• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

WWYD NetJets or Delta?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Are you really going to make your decision based on us jokers at Flightinfo? Go to Netjets, here at Delta we hire people that can make decisions.

I mean really, you can't decide whether you want to throw bags on a Citation and ride around in the back of airliners all the time, always on reserve vs. a major airline career?

Last edited:
Go to Netjets, here at Delta we hire people that can make decisions.

"Hmmm... do I get the Panda Express again, or the 5-way chili from the other place? So many decisions...." :p

Believe me, people who can't handle making decisions on their own wouldn't survive a week on the line at NJA. We have to be able to operate independently due to the very nature of an on-demand, dynamic operation. When's the last time your passengers said to you, "We've decided to cancel the meeting; take us to Vegas instead!" ;)

Are you really going to make your decision based on us jokers at Flightinfo?
Oh that, we totally agree!

I mean really, you can't decide whether you want to throw bags on a Citation and ride around in the back of airliners all the time, always on reserve...
You really don't understand our operation, do you? I do indeed ride in the back of airliners -- a couple of times a week, max, and schlepping around a commercial airline terminal is the worst part of the job, bar none. ATL is my personal definition of hell on earth.

Today my "throwing bags" consisted of opening the door, putting a set of golf clubs in the back, and flying halfway across the country eating a catered salmon dinner and enjoying the sights. Relaxed at an FBO lounge for a few hours while catching up with a couple of old friends I ran into, then flew a half hour ferry flight to finish my day. And I haven't had a TSA probe in two weeks! Can you say the same?

I'm glad you like your job at Delta. I like my job at NetJets. Your job has no appeal to me, mine has no appeal to you. So we're both in the right place. :D

Last edited:
Are you really going to make your decision based on us jokers at Flightinfo? Go to Netjets, here at Delta we hire people that can make decisions.

I mean really, you can't decide whether you want to throw bags on a Citation and ride around in the back of airliners all the time, always on reserve vs. a major airline career?

Well you seem to think your opinion has some validity.....oh and it's posted on Flightinfo.
Netjets isn't for everyone, hope things work out for you at Delta.

Work for BOTH!!

Work at DAL till 65 and then come to NetJets when your retirement goes buh bye and you need to pay off 3 X-wives!! :nuts:

After thinking long and hard about this one, I would probably go to Delta just because I think it is the best Legacy carrier out there. I probably would go to NJA over any other 121 operation including SWA. However, Delta is another story and it is expanding like crazy this year - I hear 500 pilots will be added in 2007 alone. I've also heard that there were 30+ 757/767 FO domestic slots in Atlanta left open in the last bid - vacancies. 767ER FO (international) slots out of JFK can be bid after 1-2 years or you could even get it right off the bat if international flying is your thing (Moscow in the winter would suck but Nice, France would be fun). I believe most newhires are getting LGA MD88 but there might be some other slots available. A big 787 order will likely be announced at the Paris Air Show in a few weeks.

The types of flying are very different and you have to decide if you want more of a routine vs. more adhoc flying. Netjets is an absolute leader in its market and should be fairly solid going forward. I personally think Netjets flying would be more fun and interesting.

Tough call - both are good choices in the end. Good luck!

Hey guys, not busting on Netjets. I just get tired of reading the endless "should I work here or here" threads. I flew 135 while furloughed and always thought the Netjets guys flew for a quality operation and were great to hang out with. If I wasn't flying here at DAL, I would enjoy flying there I am sure.

But the two operations from a pilots perspective couldn't be more different. When I arrive at my destination after a long duty day, my transportation is waiting for me...I don't have to get into a rental car and find my hotel in a strange city. When my plane is broken, someone else worries about it...I don't have to babysit the airplane. My schedule is tailored as much as my seniority will allow. Since I have a line, I don't even have to give DAL my home number....just one for emergencies. The first class meals are just as delicious as yours are, except I have a bit more room to stretch out while I eat. Delta is extremely well organized...things happen as planned, generally. My family appreciates that. I don't miss flying out of tiny airports on a foggy morning, hoping I don't hit a bunch of deer at V1. I don't miss cleaning the lav and playing flight attendant. I don't miss spending hours in a hotel waiting around for something to do, although I do miss some FBO coffee (signature).

I've flown the rich and famous before and flown some nice looking, fun-to-fly business jets, but I couldn't give a rats a$$ about who I am flying around. To me, its about pay and a balance between work life and family life.

You guys at Netjets do a great job....its just at a major 121 operation, all you need to really worry about is pilot stuff and its a real pleasure.

Again...its such different styles of flying, I can't believe anyone would be at a crossroads.

