• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

WWYD NetJets or Delta?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Diesel, non-rev travel is a skill that one hones over a career. You didn't mention what sort of a pass or ticket your wife was on, but Delta provides a web-site that allows you to avoid heavily booked or over booked flights. Non-rev travel is, just as you say, "begging for a ride".

Just as you wouldn't ask a street person for a hand-out, you don't try to non-rev on certain flights. I've heard hundreds of horror stories about non-revs being stranded in all sorts of places. That's the downside of getting a free ride. I can tell you that with care and pre-planning, my family (we had six kids!) and I travelled virtually everywhere we wanted and in 28 years, we spent exactly two unplanned nights in a hotel. Not a bad record for a gazillion (that's more than a hundred) free flights, many in first class or busines class
Is it worth making a career decision over? Heck, no.

Is it a nice benefit? Yes, it is a whale of a good benefit.

Since this thread was ostensibly about DAL v NJA, various aspects weigh in. My personal opinion is that non-rev on Delta beats the airline miles I get from NetJets. Both are great benefits, but they are not equal.

Mite,
Without a delta pass would you have even considered a NJA job? I don't think you live near PBI. Just an honest question.

CA1900...my kids love to put a tac in their wall-sized map of the U.S. when I tell them where I'm going. Though being a charter whore doesn't afford me the schedule of NJA, like you, I enjoy the spontaneous flying. Flying out of BOS today to Auburn, AL I can't tell you how many 121 guys sounded not so happy on the radio. Not that I'm the happiest camper at the KOA, but some of the East Coast fliers just sounded...well...like they hated being restricted in speed, or holding for EWR (again) or...great, another BWI turn.

My Friend, It really is elementary...... QOL...QOL..QOL!!!

It's all how you interpret those three letters.

I happen to enjoy the week on week off, cater to Thurston and Lovey life style I have at NJA. Having worked both ends of the spectrum 121 Vs Frac., They both have plusses and minuses.... Just go with your gut, and you wont be dissapointed.

Just dont look back when you decide.

Dr Pepper and I are in similar situations, except JB is my other option. I think most on here are familiar with my situation.

For us it is such a tough choice because we have no experience whatsoever in either type of flying. If I go to NJA I will always wonder how that 121 flying would have been and vice-versa. I think the majority of people who stay at NJA long term have done the 121 thing so they go to NJA knowing for sure that is what they want to do.

Which schedule is better for my family? 7/7? 4/3? I have no idea.

Will I get bored flying the same routes over and over again in 121? Probably. I know I do in the C-5. Will I like the day to day scheduling predictability? Probably.

A lot of unknowns out there as well. Will HBA come back at some point in time? If I knew for sure it was, I'd be at NJA in a heartbeat. Will JB be in business in 5 years? I think so but who knows for sure.

This flying biz is tough stuff. I appreciate all the posts and PMs I've received on the subject. A decision has to be made at some point, but the reality is that it could very well end up being the wrong one.

Last edited:
I am trying to get out of the 121 world myself. I couldn't be more bored with this flying. I don't know if someone can turn down a Delta offer because that type of offer doesn't come around very often and Delta is set to grow. That said, Netjets offers a better lifestyle with the 7/7 and more interesting flying in my opinion. I would love to fly a G200 or Sovereign to remote and scenic airports. But instead I spend a lot of time holding near ATL or DTW. A tough choice.

Dr Pepper and I are in similar situations, except JB is my other option. I think most on here are familiar with my situation.

For us it is such a tough choice because we have no experience whatsoever in either type of flying. If I go to NJA I will always wonder how that 121 flying would have been and vice-versa. I think the majority of people who stay at NJA long term have done the 121 thing so they go to NJA knowing for sure that is what they want to do.

Which schedule is better for my family? 7/7? 4/3? I have no idea.

Will I get bored flying the same routes over and over again in 121? Probably. I know I do in the C-5. Will I like the day to day scheduling predictability? Probably.

A lot of unknowns out there as well. Will HBA come back at some point in time? If I knew for sure it was, I'd be at NJA in a heartbeat. Will JB be in business in 5 years? I think so but who knows for sure.

This flying biz is tough stuff. A decision has to be made at some point, but the reality is that it could very well end up being the wrong one.

Fortunately, you have two strong choices. Do your due diligence, ask a lot of questions from pilots at both companies, create a pro/cons list for each and then, after that analysis, go with your gut feeling. At least you don't have shiney-jet syndrome because you already fly the biggest aircraft out there (C-5)...

CA1900...my kids love to put a tac in their wall-sized map of the U.S. when I tell them where I'm going. Though being a charter whore doesn't afford me the schedule of NJA, like you, I enjoy the spontaneous flying. Flying out of BOS today to Auburn, AL I can't tell you how many 121 guys sounded not so happy on the radio. Not that I'm the happiest camper at the KOA, but some of the East Coast fliers just sounded...well...like they hated being restricted in speed, or holding for EWR (again) or...great, another BWI turn.

My daughters High School teachers love it as each night I call her I tell her where I am and get her to look up some general details and then I take pics and she shows everyone. So she is also learning some really good geography lessons.
Now when I was 121 I missed just as many visits and birthdays as I have at the fracs. The biggest difference I am happy and she sees it.

Bailey

My daughters High School teachers love it as each night I call her I tell her where I am and get her to look up some general details and then I take pics and she shows everyone. So she is also learning some really good geography lessons.

Considering my 4 year old knows where Lafayette, Salina, and Jackson Hole are, I'd say when he gets into Kindergarten this fall he'll probably get the same reactions. He always asks me where I am and then has Mom help him find it most of the times, but then he remembers. Kids have great memories like that I've realized.

Someone said it earlier, man...QOL. That sums it up. I, myself, like the idea of 7 off. Most of my friends are 121 and it seems after they commute home, they get a couple days off and then its time to commute back to base. Invest in a webcam, too...my kids love it. Hell, that's how I spent my daughter's 1st birthday last December. But at least I was able to watch the entire 4 hours and chat with all my family and friends who were there.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

I cant imagine that you would consider DAL......All it takes a little hiccup in the economy and you'll be right back here asking us if you should come to work for a frac.......Drop the "Im an airline pilot" ego and think about your future.

but dont take my word for it.....do what you want.

my opinion.......i would leave for double salary to go for an airline.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back