• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

WSK on Pilot Banter, Training Records, & Crew Rest / Commuting

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Question, at what time did this trip paring begin? Ok so, we know they were awake in the middle of the night; but, before actully reporting did they have time to grab some power naps?

Question, at what time did this trip paring begin? Ok so, we know they were awake in the middle of the night; but, before actully reporting did they have time to grab some power naps?
I read somewhere it was a nooner....but you know the media and their inability to report facts.

There have been numerous incidents (read near-accidents) caused by partial automation than you know... I wish unions would publish more of the ASAP and FOQA data.

I watched a crew almost crash a 717 in PHF trying to let the automation land in crappy weather with high gusty winds, they went around and tried the approach 3 times before they landed it, and STILL came within inches of dragging the wingtip. We had just landed hours before in WORSE winds without a problem... Challenging? Yes. Close to causing an accident like they did? No way.

Automation is one of the things that's making aviation safer, but it's also creating pi$$-poor stick and rudder pilots that can't hack it when the rubber meets the road. If a pilots doesn't think they can (and should) fly the airplane better than the automation when things are dicey, maybe they should find a different line of work?
Well said. There is a whole new generation of magenta line dependants who fly like s**t!

Sounds like an awful deficiency in your training department, 70. Hopefully your guys will learn how to hand-fly better.

Sounds like an awful deficiency in your training department, 70. Hopefully your guys will learn how to hand-fly better.
It's not just one place, it's been 3 that I've flown at, and 2 others that I've spoken to CIRP and Training Department ALPA volunteers. The data is disturbing...

Like JimCav said, I've heard to them referred to as "children of the magenta" from more than one check airman and not in a nice way...

Latest resources

Back