Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

XJT sends planes to Mexico minus pilots!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
justthewife said:
DNKT: No, it's not necessarily the "cheapest bidder" who gets the flying. What about the concept of "diversification" and Continental not wanting all its feed coming from one source?

I didn't realize you worked at XJT based on your profile, so I apologize for obviously offending you by my insinuating you didn't know the differences between the XR and the LR. Mea culpa/prostite.

My point with this post was to simply clarify that the LRs going to Mexico is not a bad thing, and to hopefully balance the "doom and gloom" that is so prevalent.

My question to you, though, is why are you still at XJT if you are so pessimistic about the future?

So what does this souped up RJ really do? Does it have a lower Seat Mile Cost than the regular RJ? Does it generate more revenue? With gas prices climbing the 50 seat airplanes are even more of a liability to the operator or codeshare partner if they pay a cost plus arrangement.

I would suggest you read the cliff notes version of the demise of ACA to see what "opportunities" lie outside of codesharing and the value of a 50 seater in a market.

If you think XJT can just put up a sign and start selling tickets on long thin routes with its deluxe Regional Jet then you are the one in denial. People want connections, FF programs and something you selling seats on a stand alone operation will not provide. Also, you would have to charge so much for a flight on a 50 seater to pay fixed cost your fares would be astronomical.

GuppyKiller said:
I can't wait till CAL caves on scope so I can fly the 170 and hopefully 190 into IAH.

I would suspect you will get poped by the TSA for alcohol well before that happens or maybe failing the pee in a bottle test.

justthewife said:
Dirk--if that is indeed your name---think about it this way. The LRs are not the most competative for securing new contracts for XJT, but XJT still has to pay the leases. So, they find a home for some or most of these LRs, which also pays for their leases and brings in a small profit, which allows the company to exercise options on more XRs, which are more competative, and with which XJT is more likely to secure more outside contracts. That's why losing the airframes is not bad.

I can't believe I have to spell this out for some of you, though... it's all just knee-jerk reaction "the sky is falling" and "the bird flu is going to kill us" around here. :rolleyes:

Maybe you can enlighten us. Who is looking for more 50 seaters. And which company is going to pony up the cash to purchase the airframes to fill the demand. The 50 seat market is washed up. I think you are living on wishful thinking. I wish you guys all the best, but I'm not counting on much.

justthewife said:
Dirk--if that is indeed your name---think about it this way. The LRs are not the most competative for securing new contracts for XJT, but XJT still has to pay the leases. So, they find a home for some or most of these LRs, which also pays for their leases and brings in a small profit, which allows the company to exercise options on more XRs, which are more competative, and with which XJT is more likely to secure more outside contracts. That's why losing the airframes is not bad.

I can't believe I have to spell this out for some of you, though... it's all just knee-jerk reaction "the sky is falling" and "the bird flu is going to kill us" around here. :rolleyes:

Maybe you can enlighten us. Who is looking for more 50 seaters. And which company is going to pony up the cash to purchase the airframes to fill the demand. The 50 seat market is washed up. I think you are living on wishful thinking. I wish you guys all the best, but I'm not counting on much.

Company has already asked and we have collectively told them to go shove it.

I noticed that you have the EMB-135/145 listed in your aircraft flown category. Now that you are on at the mainline, you feel that nobody under you deserves any of the flying. Did you feel that way when you flew commuters??

This is the attitude that really cracks me up. One day, John Q. Pilot is strutting through the airport terminal in his new pilot uniform all too happy to fly a little jet for about minimum wage because being an "airline pilot" is cool. Then when a major calls, the same person is all too eager to protect the flying from going to the commuter that he so desperately wanted them to get in the not-too-distant past.

Talk about hypocrisy.

DirkkDiggler said:

Well, lets see, Midwest is looking for 50 seaters and Delta just requested bids for them also and I believe Northwest requested a bid also. So the market being washed up- I dont think so, not yet anyway.

