• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

WWYD NetJets or Delta?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Pat Fabian - WTF? Your post is tirate, yet your second has good info in it, and your third was about half and half. If you don't like a subject matter, then skip those posts. As for making a decision, I am simply looking for all the facts as well as opinions. I want to know if I may have overlooked something or looked at something incorrectly. My math shows more money at NJA in the long run doing the bare mins and working in the least paying aircraft. Others seem to think DAL will generate greater wealth. That is the type of info I am looking for.

Altscap,
Bad news dude. I know no one at Delta or NetJets. I applied the first week the app window went open. I know people at CAL and that has not gotten me an interview. I have all the requirements for UPS and have not gotten an interview. Stuff happens that is unexplainable. Good luck.

To those that have contributed their opinions and facts, thank you. Neither one of these worlds is quite like the flying in the military (big but not shiny jets) and I am ignorant to both Fracs and 121. I appreciate the insiders info.

I'd like to see that math.

I think Pepper's math takes into account 3.2 furloughs, an ALPA seniority integration based on anything BUT seniority and 3 divorces to make it to the "widebody captain's club". ;)

It's like the old Tortise and the Hare story or a Peppy LePeu cartoon.

I've been at the regionals for over seven years and thought about going to fractionals in the past. I don't know how old you are but let's assume you are in your early thirties....

I personally would go to DAL- you could always STILL go to Netjets in the future if there is another 9/11 type disaster that gets you furloughed at a major. Commuting as a part 121 guy/gal is at least doable and allows you to live almost anywhere. I'm not sure I would try and commute at all (or even how to go about doing it) as a fractional pilot.

Plus, if you get fed up with part 121 flying in your early fifties (assuming the age 60 rule stays the same) then you could still go to NJA and get a good 15 plus years out of it. You would have been able to see both worlds that way if you so desired.

I personally don't think you could easily go to NJA for the next 15 years and then try and switch to an airline. No one would take you seriously in the interview.

Lastly, DAL has probably the BEST travel benefits of any major airline. You and your family can see the world if you want for free if you go at an off-peak time. I guess you could do this to a certain extent with skymiles (generated as a passenger getting to flights for the fractional), but you couldn't do it as often as you could at a major.

Could you please enlighten us as to why NJA pilots wouldn't be taken seriously at an interview? I know NJA pilots that have gone to UPS, Fedex, Continental and other majors. So please let me know why.

I am lucky enough to have job offers to NJA and DAL. I do not have a class date for DAL yet. I am LA bound for NJA. I have been looking at all the variables and have determined that both would be good.

Money - both suck as an FO, but NJA sucks more. As a Capt, NJA eventually appears to win out when you include soft money (holiday, per diem take home vs intl).

Insurance - NJA seems to win.

Travel benefits - DAL clear winner

Retirement - NJA has 50% match, DAL has 2% 401K no match required and 9% contribution into B-Fund. Dealers choice on the winner here. If you can afford to max out, NJA wins. If not, DAL.

Domicile - I am not a huge fan of any of them at DAL and would likely be a commuter. NJA domicile system sucks as well. It is unlikely, in my opinion, that it will ever change. Old guys won't support getting rid of it at if it affects their bottom line and unless you are in LA or TEB, you might not care too much either. I am wondering how people survive in LA. That is a lifetime of Top Ramen. This is a huge factor that gives me the most grief because it affects the next section.

QOL - Commuting would suck - DAL. Living in a closet would suck - NJA in LA. Who is the bigger pain in the arse over the years? Filthy rich or the people in the cattle cars? This is probably one of the more subjective categories to consider, but probably one of the most important

Flying - Knowing where you are going and when, or not having a clue until the gear is up. I have done the later with the military and as long as I am not the one dispatching, I have no problem with that.

Upgrade time guess - NJA 3-5 years people say. DAL 5-10 years thanks to 65.

Short term job security - NJA.

Long term job security - DAL, Delta's pilots will always be around in some form or fashion. NJA could get liquidated if an Aetna guy takes over Berkshire someday and wonders why they have an airline (assume RS and WB are dead).

Have I missed anything to consider? Who would you go with?

Why are you even asking this question? You already know you're going to Delta, if you're trying to brag about just start a thread saying I'm going to delta and your not.

I wouldn't base a job on travel benefits (begging for a ride)

My wife is trying to get to cdg. She's on the third flight of the night still waiting waiting waiting.

Yeah I'll use my miles and buy a positive space ticket over that "travel bennie" anytime.

Could you please enlighten us as to why NJA pilots wouldn't be taken seriously at an interview? I know NJA pilots that have gone to UPS, Fedex, Continental and other majors. So please let me know why.

It probably doesn't help that we refuse to remove the big red clown noses and giant oversized shoes before the interview.........:D

Believe me...its not bragging when you talk about going to ANY major airline.

Delta, Union Continental American, SouthWest JetBlue...all included. You're just setting yourself up for the next round of furlough/concessions.

Good luck out there folks.....it ain't what it used to be.

Travel Bennies

I wouldn't base a job on travel benefits (begging for a ride)

My wife is trying to get to cdg. She's on the third flight of the night still waiting waiting waiting.

Yeah I'll use my miles and buy a positive space ticket over that "travel bennie" anytime.

Diesel, non-rev travel is a skill that one hones over a career. You didn't mention what sort of a pass or ticket your wife was on, but Delta provides a web-site that allows you to avoid heavily booked or over booked flights. Non-rev travel is, just as you say, "begging for a ride".

Just as you wouldn't ask a street person for a hand-out, you don't try to non-rev on certain flights. I've heard hundreds of horror stories about non-revs being stranded in all sorts of places. That's the downside of getting a free ride. I can tell you that with care and pre-planning, my family (we had six kids!) and I travelled virtually everywhere we wanted and in 28 years, we spent exactly two unplanned nights in a hotel. Not a bad record for a gazillion (that's more than a hundred) free flights, many in first class or busines class!

Is it worth making a career decision over? Heck, no.

Is it a nice benefit? Yes, it is a whale of a good benefit.

Since this thread was ostensibly about DAL v NJA, various aspects weigh in. My personal opinion is that non-rev on Delta beats the airline miles I get from NetJets. Both are great benefits, but they are not equal.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back