• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

WSJ slams Colgan (5/11)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
According to the CVR she had 1600 when she was hired.

HOT-2
I've never seen icing conditions. I've never deiced. I've never seen any—
I've never experienced any of that. I don't want to have to experience that
and make those kinds of calls. you know I'dve freaked out. I'dve have like

seen this much ice and thought oh my gosh we were going to crash.

This whole thing is very sad.

625 hours? I know you have to start somewhere but damn.

And how is most of that twin turbine time? Was he blowing warm air up his FO's skirt? Did he get his private license in a jet?

Last edited:
In general, I feel that a low time FO is not a safety hazard alone, but when combined with an inexperienced captain, it is a recipe for disaster. The problem lies with the rapid upgrade times. A 1000hr FO knows enough to watch and learn for a few years. However, he will not learn enough in two years to then be ready to captain the ship with another 1000hr FO.

I think you find a safer approach to flying at places like Eagle and ComAir (despite the Lexington accident) because you don't have low time upgrades. Same applies with the major airlines. You are going to see places like RAH and Skywest develop a safer approach to flying as the sit in the right seat grows from 2 years to 5.

As for 250 and 500 hour FOs, well that is just stupid. I have seen those guys fly the heck out of the sim, but they just haven't seen enough to develop proper reactions to sudden events, or thorough thought processes for handling complex weather or rerouting situations.

I think that part 135 PIC minimums ought to apply to part 121 FO's as well. If you aren't ready to handle a cherokee with checks, you aren't ready to wrestle a Dash 8 or a CRJ full of people. Also, if everyone had to acquire 1200 hours to make it, the herd waiting outside the gate would be a lot thinner.

On the money.

It makes perfect sense. Do you have any idea how much damage and destruction Gulfstream Academy has had on our airline industry?!?
Come on!

Was the pinnacle crj crew GIA as well?

HOT-2
I've never seen icing conditions. I've never deiced. I've never seen any—
I've never experienced any of that. I don't want to have to experience that
and make those kinds of calls. you know I'dve freaked out. I'dve have like

seen this much ice and thought oh my gosh we were going to crash.

Read the CVR she said that was she was thinking on her first day of groundschool. What Phoenix pilot wouldn't say that? She later said she was much more comfortable now (then).

Latest resources

Back