I would suggest you read the cliff notes version of the demise of ACA to see what "opportunities" lie outside of codesharing and the value of a 50 seater in a market.

If you think XJT can just put up a sign and start selling tickets on long thin routes with its deluxe Regional Jet then you are the one in denial. People want connections, FF programs and something you selling seats on a stand alone operation will not provide. Also, you would have to charge so much for a flight on a 50 seater to pay fixed cost your fares would be astronomical.

32LT10:
Do you even know anything about the XJT situation? Obviously not, or you wouldn't compare them to ACA. First of all, ACA went it alone 100%. XJT still has 75% of its feed in place with that amount of revenue guaranteed coming in from Continental. So it's not like they are just going to pop up a sign and start selling tickets for their new "airline" like kids sell lemonade on the street, and hope to somehow make enough to cover the expenses. I don't think you will see XJT trying to do things the way you are suggesting.

Seriously. I realize we all have little confidence in management due to past experiences, but before you go off about "the passengers want" or "ACA tried that" etc., maybe you should do your homework as well, re XJT, their management, and what has been released to the public thus far about their intentions. Although, I can't understand why you would even care, since by looking at your profile you're clearly not a regional pilot.

But enough. I'm done with this. I've wasted too much time on it already. Could XJT fail? Absolutely. Will it be an absolute cluster****? Probably not, because the majority of their business is still Continental feed. So they'll try a few new things on the side, see how they work, and go from there.

VABB,

Namaste, To answer your question. I flew at XJT for 9 yrs and anyone there will tell you my attitude and opinions on the matter have not changed with the advent of the RJs. I simply think that all we gave up on the last round of concessions are enough. If the company wants scope relief, they have to show us how we cant operate a larger EMB jet as efficiently as anyone else. With our current work rule provisions being just about the same as the larger regionals, it will be hard to prove. I will never forget where I came from and am one of the biggest supporters of my brothers and sisters at XJT. Just to let you know I had previous 737 expreience before XJT, so its not that i finally made the big time. I honestly think the biggest failure of our profession has been the me attitudes that prevail now. If our profession is to get back where it belongs, it will be up to us to collectively correct it. I doubt the majority of pilots would agree bigger jets at Large regionals is the best for our futures. It really boils my blood that we have people who think whats in it for me without thinking what the repurcussions are. I cussed out just as many of our guys who wished United or USAIR would shut down. They were so wrapped up in theirselves, they didnt think about all the families that would be devastated. I never have and never will have patience for that. I made the arguments for RJS at Mainline 9 yrs ago just the same as I make them today. In all honesty I may not even be at CAL in the next 6 mos. because I have several offers in India. But that doesnt mean I dont care about the future of Continental because I will always keep my fellow employees in my heart. They are my family. I take great pride in doing my part to help make XJT better then it was when I started there. We changed a $28/hr RJ capt to some of the best pay copmared to others. Does that mean the pilots of XJT cant do better? Absolutely not, but at least our mgmt at XJT didnt go slashing pay because of all the changes. They must have failed MGMT 101, but they gained loyal employees. Past and present.

Last edited:
dnkt said:
No one wants 50 seaters. Have you been hiding under a rock?

Chatacaquacacaa wants like 25 CR200s right? I think those have 50 of those things you sit in called seats.

Look, the whole idea about the XR is that it's operationally much easier to deal with than the standard ERJ's.

It's not a revolutionary plane with a seat-mile cost like a 757-300.

We know this.

All people are saying is that it will do better at hot and high airports, and when heavily loaded here. Many times the LR's and EP's are forced to leave people or bags behind due to ZFW or MGLW issues. They also have fuel tanks that are larger and allow you to comfortably fly further, especially when an alternate or two is needed.

So relax already. I know you all are waiting to have a party when we blow up, but it's really in your best interest to keep us around; it keeps the industry pay and work rules average up there, making it more likely you'll get more when your next contract rolls around.

Latest resources

Back