• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

WSJ slams Colgan (5/11)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
if you lie down with a dog, you're gonna get fleas.

everybody smelled it coming, but hates when you rush to judgment. sadly, "where there is smoke there is fire" is also true.

unless the chick was in training, I could see how skiing made her as useful as the 'backup" as the pillow in row 9. An FO has alot of responsibility, maybe this can create the awareness now. "who am I flying with in the left seat could be asked at every carrier in the world."

wonder if a new "no fly list" made up of pilots will be coming. the pasengers leave the gate when his name pops up on the headliner for the flight.. I see it coming

The whole report screams "crew fatigue" to me. I hope the NTSB gives that issue the attention it needs.

How does it scream fatigue?? It was the first day of their pairing?

How long was the duty day?

Sorry, but I think that is a stretch.

Looks like both pilots dropped the ball. Tragic outcome for a few minutes of inattention.

Maybe this will raise awareness in our favor regarding pilot pay and a shortage of QUALIFIED pilots. Bottom feeder airlines can sometimes only hire those pilots who are lacking in skills and are willing to accept lower pay and substandard work rules to get themselves into the seat of an airliner.

We know that the most competitive jobs are those with high paying position such as most majors (SWA, DAL, FedEx, UPS come to mind.) Their screening practices make it almost impossible for someone with such a terrible pass/fail record to ever get hired. Yet bottom-feeders such as Pinnacle, Colgan, Gulfstream, etc will look the other way and hire these pilots and also pay them rock bottom wages.

If the general flying public knew of these practices, they would almost be affraid of flying on a network carrier's regional partner who starts their pilots pay at 19K for the first year. The only people willing to take that abuse are the 250 hr wonders and the pilots with a shaky flying background.

Maybe this will raise awareness in our favor regarding pilot pay and a shortage of QUALIFIED pilots. Bottom feeder airlines can sometimes only hire those pilots who are lacking in skills and are willing to accept lower pay and substandard work rules to get themselves into the seat of an airliner.

We know that the most competitive jobs are those with high paying position such as most majors (SWA, DAL, FedEx, UPS come to mind.) Their screening practices make it almost impossible for someone with such a terrible pass/fail record to ever get hired. Yet bottom-feeders such as Pinnacle, Colgan, Gulfstream, etc will look the other way and hire these pilots and also pay them rock bottom wages.

If the general flying public knew of these practices, they would almost be affraid of flying on a network carrier's regional partner who starts their pilots pay at 19K for the first year. The only people willing to take that abuse are the 250 hr wonders and the pilots with a shaky flying background.

Nicely said but the average pax does not really care unless they are affected by ticket prices.

Not to defend a history of failure but....Don't know where you flew the CL & 1900? Did your company just hire 3000hr+ pilots? Pretty sure all regionals were hiring low time people in the past few years.

All regionals as of 18 months ago were hiring pilots at 1000/100. Not just a few. In addition 5 checkrides that were busted by the Captain with 2 at Colgan. Ok so were the other 3, his PPL, IRA, CMEL, what were they? If they were the basics of a student pilot I dont want to hear about it in this reporting. Now the 2 at Colgan, many dont pass their initial Captain upgrade, and lets face it some FO's have issues during initial. The fact is there's a reason we retrain and the FAA is ok with that. Its because NO pilots are PERFECT. Maybe you havent busted a ride, perhaps you are lucky, but on any given day the FAA could FAIL any pilot on ANYTHING if they wanted. GOt news, NONE of us are perfect.

I remember seeing that there was a Colgan Pilot on the flight as a pax. Anyone know if he/she was Occupying the Jumpseat?

many don't pass their initial captain upgrade

the pressure of a type is really just that..pressure. if you can't handle that, how will do in a real emergency?

Buy or sell your statement? I'm not buying...your comment suggest that a majority fail their type ride..simply not true...

Latest resources

Back