• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

XJT Captain Downgrade Article in NYT

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I hate to say this, but usually big motorcycles & your wife don't mix. It's like kicking your feet up in front of the TV and she's telling that you're not doing anything.

Why should I feel for his self-inflicted financial misery?

How's the old airline pilot saying go? Something like "As your career progresses, keep your F/E wife, F/O house, and keep the CA money in the bank." Something like that... Anyway, I always thought it was pretty good advice.

That should be part of your upgrade indoc.

DoJetDriver question for you. Is the DoJet a different type than the Do prop?

I guess the real lesson is that he upgraded too fast, realistic upgrades don't happen in year two of your airline career. Long before the regionals it was sometimes the case that a new pilot at a major would sit sideways for a decade before even getting as spot as an FO and then Capt. Now, we just have join a regional, (the cheaper the better) and get your PIC logged in two years.

The difference is those F/E's were paid a livable wage. Today's "regional" FO's are not.

Other than pilots being underpaid; this article should be a lesson to every FO out there. When it comes time to upgrade, it doesn't mean you need to rush out and get a bigger house, and a Harley Davidson. If you managed to live on your salary + your wife's salary as an FO, then you don't need to increase your quality of life too much.

I'm not saying don't upgrade your quality of life a little by buying this or that. Just don't buy stuff (like a house) that you couldn't otherwise afford as an FO. Save most of the extra money! The next rainy day in this industry is probably right around the corner.

No surprise that many of the comments missed the point of what is wrong. Instead these Rush Limbaugh loving pilots blame the poor bloke who has dedicated his life to a challenging career which only a few can do and in return gets a steaming pile of crap for pay. RLA needs to be fixed and we need to be able to strike and have more strength in negotiating our pay. The guy has 4 kids and yes, he bought a Harley - I hardly think he is living extravagantly.

I am a bit confused, he downgraded from capt to f/o and is only making $34K after all his years. Air Whiskey and Piedmont pay there fo's as much or more than that with less years on the job. What am I missing. I was always told expressjet had industry leading contract.

I am a bit confused, he downgraded from capt to f/o and is only making $34K after all his years. Air Whiskey and Piedmont pay there fo's as much or more than that with less years on the job. What am I missing. I was always told expressjet had industry leading contract.

AGAIN, I'll repeat it. The "journalist" took so much freedom from face to face interviews, the phone interviews, and the emails to write the story as he saw fit.

The areas that BL tried to emphasize to the "journalist" got ignored, mainly the crappy pay and general decline of the profession.

Even at XJT, a 5th year CA couldn't do 100k a year as the article indicates. Unless he was a LCA, doing OE for 100 hours a month, EVERY month. The figures that BL gave the "journalist" were both best case and worst case.

You have to understand, this is an article in the N.Y. Times.

Awwwww dude, since you put it that way, I'm sorry to come off crass to you. As far as what really happened vs. what the guy wrote in the article, they are different. Unfortunately, the guy in the article has to go on a "clarification tour" of the various message boards to clear it up. As far as BL goes, he's a selfless stand up guy that goes to great lengths to help out our pilots as an MEC volunteer. Often times, banging his head up against a wall with management. Just like all the awesome guys we had representing us in LGA, BOS, and LGA.

BL is a friend of mine. Short version, BL is commuting home, has minimal time to make the commute (NOT DEADHEAD), knows the CA flying the flight. Calls him, requests that he not push early, but DO NOT CAUSE A DELAY for him. CA, obliges, flight pushes 1 minute prior to scheduled go time, and all is good in the universe. That is, till a bunghole "journalist" gets a hold of the story and takes it upon himself to fuk it up.

If you were a CA on the 328, good chance I flew with you. On it from 7/2000 till we flew em down to Myrtle Beach in 2004. A moment of silence for the 328, please.

Number 1 in IAD for July/August 2002, number 2 in BOS from Sept. 2002 till June 2004, number 2 in CVG from July 2004 till the end. Can't remember what I was in LGA, left at the end of June 2002. If I ever jacked a line from you wanted, sorry about that. I usually tried to call the guys bidding below me since we were such a tight group on the that airplane to see if they wanted a specific line if they had something going on, spend more time with their kids, etc do that I wouldn't bid it and free it up for them. Most lines on the plane kinda sucked anyway.

TOGA2TEN, bytches!!!!! Still got a sticker on my roller bag. Viva the Dojet.

Cliff, I KNOW you're on that "other board", so take a look at the thread and read the response from the person the article is about. I could say all sorts of condescending things about your situation and tell you that I have no sympathy for you, or what your "CEO" is dealing with since you make it so public, you're a good guy, but I won't. So do yourself a favor, and read the thread on the other place.

What other place? Pm me.

Latest resources

Back