• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

XJet lowers minimums to none

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The last time hiring was fast and furious like it is now at the regional level was when the majors were all hiring like crazy with retirements at an all time high.

I don't get why the regionals feel like they have to hire the low timers at his point. This could eventually be a really bad thing the first time an RJ becomes a smoking hole with some kid in the front with about 500 hrs. of total time. My point is I'd rather not have school in session up front while my wife and kids are in the back traveling home for Thanksgiving. There are WAY too many highly qualified people in need of a job for this to be going on.

My guess is that the regionals were able to get by with this the last time they needed tons of pilots and they figured out that these guys are willing to work for next to nothing while being thrilled to fly a jet.

shaq said:
The last time hiring was fast and furious like it is now at the regional level was when the majors were all hiring like crazy with retirements at an all time high.

I don't get why the regionals feel like they have to hire the low timers at his point. This could eventually be a really bad thing the first time an RJ becomes a smoking hole with some kid in the front with about 500 hrs. of total time. My point is I'd rather not have school in session up front while my wife and kids are in the back traveling home for Thanksgiving. There are WAY too many highly qualified people in need of a job for this to be going on.

My guess is that the regionals were able to get by with this the last time they needed tons of pilots and they figured out that these guys are willing to work for next to nothing while being thrilled to fly a jet.
Well, shaq, considering what you probably will pay for that ticket.....you get what you pay for....sorry. The fact of the matter is that a lot of the "highly qualified people" you speak of have a major chip on their shoulder because they got majorly screwed. They don't want to be flying with some 25 year old capt. telling them what to do. Great CRM is going on there.

Also, if you are considered about your safety because of low timers flying you around....don't fly on a European carrier. A lot of those carriers hire pilots with ZERO flight time....British Airways is one of them.

Last edited:
The way I see it, which I know means nothing to anyone, is that the real problem isn't the # of hours the new pilot may have, it's the capability of the training program at the particular airline.

A military pilot can fly and F-15 or similar aircraft with very low time, but he also has a fantastic training program. Most airlines, whether regional or majoar or LCC can't even come close to matching it.

When you combine a poorly trined FO with very little experience, with a relatively inexperienced Captain, which face it is prevalent at many "regional" airlines, it's not a "good" thing.

There have been several incidents/accidents at regional carriers in the last few years that clearly reflect the difficulties associated with these management policies. I can think of one that luckily resulted only in an extremely "hard landing" (but for the grace of God a potential disaster) and a recent upset/crash resulting in the loss of life.

If XJT can provide the required training and does so, it can work. If not, the captain will be flying solo for quite a while. If the CA him/herself is not really experienced, I wouldn't want to be on that airplane when the going gets rough.

I'll probably catch he!! for saying this, but the truth is I'm very selective about which airline I allow my family to use and crew experience is a major factor in that decision.

JMO

Last edited:
I'm sure you're referencing the PCL Flight, which unfortunately will prove both our points. Trying to figure ticket prices in to this is one of the dumbest things I've seen on this board (which is an impressive claim on its own merit). Low ticket prices haven't sunk Southwest, which by the way I prefer to fly for the reasons "surplus1" mentions.

capt. megadeth,

I really don't give two *%^$'s how much anyone pays for the ticket; and I don't think it's to much to ask that the pilot flying sit the bird down within the first third of the runway or otherwise have enough common sense to perform a go-around.

Regards

IMO,
If flying safely was directly correlated to piloting hours and experience in the cockpit, there should be no accidents and incidents at the majors and quite a few more in comparison at the regionals.

The only land-long accident I can recall without searching the internet was by SWA. I don't know the experience level of the crew, but I'd think they had a bit.

Someone actually said that the girl had "the right stuff"......good gawd man.

Anyone with 200 hours has no business flying pax.

shaq said:

Better think again,
Northwest Airlink did put a smokeing hole in the ground.
Only they didn't kill 51 people, As you know only the two pilots were killed.
had there been a full boat, You can bet that things would be very different at the commuter "puppy mills"
P.S.
Not slamming the Commuter guys either, so save your nasty remarks!

shaq said:
capt. megadeth,

I really don't give two *%^$'s how much anyone pays for the ticket; and I don't think it's to much to ask that the pilot flying sit the bird down within the first third of the runway or otherwise have enough common sense to perform a go-around.

Regards
Sitting the bird down in the first 1/3 of the runway has nothing to do with how many hours someone has.

So, how many of you 10,000 hour pilots are willing to fly for a commuter for $20,000 a year? Like I said, you get what you pay for.

Last edited:
Mickey757 said:
Better think again,
Northwest Airlink did put a smokeing hole in the ground.
Only they didn't kill 51 people, As you know only the two pilots were killed.
had there been a full boat, You can bet that things would be very different at the commuter "puppy mills"
P.S.
Not slamming the Commuter guys either, so save your nasty remarks!

:rolleyes:

I'm just going too keep my mouth shut. Christmas has been too good for me to go on an angry rampage.

Mickey757, you are an ass. Nice job refering to the Flagship crash, you are clueless to the actual cause to the crash, right? Were you on the NTSB board? No. You are a moron. You deserve to be taken out back an shot like the tool you are. Merry Christmas. I knew both those guys, there were my friends. And they didn't have 500 hours. D!CK...

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back