Hey guys, not busting on Netjets. I just get tired of reading the endless "should I work here or here" threads. I flew 135 while furloughed and always thought the Netjets guys flew for a quality operation and were great to hang out with. If I wasn't flying here at DAL, I would enjoy flying there I am sure.

But the two operations from a pilots perspective couldn't be more different. When I arrive at my destination after a long duty day, my transportation is waiting for me...I don't have to get into a rental car and find my hotel in a strange city. When my plane is broken, someone else worries about it...I don't have to babysit the airplane. My schedule is tailored as much as my seniority will allow. Since I have a line, I don't even have to give DAL my home number....just one for emergencies. The first class meals are just as delicious as yours are, except I have a bit more room to stretch out while I eat. Delta is extremely well organized...things happen as planned, generally. My family appreciates that. I don't miss flying out of tiny airports on a foggy morning, hoping I don't hit a bunch of deer at V1. I don't miss cleaning the lav and playing flight attendant. I don't miss spending hours in a hotel waiting around for something to do, although I do miss some FBO coffee (signature).

I've flown the rich and famous before and flown some nice looking, fun-to-fly business jets, but I couldn't give a rats a$$ about who I am flying around. To me, its about pay and a balance between work life and family life.

You guys at Netjets do a great job....its just at a major 121 operation, all you need to really worry about is pilot stuff and its a real pleasure.

Again...its such different styles of flying, I can't believe anyone would be at a crossroads.

I have never waited on transportation and if a plane is broke we go to a hotel if another is not available. It sounds like you have worked here, but it must have been before the new contract. The only place I would go from netjets is FedEx. Some people like trains, some like buses but a growing number likes the Fracs. I had 24 days off as a first year FO for vacation, one sick day per month, dont spend the per diem, plush hotels with free cook to order b'fast, and If you are really tired........no carpet dance with the CP, just go to the hotel for 14 hrs rest. The airlines can kiss my...........vacation days! Each to his/her own, but I am done interviewing at 28 yrs old unless China gets a nuc over this way!

Delta may be hiring 500 pilots this year, but it's still a "who's your buddy" world out there. The guy who started this thread, Dr. Pepper, has an offer from Delta with 2,200 hours total flight time and a military background; I won't begin to speculate who he knows on the Delta hiring board. I am a former Delta Employee (10 years ago) with 6,700 hours of total civilian time, the majority of which is Part 121, yet I have no contacts from my old job or with the upper echelon of Delta society. My app. has been in airapps since December and I have three letters of recommendation (non internal). All I'm getting from Delta is crickets. Am I bitter? I admit it, yes. Do I deserve the job? Maybe. Do I deserve an interview at least? Who can say. But I would still take the offer if I had it. I'll leave it up to you to decide who is more qualified.

On the other hand, I e-mailed a resume and cover letter to Netjets on May 21 and had an application in my mail box on the 28th. Everyone is talking about the pay and the types of flying. And I would LOVE to crew a 757 or 787, but, who is going to treat you like a human being and who is going to treat you like a number. Plus, I've been told that it's sometime possible to catch a NetJets flight that's headed in the general direction you might want to go during your days off. I have no idea what to expect from Netjets, but it's better than watching the deathspiral my company has entered due to inept mgmt. and I'm excited about the opportunity. Plus, the Falcon 2000EX has the most amazing avionics package I've ever seen, that's got to be worth one brownie point.

All you can do is decide what is right for your particular situation, and enjoy the unique predicament you've found yourself in.

Last edited:
Altscap,

I'm sorry you haven't heard from Delta yet...I've been trying to get a couple of my civillian friends on here, and they've heard nothing. Its still early in the hiring game...and right now most of the hiring is civillian too. Its a competitive world out there...many people scrambling for limited positions. You can't start thinking "I deserve a job"...that's a dead end street, my friend.

As for who will treat you like a number vs. a person? Give me a break....if a company gives you an employee number, thats what you are...a resource to be managed until you leave the company. Delta, Netjets, SWA, are all big corporations that do not exist to employee you, hold your hand, make sure you are fulfilled and happy..etc. That's for you to find. At any job, its the people that make the difference...I've been at DAL 8 years and I've made a bunch of life-long friends. I know most of the captains I fly with and we have a blast.

As for the guy that thinks he is done interviewing at 28, I certainly hope you are correct. Most people in aviation, however, have found it doesn't always play out that way.

Good luck all, you can have this "who's job is better" thread. Its funny...for the last 5-6 years the airlines have been in the crapper, all I've read on this forum is how the legacy's suck...jetBlue is the future, Independence Air will change everything, the RJDC will prevail, Delta will be gone by 2006, etc. Now that we are hiring, everyone wants an interview...everyone wants to debate contracts, everyone wants to be hired immediately. Amazing.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back