risk.

Until CAL ALPA drops their scope, no regional will operate a jet with anything more than 50 seats. We may be at risk from other companies under cutting us in 6 years when the current CPA is up. If CAL ALPA still has the scope, then it will only be for 50 seat jets. With that in mind, CAL obviously wants to get 70/90 seat jets on property. Colgan is a prime example of how bad they want bigger regional aircraft. CHQ also seemed to think they would be getting 70 seaters from CAL at some point. Now, with CAL in negotiations with what seems to be a more hard line CAL ALPA, do not be surprised if 70/90 show up on CAL's property being operated where they should be.....that being not at a regional. That could also be a problem for XJT.

Also, we have heard nothing. Rumors are flying all over the place, yet XJT employees remain in the dark. If we get it, then great. If we do not, then it will get ugly. Either way, it is lost flying at UAL and that is not good for anyone who cares about the career. More flying for regionals is not a win for the industry.

Last edited:
The Sad thing is XJT used to be a great place to work and was a very viable company. I guess that whole "we are staying with 50 seaters, this 70/90 seat thing is a fad" didn't work out very well!!! Most of the employees begged the Reamster to go 70/90 seaters back in 2003-04 but the 50 seat is more economical I guess or that is all ops and training knew!!!!

You're a freaking moron who has absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Spend a few seconds to do some research before spewing out garbage. You have any sources to back up your argument?

Until CAL ALPA drops their scope, no regional will operate a jet with anything more than 50 seats. We may be at risk from other companies under cutting us in 6 years when the current CPA is up. If CAL ALPA still has the scope, then it will only be for 50 seat jets. With that in mind, CAL obviously wants to get 70/90 seat jets on property. Colgan is a prime example of how bad they want bigger regional aircraft. CHQ also seemed to think they would be getting 70 seaters from CAL at some point. Now, with CAL in negotiations with what seems to be a more hard line CAL ALPA, do not be surprised if 70/90 show up on CAL's property being operated where they should be.....that being not at a regional. That could also be a problem for XJT.

Also, we have heard nothing. Rumors are flying all over the place, yet XJT employees remain in the dark. If we get it, then great. If we do not, then it will get ugly. Either way, it is lost flying at UAL and that is not good for anyone who cares about the career. More flying for regionals is not a win for the industry.

We will NEVER drop our scope. Sorry junior.

We'll see when CO dangles a big carrot in front of you guys. I along with many others out here that never changes either. Harder to get a mainline job when it all being done by contract carriers. Hold the line... PLEASE!

Well guess what, now there aren't really any CPA's for large quantities of 70 seat aircraft, but if there were, I guarantee we would be bidding on them. Supposedly the United RFP has 70 seat aircraft in it and we have bid on it(as well as the props).

Good point, but to add to it. It's been said by our D.O. PLENTY of times. The number of aircraft has to be over 20 airframes before it even becomes economically viable to take on a new fleet type.

The DAL stuff in LAX was done to keep airplanes flying, I dont think anybody will say anything different. I dont think it was as big of a money loser as people think. 10 airplanes making money on a CPA

The 10 CPA were breaking even.

and 8-10 airplanes either losing money or breaking even on a pro-rate. That whole deal was killed because of our new deal with CAL not because it was a huge money loser that was going to sink the company.

The 13 pro rate were bleeding money like crazy. When you're charging $49.99 for LAX-SFO and LAX-LAS roundtrips, that isn't going to make money.

The problem is, "down the road" is a pretty long way away in this climate. XJT is only about 1 year into a 7 year deal with CAL right now, 6 years left for 190 airframes. Again, with XJT's weak cash position, 6 years is a long time to lose money while waiting for airframes to free up.

Last edited:

Read the last sentence of my post moron. In fact re-read the whole thing. I do not want you to drop your scope. I was only showing others that 70-90 seat flying for a regional under CAL is not very plausible. Wow, way to take something the wrong way.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back