WWYD NetJets or Delta?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Dr Pepper

I am lucky enough to have job offers to NJA and DAL. I do not have a class date for DAL yet. I am LA bound for NJA. I have been looking at all the variables and have determined that both would be good.

Money - both suck as an FO, but NJA sucks more. As a Capt, NJA eventually appears to win out when you include soft money (holiday, per diem take home vs intl).

Insurance - NJA seems to win.

Travel benefits - DAL clear winner

Retirement - NJA has 50% match, DAL has 2% 401K no match required and 9% contribution into B-Fund. Dealers choice on the winner here. If you can afford to max out, NJA wins. If not, DAL.

Domicile - I am not a huge fan of any of them at DAL and would likely be a commuter. NJA domicile system sucks as well. It is unlikely, in my opinion, that it will ever change. Old guys won't support getting rid of it at if it affects their bottom line and unless you are in LA or TEB, you might not care too much either. I am wondering how people survive in LA. That is a lifetime of Top Ramen. This is a huge factor that gives me the most grief because it affects the next section.

QOL - Commuting would suck - DAL. Living in a closet would suck - NJA in LA. Who is the bigger pain in the arse over the years? Filthy rich or the people in the cattle cars? This is probably one of the more subjective categories to consider, but probably one of the most important

Flying - Knowing where you are going and when, or not having a clue until the gear is up. I have done the later with the military and as long as I am not the one dispatching, I have no problem with that.

Upgrade time guess - NJA 3-5 years people say. DAL 5-10 years thanks to 65.

Short term job security - NJA.

Long term job security - DAL, Delta's pilots will always be around in some form or fashion. NJA could get liquidated if an Aetna guy takes over Berkshire someday and wonders why they have an airline (assume RS and WB are dead).

Have I missed anything to consider? Who would you go with?

It's a no brainer. You will work less and make more over your lifetime at Delta. It will suck at first but in the long run you will be happy you did it. They screwed me (Delta and ALPA) but getting in now will ceratinly be o your advantage.

Well another 9/11 or something close and the airlines will spiral into crap again. Delta could just as easily disappear in 5 years. NJA IMO will be around for a long time. They have a product that is unmatched. Yeah there are other fractionals, but none could take up the slack if NJA wasn't here.. It's all a crapshoot.. Good luck though..

Who is the bigger pain in the arse over the years? Filthy rich or the people in the cattle cars? This is probably one of the more subjective categories to consider, but probably one of the most important.

The people that we fly at NetJets are, generally speaking, great folks. Yes there are people that can be less than pleasant, but the majority of our owners are a pleasure to fly. You will have the opportunity to meet some very interesting people as well.

I've been at the regionals for over seven years and thought about going to fractionals in the past. I don't know how old you are but let's assume you are in your early thirties....

I personally would go to DAL- you could always STILL go to Netjets in the future if there is another 9/11 type disaster that gets you furloughed at a major. Commuting as a part 121 guy/gal is at least doable and allows you to live almost anywhere. I'm not sure I would try and commute at all (or even how to go about doing it) as a fractional pilot.

Plus, if you get fed up with part 121 flying in your early fifties (assuming the age 60 rule stays the same) then you could still go to NJA and get a good 15 plus years out of it. You would have been able to see both worlds that way if you so desired.

I personally don't think you could easily go to NJA for the next 15 years and then try and switch to an airline. No one would take you seriously in the interview.

Lastly, DAL has probably the BEST travel benefits of any major airline. You and your family can see the world if you want for free if you go at an off-peak time. I guess you could do this to a certain extent with skymiles (generated as a passenger getting to flights for the fractional), but you couldn't do it as often as you could at a major.

Last edited:
I don't agree that NJA is likely to be sold but I suppose anything is possible. I would argue that long term security is much better with NJA then at DAL - simply because NJA has about 75% market share with no serious competition (for now). DAL cringes every time someone starts a fare war. Ever hear of a fare war in the fractional market? Our owners are not going back to the airlines unless they run out of money but the great thing about that is that even if one does leave there is a waiting list for his spot.

Delta hands down.Or get the coffee & ice and push those turds down the crapper and then change out the lav.Oh and dont forget my bags boy!!!

You will work less and make more over your lifetime at Delta.
The average NJA pilot flys 400 hours per year.

Travel benefits? Where can you go? Flights these days are packed. Flight bennies these days are pretty worthless. First class sections are shrinking and coach is always filled, especially somewhere you would want to go on vacation.

You ever try non-reving with a family?!?:eek: No thanks, I would rather buy my tickets. Travel benefits are NOT a benefit anymore in the 121 world, that is unless you are without family. And if you are, how long will that last???
Travel benefits are a joke.

Long term job security - DAL, Delta's pilots will always be around in some form or fashion.

That's what they said about Eastern. And Braniff. And TWA. And Pan Am. The fact that DAL just came out of bankruptcy is a clue that there's a long road ahead to any kind of security.

NJA could get liquidated if an Aetna guy takes over Berkshire someday and wonders why they have an airline (assume RS and WB are dead).

No aviation job is guaranteed to be around in the future. Not NJA, not Delta. If I had to put my money on only one of the two being around in 20 hours, it'd be NetJets.

Latest resources

Back