XJT Captain Downgrade Article in NYT

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Wow, lot of haters out there.
I know the pilot in the article personally. He is a good guy and was asked to do this interview by his MEC in order to highlight the plight of the industry and it's effect on many of us to the general public.
Of course everything in the article is not accurate, that is the way of the media, surely you all know this?
Yep he has four kids, not bad planning on their part, more like a failure of oral contraception (he will tell you if you ask) They have accepted their family additions without regret and continue to raise them without regret. Something to be proud of.
So he bought a bike, big deal, he also sold the bike.
It used to be that pilots always looked out for pilots, guess not here on FI. This is a pilot who volunteers his time to help others despite his difficult situation, that, in my book, is something to be admired.
Some of you need to to think before you type or if you feel you need to comment about his situation or the article, call ALPA, I know he will be glad to discuss it with you.

Wow, lot of haters out there.
I know the pilot in the article personally. He is a good guy and was asked to do this interview by his MEC in order to highlight the plight of the industry and it's effect on many of us to the general public.
Of course everything in the article is not accurate, that is the way of the media, surely you all know this?
Yep he has four kids, not bad planning on their part, more like a failure of oral contraception (he will tell you if you ask) They have accepted their family additions without regret and continue to raise them without regret. Something to be proud of.
So he bought a bike, big deal, he also sold the bike.
It used to be that pilots always looked out for pilots, guess not here on FI. This is a pilot who volunteers his time to help others despite his difficult situation, that, in my book, is something to be admired.
Some of you need to to think before you type or if you feel you need to comment about his situation or the article, call ALPA, I know he will be glad to discuss it with you.

Praise in public; criticize in private. this constitutes private. :)

Kit Darby sell this dream too?

Guys, since 2001 hit, if you are already in the industry, ok, good luck to you. Lets try to get thru this.

However post 9-11, if you went out and became a pilot to chase that airline dream? I am not so sure that was the wisest decision....

My thoughts exactly. At Auburn in the late 90's all I ever heard from my Professors and recent Alumni was how quickly the upgrade times to Captain were and how big of a pilot shortage was coming. My dad even mailed me articles on a regular basis about the coming shortage and we routinely talked about what a good decision I had made in career choices....

What a joke that turned out to be. I graduated from Auburn in 2001 and married my wife on September 8th. Then September 11th happened and I couldn't even get a job as a CFI for 4 or 5 months.

I finally did but I missed the Regional train, twice. By the time the recovery started I had 1800 hours but no multi time. I got the time (100 hours worth) but realized with a 2 year old and a wife that hadn't worked in 3 years I would not be able to afford first year Regional pay and that that ship had sailed, again.

I worked my ass off even flying 1000+ hours in one year (a TON at a non-airline job) just to break 50k to keep the bills paid and eventually it paid off. I got a job at NetJets in 2008. I thought I was done, and probably am, but not before I pay a few more dues in the form of what looks like will be a 2-3 year furlough coming up.

I just don't get why anybody would chase after this career any more and i really don't get why anybody who hadn't already started this career path after 9/11 would have done so. It doesn't make sense.

It just isn't going to be like it used to ever again unless a miracle happens. We are going to need a lot more Sully's on Capitol Hill pleading our case and a lot less embarrassing events like the NWA overshoot debacle for things to change, and even then it will be a slow uphill battle.

Most pilots are very smart people that could have been Lawyers, Doctors, etc. but put their money and education in a different basket. Most are paying off student loans and are way beyond the point of no return. A few break out and take the risk (and rack up the student loans) and change careers, but not many.

If you are still young enough to go back to school and have just a few hundred hours and you had a scholarship, or mom and dad payed for your training and you have the ability to cut and run, I strongly suggest you do so. Develop a career in health care, or law, or some other profession that is stable and pays well. Then pay for your ratings and rent or buy an airplane and get your flying fix that way. You'll enjoy it more when it isn't just a "job" and you won't lose site of how much fun flying can be when you aren't worried about that job all the time.

We as pilots that are already knee deep in the career need to all collectively do what we can to change the public's perception, managements perception, and our own perception of who and what we are. The days of "will fly for food" have got to end. This is a Profession, not a job. We all know that flying airplanes for a living is much more than a technical skill and a base of knowledge.

It is so much more. People used to understand that. It was we that ruined the profession from within. Sorry to all you 200 hour wonders (no offense if circumstances would have been different I would have been right there with you) but I am really glad that H.R. 3371 has passed the House. Hopefully it will be signed into law. This will hopefully cause a positive ripple affect in the industry but it will be up to all of us to hold each other and the profession to a higher standard.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back